Beginner takedown recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner takedown recurve

Looking at possibly getting into trad. Figured I'd like to start out with a takedown I can get different limbs for as i progress. Seems best to start out around 30-35lbs and as I get better go up from there. Any suggestions? Hopefully keeping it in the 2-300 range. Thanks.

You can get a brand new Samick Sage takedown recurve for under $150. Ditch the string that comes on it, and replace with a good flemish twist string, and you will be good to go. They are not the prettiest recurves out there, but they function well, and are a great starter bow. You can get new limb sets for about $70 as you progress. Also, if for some wierd reason you did not take to trad shooting, you can resell the Sage with not too bad of a loss.

Good luck!

Bisch

Comment

Bisch pretty much nailed it. The sage is also a proven killer. I killed my first critter with one and used it for bowfishing after I moved on to a prettier bow.

Comment

^^^ this^^^

Comment

+1 on the Samick Sage. It’s the Remington 870 of Trad Archery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            Bisch pretty much nailed it. The sage is also a proven killer. I killed my first critter with one and used it for bowfishing after I moved on to a prettier bow.

Did the same myself!!

Then took some crappie tourney winning and picked up a new to me stick slinger!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank guys. Definitely looks like the sage is the go to and have money left for arrows,glove,etc

Comment

The next thing you need to work out... and this is the most important... is finding somebody in your area who shoots traditional to teach you up a little. Just one hour spent with somebody who has been shooting trad for more than a couple years will help you tremendously.

Comment

The next thing you need to work out... and this is the most important... is finding somebody in your area who shoots traditional to teach you up a little. Just one hour spent with somebody who has been shooting trad for more than a couple years will help you tremendously.
                  Yes I would like to find someone nearby that could help me out a bit. I have the room in my backyard for practice up to 60yds or so and a ton of rabbits to practice on as well.

Comment

The Sage is definately not a pretty bow but it isn't actually that ugly. It is a shooter though for sure. You will not regret the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishxbones View Post
                      Yes I would like to find someone nearby that could help me out a bit. I have the room in my backyard for practice up to 60yds or so and a ton of rabbits to practice on as well.
                      Some people have all the luck!

Comment

Some people have all the luck!
                        You can have em! Lol been hell keeping them from eating my whole backyard. Taken quite a few with my kids bb gun but doesnt put a dent in the population.

Comment

Following, been considering doing the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My first one was a Samick Sage also. They're hard to beat for the money, and I still take mine on every hunting trip out of town as a backup bow. In fact it'll be going to Colorado as my backup in a couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishxbones View Post
                              You can have em! Lol been hell keeping them from eating my whole backyard. Taken quite a few with my kids bb gun but doesnt put a dent in the population.
                              Now you are just bragging!

Comment

Working...
                              X