Lake Amistad 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gringolevi View Post
    Anyone hunt this weekend? Are they even giving out permits?
    Too hot lol... I hunted once in October, ended up sitting out there without a shirt with my boots off.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      Too hot lol... I hunted once in October, ended up sitting out there without a shirt with my boots off.
      ^^^This everyone needs to stay away until December

Comment

Haha, yes no one go until Mid December. I was out last year and killed a ram mid day and it sure was miserable packing it out in the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
          FYI San Pedro camp grounds are open as of this morning when I went by there. Unfortunately, with water levels what they are the water in nowhere near the camp ground area.

For those wondering about the mouflon, numbers are down but there should be some in area 5. That will probably change as soon as hunters start chasing them back into private property at the start of the season.

Good luck to all hunting on amistad this year. Injury issues permitting, I plan to hunt often this year.
          You got eyes on ‘em? What kinda numbers you seeing?

Comment

Pedernal? Did you see 'em?

Comment

I have seen a few in 5… No real big numbers… just a few ewes walking around…

Take it for what it’s worth as I haven’t been out there much…

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                I have seen a few in 5… No real big numbers… just a few ewes walking around…

Take it for what it’s worth as I haven’t been out there much…
                Awesome! Thank you, sir!

Comment

Last year early I seen pretty good numbers went back later didn't even see any on private, then was told they netted them all and took them to sale in Harper. Has anyone seen any around after I would say mid December? Was planning to head down Sunday for a few days

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I killed 2 good rams in there the last 2 years, I have plans to go back in January, why did they haul them out

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Comment

So the mouflon still go back to hunt area 5? When I first hunted there, the neighbors made a hole in the fence, on the west side and then pushed them all out, onto the ranch to the west. My first trip out there, was kind of interesting. I had no interest in shooting a ram, I was after deer had no clue about the place. Turns out there were about seven guys chasing a large heard of the rams. I was heading straight towards the back. Got about 300 yards into the hunt area. Then came over a hill, and saw some hunters in the distance, that looked like they were after something. So I tried to figure out what they were doing and figure out which way to go, to not screw up their hunt. then saw a huge heard of mouflon coming up out of a canyon right to me. Then saw some more hunters on the other side of the canyon, moving my direction. The rams kept coming straight towards me, so I got down in some sage brush and tried to stay out of sight. I wanted to watch the show. The rams stopped and looked my direction for a good while, the guys on the other side of the canyon had stopped and got low also. I think they thought I was going to shoot a ram. Eventually those guys got up and started moving towards the rams, so the rams kept moving towards me, then around me. I had plenty of opportunity to shoot one. I really had no interest in shooting one. The majority of the heard came within 30 yards of me.

Turns out there were a more guys chasing the rams than I realized. After the heard went past me, hunters kept going past, after the rams. So I tried to guess where they were going and get away from the whole deal.

I hiked most of hunt area number 5 that first day. Kept seeing the heard of rams, and hunters chasing them. I think two guys got rams that morning, maybe three. I could have easily got one. I could have killed one, within a hour of first walking into the place, and had no idea anything about the place.

I went back out there and hunted hunt area number 5 for about the next three or four weeks. Every time I went, there were fewer rams. On one trip, I found a deep canyon, with steep walls, I think on the north side of that hunt area. Cool looking canyon. Then I saw five large round things in the bottom of the canyon, where there was a sharp bend in the canyon. At first I had no idea what I was looking at. Then got my binoculars out and realized it was five really big old rams, much bigger than any I had seen in the heard.

Seeing how big those rams were, and having not had seen anything inside of 100 yards, since that first day out there. I decided I was going to try and get down in the bottom of the canyon and try to shoot one of those big rams. About as soon as I had that thought, all five stood up, looked around and took off around that bend in the canyon. I saw that group of rams twice more, that was the end of that. Never saw those five again. Then never saw any of the heard again.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        So the mouflon still go back to hunt area 5? When I first hunted there, the neighbors made a hole in the fence, on the west side and then pushed them all out, onto the ranch to the west. My first trip out there, was kind of interesting. I had no interest in shooting a ram, I was after deer had no clue about the place. Turns out there were about seven guys chasing a large heard of the rams. I was heading straight towards the back. Got about 300 yards into the hunt area. Then came over a hill, and saw some hunters in the distance, that looked like they were after something. So I tried to figure out what they were doing and figure out which way to go, to not screw up their hunt. then saw a huge heard of mouflon coming up out of a canyon right to me. Then saw some more hunters on the other side of the canyon, moving my direction. The rams kept coming straight towards me, so I got down in some sage brush and tried to stay out of sight. I wanted to watch the show. The rams stopped and looked my direction for a good while, the guys on the other side of the canyon had stopped and got low also. I think they thought I was going to shoot a ram. Eventually those guys got up and started moving towards the rams, so the rams kept moving towards me, then around me. I had plenty of opportunity to shoot one. I really had no interest in shooting one. The majority of the heard came within 30 yards of me.

Turns out there were a more guys chasing the rams than I realized. After the heard went past me, hunters kept going past, after the rams. So I tried to guess where they were going and get away from the whole deal.

I hiked most of hunt area number 5 that first day. Kept seeing the heard of rams, and hunters chasing them. I think two guys got rams that morning, maybe three. I could have easily got one. I could have killed one, within a hour of first walking into the place, and had no idea anything about the place.

I went back out there and hunted hunt area number 5 for about the next three or four weeks. Every time I went, there were fewer rams. On one trip, I found a deep canyon, with steep walls, I think on the north side of that hunt area. Cool looking canyon. Then I saw five large round things in the bottom of the canyon, where there was a sharp bend in the canyon. At first I had no idea what I was looking at. Then got my binoculars out and realized it was five really big old rams, much bigger than any I had seen in the heard.

Seeing how big those rams were, and having not had seen anything inside of 100 yards, since that first day out there. I decided I was going to try and get down in the bottom of the canyon and try to shoot one of those big rams. About as soon as I had that thought, all five stood up, looked around and took off around that bend in the canyon. I saw that group of rams twice more, that was the end of that. Never saw those five again. Then never saw any of the heard again.
                        When were you out there last?

Comment

Originally posted by huntozarks View Post
                          When were you out there last?

My first trip out there was back around 1998, I hunted there till about 2005 or 2006. Then only hunted hunt area 5, for about the first month that I hunted out there. Then started trying some of the other hunt areas. I hunted out there till 2005, I remember that's the year that fuel prices took off and went over $3.00 a gallon. I was working for a company that paid us mileage and they refused to pay us any more per mile, but gas went from $1.60 upwards of $1.80, to over $3.50 a gallon. My truck did not get very good gas mileage. They were not paying me anywhere near enough money to cover my monthly fuel bills.

Because the fuel prices, I quit going out there. Before the fuel prices went up, I was going out there every weekend, during the season. Then almost completely stopped in 2005. I think I made one or two trips out there in 2006. Then 2007, I had the accident, that put a end to all of my hunting for a couple of years. I never went back, keep saying I want to go back, but I have to get a smaller truck, that gets a lot better fuel mileage.

Comment

10/4, I'm thinking about another trip down there this January, but I want to make sure that there are sheep down there before I drive 13 hours, iv hunted down there the last 2 years, both times I saw at least 150 sheep, and this past year we hunted #4 and my brother killed a nice aoudad on the first evening, he won't be going with me this year, if anyone wants to come down and share a camp and hunt that would be awesome, my schedule is flexible but I'm thinking about sometime during the first 3 weeks of January

Comment

Nice kills. I'll update after I go Monday if there are any sheep

Comment

Originally posted by Gringolevi View Post
                                Nice kills. I'll update after I go Monday if there are any sheep
                                Awesome, are deer tags down there over the counter? cause if numbers of sheep are down I might try WT a little if I come down, I really want an aoudad this year too

Comment

Working...
                                X