Travel Trailer experts - show me the way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Trailer experts - show me the way

I am in the market for a used travel trailer.

15K budget
    Needs to be towable w/ a half-ton pickup.
    Will be run off a generator
    Will be used for the lease - I'm not towing this thing all over the state.
    Needs to sleep min of 4 / & be a bunk house style set up

Resale is very important. If the ranch property works out, I will run power & build a cabin that would be long term - and sell the travel trailer.

My biggest questions -
    • Fiberglass vs Corrugated?
    • Aluminum vs Wood Frame?
    • What brands should i look at?
    • Min size you would go with...?

I am in Midland, and assume the used travel trailer market will be very buyer friendly over the next month or two. I just don't know where to focus my search...red flags...etc (I have never owned one before)

Thanks!

In for answers as I’m in the market as well. Resale is terrible on an RV though.

Comment

I would look for a 30ft fiberglass with aluminum frame bunkhouse. That should be big enough for your family and not have too much weight for a half ton.

I have no recommendations for resale, they don’t hold their value very well.

Comment

28BHS / 31BHS /32BHS aluminum trailers are nice sized 1/2 towable trailers. Slide means comfort, period. It's night and day. 4 people in a 26' trailer with a slide is comfy IMO. Smooth sided fiberglass trailers clean up like new with water / Clorox and a few Mr Clean scrub pads. Prices on trailers are all over the place, especially at dealers. There are great deals that pop up weekly but you just gotta jump on them quick. If it is seems too darn good to be true then you better step on every inch of that floor and feel every inch of that roof. If you don't plan on keeping long, I would stay away from Salem, Puma, Cherokee and look into Jayco (highest resale value IMO), Rockwood, Open Country to name a few. At 15k you can find a nice BHS trailer around 2017-2019 easy. Absolute best value for your buck is gonna come from a one owner who barely used it and didn't live in it. Although, there is a dealer in Port Lavaca that has some pretty **** impressive deals. Look the guy up on Craigslist. He used to sell a lot of salvage titled trailers back then but now has a fleet of them and quite a few clean title trailers at a bargain. I'm taking my brother over there to look at a few. Hope this helps any. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by PBUCKSHOT View Post
          28BHS / 31BHS /32BHS aluminum trailers are nice sized 1/2 towable trailers. Slide means comfort, period. It's night and day. 4 people in a 26' trailer with a slide is comfy IMO. Smooth sided fiberglass trailers clean up like new with water / Clorox and a few Mr Clean scrub pads. Prices on trailers are all over the place, especially at dealers. There are great deals that pop up weekly but you just gotta jump on them quick. If it is seems too darn good to be true then you better step on every inch of that floor and feel every inch of that roof. If you don't plan on keeping long, I would stay away from Salem, Puma, Cherokee and look into Jayco (highest resale value IMO), Rockwood, Open Country to name a few. At 15k you can find a nice BHS trailer around 2017-2019 easy. Absolute best value for your buck is gonna come from a one owner who barely used it and didn't live in it. Although, there is a dealer in Port Lavaca that has some pretty **** impressive deals. Look the guy up on Craigslist. He used to sell a lot of salvage titled trailers back then but now has a fleet of them and quite a few clean title trailers at a bargain. I'm taking my brother over there to look at a few. Hope this helps any. Good luck

Very helpful and great info.
          Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When you say 4 people sleeping are you talking a family of 4 or 4 friends who deer hunt together? For example if it's a family of 4 with the 2 little ones in your pic then a 28BHS is fine.

My previous trailer was a 28BHS and worked fine for a family of 5 while the kids were young. As the kids got bigger, we sold it and got a 32BHS.

I pull with a F150. I have the 5.0l engine with the tow package added to the truck and have no issues towing them. With the 28BHS we went to Alabama, Missouri, Colorado in it. With the 32BHS it hasn't left the state but it has been pulled around a few places in the year we've had it. I'd say get an aluminum frame with slide out. Although mine is corrugated, I'd recommend the smooth sided fiberglass if you can find one in your price range. They are easier to clean up and will continue to look new when you decide to resale.

As for brands can't help with many but my current one is a Grand Design. https://www.granddesignrv.com/ Only had it for 1 year with no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
              When you say 4 people sleeping are you talking a family of 4 or 4 friends who deer hunt together? For example if it's a family of 4 with the 2 little ones in your pic then a 28BHS is fine.

My previous trailer was a 28BHS and worked fine for a family of 5 while the kids were young. As the kids got bigger, we sold it and got a 32BHS.

I pull with a F150. I have the 5.0l engine with the tow package added to the truck and have no issues towing them. With the 28BHS we went to Alabama, Missouri, Colorado in it. With the 32BHS it hasn't left the state but it has been pulled around a few places in the year we've had it. I'd say get an aluminum frame with slide out. Although mine is corrugated, I'd recommend the smooth sided fiberglass if you can find one in your price range. They are easier to clean up and will continue to look new when you decide to resale.

As for brands can't help with many but my current one is a Grand Design. https://www.granddesignrv.com/ Only had it for 1 year with no complaints.
              Thanks
              Yes my kids are 0, 3, and 5... but my 3 and 5 yo boys go with me pretty much everywhere. Short term needs would be a place for me and the boys to stay while at the ranch.

Follow up questions to the 28BH -
              Would you see running that big of a unit being an issue with a 4000W generator. I have not dug into the specs - but I'd think most of these bigger units have 2 ACs?

Comment

Inspect the construction of the bunks real well before purchase. We had on break on the camper we used to use. I also had buddy testing out a brand new one at a dealership. His son went to get on the top bunk and it broke. His son probably weighs 170-180. Also from what I’ve seen the ones with slides are harder to keep the critters out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                  Thanks
                  Yes my kids are 0, 3, and 5... but my 3 and 5 yo boys go with me pretty much everywhere. Short term needs would be a place for me and the boys to stay while at the ranch.

Follow up questions to the 28BH -
                  Would you see running that big of a unit being an issue with a 4000W generator. I have not dug into the specs - but I'd think most of these bigger units have 2 ACs?
                  Not sure on it using a generator. We always parked with electricity. I think most 28' ones will only have 1 AC with the ability to add a 2nd one.

For the 32BHS, it came with 2.

Comment

I also recommend something in the 30' range and for sure with a slide. 1 ac will be able to cool that. Dead of summer with no shade the AC is going to run constantly during the day but at night you will be fine. I have a 34' 5th wheel at the lease with 1 ac and run it with a 3500 watt generator. I usually only run the ac at night for sleeping. Get you a good solar panel to keep the battery charged for lights and heater during the winter. Only thing I run the generator for during winter is for the TV/satellite, and microwave. Grand Design is a RV brand that has TONS of great reviews. If you can get a buddy to go with you to look at them that knows about them. Lots of little things that an inexperienced eye will miss. Defiantly try everything before you buy. To test for leaks put water in the holding tank close all the faucets and turn on the 12 volt water pump. It should come on and run for a bit to pressure everything up and then shut off and stay off.....unless something is leaking.

Comment

Do not trust the tires on a used camper if they are over 3 years old. I don't care if the rubber looks great. This is the voice of experience speaking.

Comment

I pull a 32BHSS with my half ton GMC. Had pulled it with my wife's Tahoe. Like you, I only pull it from home to deer lease and back. It's a fiberglass with 3 slides.

Comment

I will say bigger is better, but can't beat new. Slideouts are nice, but they end up being problems down the road.

I bought my last in Budda. A bit of a drive but I was tired of working on used trailers and wanted a new one. Saved 5k from dfw prices on same trailer. So, advice is to shop. I also financed - payments are peanuts. Looked recently and can get what I owe on it. Not sure that is true for everyone. So make a good deal up front.

Comment

My nephew Van Samsel in midland has one for sale. Look him up on Facebook.

Comment

I’ve owned three fiberglass sided trailers. Yes, they clean up good, but they also delaminate and bubble up and make any knowledgeable buyer run far away. My current trailer is aluminum sided and I sleep good at night knowing it’s just as good as the day I bought it!

Comment

Working...
                              X