Wildlife AG Exemptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
    To clarify a few points being brought up: A property must already have an ag valuation in order for wildlife management to count as a use. You're not switching anything (not switching from ag to wildlife). Wildlife management is just a qualifying use to maintain the ag valuation, same a running cows, or cutting hay, or growing crops. There is no minimum acreage to quality unless the property has been reduced in size from the previous year. If the property has been reduced in size, minimums apply and they do vary by county (in general, smaller acreage to the east and larger acreage as you go further west). Filling out the form is a very, very easy process; just involves checking boxes on a form and maybe writing a word or 2. There is no reason to pay hundreds of dollars for someone else to check the boxes.

Got it, one point I’m getting mixed messages on is does the previous owners ag exemption apply to me? So if I take ownership in Jan do I need to have an AG exemption for one year or does the fact that the property already had one apply so
    I can go ahead and fill out the paperwork for wildlife exemption? The property has been 60ac and is staying 60ac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get with your local tpwd biologist for your county. They will help you with a plan. It's Easy.

Comment

Tagged

My dad had ours under Timber special use valuation
        He planted loblolly pines in a lot of areas for erosion control
        We now own the property & want to transition to wildlife exemption
        We basically cover most requirements but need to add a little more to it

Is this transitional from timber exempt to wildlife?

Comment

We closed on property in Kerrville in November and I spoke with appraiser. She told me there is no ag exemption in any part of our developed. She said no to bees, and said you have to have livestock and then you can change it to wildlife after a certain amount of time. She said I’d have to have livestock on my property for five years before I’m eligible for ag exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            Does wildlife exemption get you any more hunting days? Do you just use your TPW license and no biologist involved?
            We have the standard Wildlife exemption on the property we hunt in Mills county, the paperwork really doesn't focus that much on hunting. Its more along the lines of how to improve the ecosystem for the game species, supplemental food, water, bedding, etc. Hunting hogs, and predators does count though for an improvement.

No Extra hunting days, technically no TPWD license needed and not necessary to have a biologist involved.

If you're running feeders, shooting hogs, clearing brush or planting food plots and don't have any livestock exemption then its an easy one to maintain.

I did not submit for the initial wildlife exemption, was kind of grandfathered in so I can't speak to that process, all I do is the improvement projects and fill in the report each year which isn't bad at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie13 View Post
              We have the standard Wildlife exemption on the property we hunt in Mills county, the paperwork really doesn't focus that much on hunting. Its more along the lines of how to improve the ecosystem for the game species, supplemental food, water, bedding, etc. Hunting hogs, and predators does count though for an improvement.

No Extra hunting days, technically no TPWD license needed and not necessary to have a biologist involved.

If you're running feeders, shooting hogs, clearing brush or planting food plots and don't have any livestock exemption then its an easy one to maintain.

I did not submit for the initial wildlife exemption, was kind of grandfathered in so I can't speak to that process, all I do is the improvement projects and fill in the report each year which isn't bad at all.
              Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Comment

It depends on what area/county you're in I would imagine. When I bought 40 acres in an area that is part of the "Houston Toad Conservation District" all I had to do was pay $10 and fill out the forms for them, they came by and made sure I was compliant with their requirements and I didn't even have to mess with the county to get my wildlife exemption.

Comment

I think I answered my own question
                  Should be easy to transition from timber to wildlife

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post
                    Got it, one point I’m getting mixed messages on is does the previous owners ag exemption apply to me? So if I take ownership in Jan do I need to have an AG exemption for one year or does the fact that the property already had one apply so
                    I can go ahead and fill out the paperwork for wildlife exemption? The property has been 60ac and is staying 60ac.

Best thing you can do is look over your county's tax appraisal site and talk with the Ag-use appraiser. Then read over the application form, its pretty simple, and fill out your plan.
                    At least here, the only requirement is that the land is in Ag-use before you submit anything for Wildlife mgmt.
                    And you only need to do a minimum of 3 out of 7 activities on your wildlife plan for the year, not 4. With 60 acres, it should be very easy.

Comment

Originally posted by erikm1981 View Post

The valuation applies to the land, not the owner. So, if the property is in ag, you're good to use wildlife management as a use.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                        Tagged

My dad had ours under Timber special use valuation
                        He planted loblolly pines in a lot of areas for erosion control
                        We now own the property & want to transition to wildlife exemption
                        We basically cover most requirements but need to add a little more to it

Is this transitional from timber exempt to wildlife?
                        Unless something has changed relatively recently, you can move directly from timber to wildlife ag use. But, it is always best to check with your county tax folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                          We closed on property in Kerrville in November and I spoke with appraiser. She told me there is no ag exemption in any part of our developed. She said no to bees, and said you have to have livestock and then you can change it to wildlife after a certain amount of time. She said I’d have to have livestock on my property for five years before I’m eligible for ag exemption.
                          The ag valuation is based on a 7-year cycle (including up to 2 fallow years). So, if the property has had agricultural use for for any 5 years out of a 7-year period, then the property qualifies for the ag valuation. Once ag has been approved, then you can start using wildlife management as qualifying use for ag.

Comment

Its very easy. The guy I bought my property feom.paid a company to do his. I think he said he spent about 1k.

I printed the form online, filled it out and sent it in. Very easy. Usually if you have any questions , the tax assessors office is very helpful.

Fill out the forms 1 time a year, send in a few pics and receipts, done

Comment

Some counties are much harder than others and don't ever lose your ag or wildlife exemption or that will cost you some bucks and I don't mean deer.

Comment

That’s the problem. The appraiser said no property out there has an ag exemption. So, we would have to put a well on the place, goats, cattle, Blackbuck etc and then someone has to be there to look after said animals. When you have a smaller place goats will absolutely decimate the vegetation on it. Eat it down to rock. The best thing is to live on your land. Unfortunately we can’t do that with a fourteen year spread between my wife and I. She’s still in her wage earning years while I’m retired and taking care of our special needs son along with everything else! L o l!

Comment

Working...
                                X