Pigs and pumpkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pigs and pumpkins

Will pigs eat pumpkins? Got a few leftover from Halloween that I was going to bust up.

Best I can tell, they’ll eat absolutely anything!

Comment

I got 3 large cans of pumpkin from my daughter that had expired. I am going to throw them into the brew for the pigs. Souring corn with expired baby formula, h as lf bottle of wine, old flour...

Comment

If you break them open deer and pigs both will eat them

Comment

I always toss my old pumpkins out at the ranch. They don’t last but a day or two. I’ve always assumed it was pigs, but maybe deer eat them too.

Comment

Heck yeah, watermelon, cantaloupe, gourd, are all good with hogs

Comment

Yep

Comment

We took a bunch out to the lease last year and let the kids shoot them up with 22s. What was left layed there until spring, and I mowed over some vines a while later. These were left where we put corn out 100yds from camp and regularly see deer, and shot a pig or two.

I've seen deer fight over watermelon, and canteloupe rinds in the same spot.

Comment

Deer Do

Deer like them.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nope.
                    Not in Goliad. Well, at least where we hunted a few years ago. The pumpkin stayed there until it rotted. We had plenty of hogs and nothing touched it.

Comment

Our deer will skin a watermelon down to the rind in hours. Same with cantaloupe. Pumpkins barely touched.

Comment

Nothing touched mine and I have a lot of hogs. I do have pumpkin plants growing now though.

Comment

I got a truckload of pumpkins a few years ago when I was trapping hogs daily. I used them in and around traps and found that in one area they would go into a trap and tear them up and other areas they wouldn't touch them.
                          Same with different corn concoctions, cattle cubes etc... Different baits for different areas. Had hogs that wouldn't touch an acorn as well.

Comment

Someone dumped 2 on our lease road 2 weeks ago and nothing has touched them.

Comment

Nope

Comment

Working...
                              X