Fletching got me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletching got me!

I remember the shot this happened. 3rd to last shot and I saw the arrow jump a little and felt it in my hand. Didn't think much of it, figured I didn't pay attention to my grip.

Well I ran aome errands and felt the sting on my hand and noticed a paper cut. Then I found this in my finger (didn't feel it.) That is fletching splintered in my finger!

Only thing I can think of is that one got bent forward and caught my hand on the way through!

And the index feather had to have been facing in instead of out for me to have fletching contact on my hand like that. I have tried that intentionally before (to see what flight would be like if I nocked it wrong in the dark) but never had an issue.

Comment

Never had that happen. I have seen worse pics where it slices pretty deep. That's crazy

Comment

Do you put a drop of glue on the very front tip of the quill when you glue the feathers on?
        If you don't...those quills hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
          Do you put a drop of glue on the very front tip of the quill when you glue the feathers on?
          If you don't...those quills hurt.
          Yes I did. Still can't find where it came from either

Comment

I had a selfbow with left helical fletched arrows that would do that to me every once in a while. I have never had it happen with right helical feathers.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              I had a selfbow with left helical fletched arrows that would do that to me every once in a while. I have never had it happen with right helical feathers.

Bisch
              These were fletched right helical too. It is pretty obvious that I had it rotated 180 degrees off because I can connect the cut and splinter with the fletching if I do that.

Funny thing is I saw the back kick and thought I must have hit it with the riser and figured I threw the shot. I was focusing on a yellow spot on a burlap bag at sunset at 18 yards. When I pulled the arrow, I was only 2" off.

Comment

I sometimes cut the tip of the quill square apply a drop of glue over it to prevent this.
                It's happened to me before (with a longbow, never a recurve)
                It wasn't as bad.

Comment

Come by and see us Wednesday, I'll show you a trick to make sure this never happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                    Come by and see us Wednesday, I'll show you a trick to make sure this never happens again.
                    Wish I could. With it being the last week before the Christmas break... every evening is packed with some sort of activity/party.

You'll just have to spill the beans in text if you want to save my bow hand from future trauma!

Comment

Quit shooting off your knugle. Knugle head! Lol

Comment

Said one knugle dragger to another!!!!!

Comment

I usually wrap the quill end of the fletching with thread of a compatible color to avoid that kind of fun. I put a drop of super glue on the fletching, wrap the thread until the quill is completely covered, put another drop of super glue on the thread and the use the tip of the glue bottle to smooth the glue out over the thread. Let it dry, ideally overnight, and you shouldn't have that problem again.

Comment

Working...
                          X