Talk to me About Vortex for Slug Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk to me About Vortex for Slug Guns

I contacted Vortex inquiring about a scope under $200 for a slug gun. They stated all of their optics are rated for slug gun use. They recommended the Crossfire II 3-9x40. Because I'm a vet I can get it for $120.00. They also suggested quality rings and proper torque setting of 15-18 in/lbs with no loctite.

For guys that use slug guns, Please advise is this a good deal?

Thanks.

Contact Arrowsmith on here. He is the resident Vortex guy.

Comment

Save your money, find another brand. Vortex is junk. just google vortex scope white out and see all the issues people have.

Comment

Yeah that’ll probably break lol.

Comment

I wouldn't trust any Vortex scopes lower than the Viper PST Gen II. Their Razor line is great, but chances are you're gonna end up putting their "VIP" Warranty to good use on their cheap scopes, especially on a slug gun.

Comment

i think i would find a redfield or something at academy. Better scope and i saw they had some pretty cheap the other day.

Comment

These are great slug gun scopes. Nikons and Bushnells are tough to come by right now.

If you can find a nice used Bushnell or Nikon slug gun scope they work well.

Not every scope works well on slug guns.

Comment

I'm not an expert, as I only have 1 Vortex, and it has been outstanding.
                I have a buddy in Kansas though, who put me on them, who is an expert, and also retired Army by the way. He swears by any Vortex that is Viper grade or above. He says that anything lower than that wouldn't be a good buy.

Comment

What slug gun did you get?

As far as scopes, most of the cheaper variable power lines will come apart over time if you shoot much. Get something beefy. Or if you want to go cheap, go with a fixed power. I've used a number of cheap 4x on several guns over the years (less than $35). But seems they have to be replaced after about 5 or so seasons if shot much. Most of the upper end scopes are built tough. A 12ga sluggun has a lot of shock/recoil. And is harder on scopes. Adding weight to the stock will help some, as well as reduce felt recoil when bench shooting.

Be careful when bench shooting. I've seen many of folk become recoil shy from bench shooting. Which can lead to bad habits like flinching, ect., on the shot. Especially with high velocity, heavy loads. I've got a few that are 1oz lead that run at 2000fps for the young guns that think they can handle anything. I've seen those bloody a few noses and lips on the bench with smoothbores.
                  Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-07-2021, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Redfield over Vortex anyday. Redfield is owned and manufactured by Leupold.
                    Only sold at Academy Sports AFAIK
                    Last edited by muzzlebrake; 12-07-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      Only sold at Academy Sports AFAIK
                      Academy owns Redfield now that is probably why you can only get them there

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        That was a long time ago! Leupold got out of that pretty quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                          Save your money, find another brand. Vortex is junk. just google vortex scope white out and see all the issues people have.
                          I’ve always wondered what This was, now I know. Thanks! All of my vortex scopes do it much worse than anything else I own.

Comment

2-7x32 can do you fine. I've got a Nikon Prostaff on one that is a flat out workhorse. And good to 175yds or so. Leopold would be a good choice as well.

The Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 came standard on the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter when H&R was in business. They are in your price range.
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-07-2021, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Just look around and find you an ugly rusty old K4 Weaver somewhere.
                              No other scope topped more rifles during that period.  It was the most popular and is still the most famous hunting scope ever made.

Comment

Working...
                              X