Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    What slug gun did you get?

As far as scopes, most of the cheaper variable power lines will come apart over time if you shoot much. Get something beefy. Or if you want to go cheap, go with a fixed power. I've used a number of cheap 4x on several guns over the years (less than $35). But seems they have to be replaced after about 5 or so seasons if shot much. Most of the upper end scopes are built tough. A 12ga sluggun has a lot of shock/recoil. And is harder on scopes. Adding weight to the stock will help some, as well as reduce felt recoil when bench shooting.

Be careful when bench shooting. I've seen many of folk become recoil shy from bench shooting. Which can lead to bad habits like flinching, ect., on the shot. Especially with high velocity, heavy loads. I've got a few that are 1oz lead that run at 2000fps for the young guns that think they can handle anything. I've seen those bloody a few noses and lips on the bench with smoothbores.

I have the Mossberg 20 guage rifled barrel. I shoot Remington 2 3/4 Accutips
    I wanted a Savage 220 with scope but couldn't afford it. So, I bought the Mossberg and it came with a little Dead Ringer scope. It's ok but hard to see at longer distance and in low light. I am looking at the Hawke brand. They have a scope specifically for Slug guns and Muzzleloaders.

Comment

I have 6 Vortex scopes, beat the crap out of three of them (other 3 are new) and I have had no issues at all! Not only that but Vortex is teaming up with Firearm Policy Coalition to help fight for our 2A rights. They will have all my business from here on.

Comment

20ga will be a bit easier on the scope you choose.

The only experience I have with Vortex is in the binoculars. But do have a brother that has Razor for long distance precision shooting. After his 3rd outing with the scope, he had to send it in for repair. But it's doing everything he expects now. He shoots 3-4 times per week. They were quick on the repair and return.

I had my binoculars break once. And Vortex was quick on the replace and return. They didn't make the exact model I had in power I had. And let me choose another pair. So I got the same model. Just more power.

Most any scope should be able to handle the 20ga much better.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I would say stay away from the BDC scopes of any kind. Especially in 12ga. Because slugs are loaded in a wide array of speeds and weight. They seldom match what load will work best in a gun, accuracy wise. My best shoots a 1oz copper solid at 1400 fps. Far from the Accutips of 1950 fps.

Comment

I would say stay away from the BDC scopes of any kind. Especially in 12ga. Because slugs are loaded in a wide array of speeds and weight. They seldom match what load will work best in a gun, accuracy wise. My best shoots a 1oz copper solid at 1400 fps. Far from the Accutips of 1950 fps.

To be dead on or accurate at 100 yds how high are you at 50 yds with the 1400 fps slug?

Comment

My Remington 20 ga slugger loves the Accutips and Hornady SST's.

My Savage 220 shoots the Accutips ok. And, the Federal 3" solid coppers not so ok.

I am going to try some 2 3/4" Winchester Extreme Point copper sabots at 1600 fps in the 220 next. I like tight groups. And, the Federals or Accutips just won't do it in my 220 at 100 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                To be dead on or accurate at 100 yds how high are you at 50 yds with the 1400 fps slug?
                In 12ga, it's right around 2". Rem has the Copper Solids listed as 50 cal with a BC of .210. And a muzzle velocity of 1450. And 2.1" high at 50 yards.

But I don't worry about 50yds if I'm sighted in at 100. My 12ga USH is sighted in at 2" high at 100. Which will put me in the boiler room holding dead on out to 150. I've got an old 1990 Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 sitting on top with "high" rings. I would be willing to take it out to 200yds without a second thought.

My 835 Mossy is good out to 150. I sport a Nikon Pro 2-7x32 on it using Winchester Partitions. It shoots much flatter. But not as accurate as the USH.

Comment

In 12ga, it's right around 2". Rem has the Copper Solids listed as 50 cal with a BC of .210. And a muzzle velocity of 1450. And 2.1" high at 50 yards.

But I don't worry about 50yds if I'm sighted in at 100. My 12ga USH is sighted in at 2" high at 100. Which will put me in the boiler room holding dead on out to 150. I've got an old 1990 Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 sitting on top with "high" rings. I would be willing to take it out to 200yds without a second thought.

My 835 Mossy is good out to 150. I sport a Nikon Pro 2-7x32 on it using Winchester Partitions. It shoots much flatter. But not as accurate as the USH.

I have not seen the copper solids in 20 ga.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    I have not seen the copper solids in 20 ga.
                    They are very hard to come by. Just ask Buckshot-73.

If you see some, you better grab them. If not for you, then for your friends.

The 20ga's usually have a faster twist rate. 12ga usually have one of two twist rates with most brands. Pending twist rate, depends on speed for better accuracy in most cases. Slower velocity for slower twist. Higher velocity for higher twist.

Comment

They are very hard to come by. Just ask Buckshot-73.

If you see some, you better grab them. If not for you, then for your friends.

The 20ga's usually have a faster twist rate. 12ga usually have one of two twist rates with most brands. Pending twist rate, depends on speed for better accuracy in most cases. Slower velocity for slower twist. Higher velocity for higher twist.

I stocked up on a lot of 20 gauge sabot slugs this past summer. Federal, Winchester, Remington, Hornady just about anything I could get my hands on.

I have 6 more boxes of Winchester on the way now.

Comment

Working...
                      X