No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stuff actually does say it: Units 4 and 6 are not huntable in the November archery hunts. I know guys hunt Unit 6 and have success there but I find it just too close to everything else, so I (again) won't miss it being closed. I like LANWR because it is so easy to get really far away from roads and people. Units 2, 3, and 8 are ginormous and there are loads of nilgai in them, and in 5 too, especially given the effective shooting range of us bow hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
      The cost of the park is almost the same cost as a motel in Port Isabel/Laguna Vista. I always chose a motel and its close to restaurants, WalMart, etc.
      You can't enter LANWR from the campground side so the every day twice-a-day drive in/out of the Reserve is really not much different than if you stay in Port Isabel. Laguna Vista is the most convenient in terms of distance from the gate, but you still wind up driving to Port Isabel for supermarket, restaurant food, Wal-Mart, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
        Do you think there will be an in-person orientation this year? If not, I doubt they’ll address it in the generic video if they even update it for this year.
        No in-person orientation again. Watch the video a couple of weeks before the hunt. Report harvested critters using your mobile's camera to scan the QR code at the gate. We don't need to have the skins frozen in their freezer (for cattle fever tick killing) either, as we did in past years. It is all explained on your permit.

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
          You can't enter LANWR from the campground side so the every day twice-a-day drive in/out of the Reserve is really not much different than if you stay in Port Isabel. Laguna Vista is the most convenient in terms of distance from the gate, but you still wind up driving to Port Isabel for supermarket, restaurant food, Wal-Mart, etc.

I disagree with this as I stayed in Arroyo City last year and it turns into a 30 minute drive after you leave the park not including the 45 mins it takes fe being parked at 5 at the end of the road. Plus there isn’t anything to stop at or eat really on the way to arroyo city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
            I disagree with this as I stayed in Arroyo City last year and it turns into a 30 minute drive after you leave the park not including the 45 mins it takes fe being parked at 5 at the end of the road. Plus there isn’t anything to stop at or eat really on the way to arroyo city.

Not sure I understand what you are saying -- I think from the gate to Port Isabel is almost exactly the same drive time from the gate to Arroyo City. Or am I wrong? For nearly the same drive time, I'd much rather end up in Port Isabel.

Comment

I got a house in Laguna Vista. nice to be able to wash clothes, have a garage and a nice house to relax in. Will be 3 of us, so hopefully one of us connects this year. I will be down soon to do some "bird watching" to check out a couple areas.

Comment

Not sure I understand what you are saying -- I think from the gate to Port Isabel is almost exactly the same drive time from the gate to Arroyo City. Or am I wrong? For nearly the same drive time, I'd much rather end up in Port Isabel.

Sorry not sure what I said either lol. But yes Laguna or port Isabel is where I would stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  I got a house in Laguna Vista. nice to be able to wash clothes, have a garage and a nice house to relax in. Will be 3 of us, so hopefully one of us connects this year. I will be down soon to do some "bird watching" to check out a couple areas.
                  I was alone last year and stayed at a 2-br place in the Laguna Vista golf community, it was very nice -- the washer and dryer, the garage, the extra space. This year there'll be three of us but the two ladies are planning on working on their tans at the beach on South Padre while I hunt, so we got a nicer big house on the canals in Port Isabel. At least I'm expecting to be fed when I get home each night without having to start cooking after getting cleaned up!

Comment

I was alone last year and stayed at a 2-br place in the Laguna Vista golf community, it was very nice -- the washer and dryer, the garage, the extra space. This year there'll be three of us but the two ladies are planning on working on their tans at the beach on South Padre while I hunt, so we got a nicer big house on the canals in Port Isabel. At least I'm expecting to be fed when I get home each night without having to start cooking after getting cleaned up!

That sure would be nice!! One nice thing about staying there is whataburger lol

Comment

that is where we have stayed the last few years. pretty good deal.

However, your new gig sounds pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                        So I am looking at the refuge "Open to Archery Only" portion of the map. Is Unit 4 (north of the Arroyo) open to archery this year? If so, you lucky dudes that got drawn for archery and want a chance at a Nilgai!

Do you live on the river and happen to be a dentist??

Comment

Who all is hunting the 4th to 9th hunt? First archery hunt.

Comment

Me & my group will be on the first hunt 5th - 9th. Will be there on 4th to scout around.

Comment

I'm in the second group, 12th to 16th. Don't kill all the critters during that first hunt.
                              ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
                                Do you live on the river and happen to be a dentist??

No. I live in Harlingen, am an accountant, but have a place in the Arroyo.

Comment

Working...
                                X