No announcement yet.

2019 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed down to Aransas pass for a few days Thursday. Any suggestions about what areas are hot

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      Headed down to Aransas pass for a few days Thursday. Any suggestions about what areas are hot
      Not sure about what areas will be hot but I know you will be dry under a bridge. The forecast is calling for more rain.

Michael

Comment

It's not hard to manage at all but I've used 12ft surf rods casting plugs and spoons since 1972....so my technique is second hand with the longer butts. And being extra long, I can cast with both arms in front - sideways - working the blank horizontally over the water with quick flick casts. Not overhand but arms out in front with the blank sideways and out over the bow.

I don't wade, I drift a flats boat over 6.5" of water and deeper, riding wind or trolling motor with a Powerpole to shut down immediately when I hit a pattern.

This extra long butt is perfect - standing on my poling platform way up over the water. Up there, my head is probably 10ft above the flat, I can see everything out and down into the water beyond 50 plus yards. This long handled rod will zing casts outwards to 100 yards and I have nothing behind me - 365 degrees around from that platform. I can cast out over the bow, from that deck, and outcast someone on my front casting deck by 20 plus yards.

Made to cover a lot of South Texas skinny Laguna flats - spot and stalk from the platform. A locator rod made to cover a lot of water casting lures. I have a pair of rod holders on my poling platform where I add one or two rods - rigged differently as well. Basically fishing 3 rods up there all rigged differently to cover on drift. All three rods are in arms reach and out of the way when I cast. Change rods, grab one out of the rod holder and replace it with the one in my hand - resume.

I pick off a lot of specks and redfish sight casting this way.
        Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-03-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Went down to port A recently but didnt do any good. I plan to head back down soon.

Comment

Found this nice redfish today. Fished for about half the day with a friend and came up with limits of trout, a few good reds, and one flounder...... released all of them.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              Same here. Anything with more than a 8" handle and i refuse to fish with it.
              I agree on my lure rods. 8" is about all you need. On 7' and longer rods I like a 10-11" butt.

There is no way I could fish with that super long rod butt in the bay. Glad it works for the owner, I wouldn't have it. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                I agree on my lure rods. 8" is about all you need. On 7' and longer rods I like a 10-11" butt.

There is no way I could fish with that super long rod butt in the bay. Glad it works for the owner, I wouldn't have it. Different strokes for different folks.

No joke, I would have that long rascal broken into pieces for kindling before the end of the day.

BTW we saw you at the harbor several weeks back, Phillip told me who you were when I pointed out your Boatright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Rod a platform is a whole other animal for sure! I also like long rods, but most of it is on the outboard side of the reel seat! My wading rods are 7'-6" rods. Fishing with a Curado or my now new favorite Daiwa Coastal, I can throw over half the line off of them when I'm pe... well pretty deep in the water.

I'd love to fish from a poling platform and give that long sucker a whirl sometime! Carry on!

Comment

Fly rods are 9 ft......once you fish a fly rod on the flats, a rod like this is cheating. I cover a crap load of water quickly.

I have an 9ft split grip can literally spool a Curado E700 on a cast. I have over 45 self built custom rods, so I mix stuff up a lot. A side benefit of building customs and mixing things up to suit a specific goal. Always learning and twisting sticks around a reel, and setup, you can maximize delivery. Whether it's cast, feel, weight, line class and or presentation......I've built them to do a lot of different things, around a specific reel, lure weight and line class.
                    Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-04-2019, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Headed to Matty tomorrow, I'll be wading. Late notice I know but I'll be Solo if anyone wants to jump aboard let me know.

Comment

Yep. Ain’t nuthin more exciting than a 30” red on a 9 at fly rod in 18” of water!! To me it’s equivalent to shooting a 170” buck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          Headed to Matty tomorrow, I'll be wading. Late notice I know but I'll be Solo if anyone wants to jump aboard let me know.
                          East or West? We're heading to West tomorrow evening.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            East or West? We're heading to West tomorrow evening.
                            Probably both . If y'all go to west let me know, what area are you fishing in west?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Probably both . If y'all go to west let me know, what area are you fishing in west?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                              We have a camp on the peninsula, sometimes head over to Green's area that's about as far East as we get. If the fishing's good around jetty or in the surf we just fish from the trucks though. I got added to a new work team an hour ago, looks like it'll be past dark by the time I get there tonight.

Comment

**** wish I could. Kid activities screw up everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X