Plastic Barrel for feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic Barrel for feeder?

I've got a bunch of 55 gallon blue UV water barrels and wondering if they'd be ok to make deer feeders out of. Anybody used plastic ones before? I've only done metal but couldn't see why the plastic wouldn't work. These are very rigid.

They get the job done

Comment

Squirrells will destroy them..been there.

Comment

Squirrels eat em and they will sweat on the inside at times. I prefer metal

Comment

If you don't have squirrels, you'll be good. Squirrels will gnaw holes right at the junction of the bottom and sides and literally empty them out in no time...

Comment

i had one for a couple of years till the squirrels found it. Then I just flattened a coke can for a patch used some silicone and drywall screws made it last another year.

Comment

They make for great alfalfa gravity feeders.

Comment

I should have clarified that intend to do a gravity protein setup. I can buy some metal barrels but I've got a bunch of these so might make use of them.

Comment

If you never let it go empty and do not install a varmint cage, the squirrels will usually leave it alone.
                  I had one of the cheap Remington plastic barrel feeders from Academy.
                  Every thing was fine for 2 years, then I let it go empty one spring.
                  Squirrels chewed holes in the barrel to get to the little bit of corn left inside.

IMO, I'd stick with metal barrels though and use the plastic water barrels for hauling liquids.

Comment

Originally posted by mdmorrow View Post
                    I should have clarified that intend to do a gravity protein setup. I can buy some metal barrels but I've got a bunch of these so might make use of them.
                    That may be OK since squirrels won't be attracted to the protein as much as corn.
                    Also, if they can get the feed out of the spout, they generally won't try to get into the barrel.

I'd see if you could find someone to trade you some metal barrels for your plastic ones though.

Comment

I had two and will never use them again. Lots of issues with water getting in them.

Comment

No Bueno

Comment

Thanks guys. Gonna just use the metal ones I think and save these for something else. Where do you guys usually source your metal barrels?

Comment

I make all of mine out of plastic barrels cause they are free to me.

you have to make a varmint cage around the electronics

also I use carpet tack strips up each of the 3 legs with the spikes sticking out

That keeps the coons and the squirrels at bay.

Most carpet co will give you 6 of them of charge you .25 each for them

or buy American Hunter Feeder with Timer and Varmint Guard shocks them 36.00 at Sportsmansguide.com

or buy Shark Teeth™ Deterrent Strips from them for 18.00 for 3 pack

Comment

I once had a metal feeder, but with a plastic lid. Squirrels chewed a hole in the lid. They apparently hopped in and out until the corn level got too low for them to jump back out. Three of them died in there. The first dead squirrel body to reach the bottom clogged the feeder. It rained in through the hole they chewed and I came back to a mixture that would gag a maggot.

Comment

Working...
                              X