Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

congrats

Comment

Congrats. I was fortunate to draw this 5 years ago for the early hunt. You'll have a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
        I would get some turtle skinz gaiters. They are way more comfortable and not as hot as tall boots.
        This is what I do. I find that I’m more comfortable in a pair of robust trail shoes (Salomon XA wilds in my case) and some turtleskin gaiters.

Comment

I've been DIY hunting in unit 33 in CO the past 3 years and use my Lowa hiking boots to walk/hike the mountains. I'll probably stick with those.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Danielv View Post
            That being said on boots...
            What are some snake boot recommendations for hunting West Texas Terrain? As I assume they are still pretty active during daytime temps in October
            I didn’t see any and didn’t hear of anyone seeing any. It was chilly on our hunt some of the days. If it were me I wouldn’t trade long snake boots for comfort out there.

Comment

Thanks Kactus

Comment

Hunted there when it was a private ranch. You've got your work cut out for you, but it ought to be a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  Hunted there when it was a private ranch. You've got your work cut out for you, but it ought to be a lot of fun.
                  I can't wait, I'm sure any reward will be worth the effort. I expect hard hunting.

Comment

I use Danner Pronghorn snake boots and they have great heal support and traction and the snake proofing keeps the stickers from getting you. Also get good socks and use polypropylene sock liners. They help to prevent blisters by keeping moisture away from your skin and will also help keep feet warm if its cold. Don't skimp on boots as I have seen cheap boots welded sole boots blow out on the first day of the hunt in that rugged country.

Comment

Originally posted by djs303 View Post
                      I use Danner Pronghorn snake boots and they have great heal support and traction and the snake proofing keeps the stickers from getting you. Also get good socks and use polypropylene sock liners. They help to prevent blisters by keeping moisture away from your skin and will also help keep feet warm if its cold. Don't skimp on boots as I have seen cheap boots welded sole boots blow out on the first day of the hunt in that rugged country.
                      Great advise on the socks.

Also plan for bad weather with your camp and hunting clothes. 2 yrs ago I believe it snowed and we had really cold wind and light continuous rain last yr.The weather can change quick.

Comment

Congrats on drawing 2 west Texas permits this year! It’s gonna be a heck of a time for you.

Just a heads up, finding those west Texas mule deer is definitely different than finding them in Colorado. There’s a few things to keep in mind to optimize your glassing time and not wasting it looking over stuff that won’t produce when you’re on such a time crunch for these hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          Congrats on drawing 2 west Texas permits this year! It’s gonna be a heck of a time for you.

Just a heads up, finding those west Texas mule deer is definitely different than finding them in Colorado. There’s a few things to keep in mind to optimize your glassing time and not wasting it looking over stuff that won’t produce when you’re on such a time crunch for these hunts.
                          Tell me more: my strategy is to get as high as possible before light in my unit and glass from the valley/bottoms up the sides of hills/mountains. Try to catch them bedding down and put a stalk on them. Then afternoons/evenings near water. Thats the way I have found them at Matador in the panhandle in the past but this will be my first time hunting them in west Texas.

This is an unreal year for draws for me so far, 2 in Texas, 2 in Colorado. I'm going to need a side gig to pay for gas

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                            Tell me more: my strategy is to get as high as possible before light in my unit and glass from the valley/bottoms up the sides of hills/mountains. Try to catch them bedding down and put a stalk on them. Then afternoons/evenings near water. Thats the way I have found them at Matador in the panhandle in the past but this will be my first time hunting them in west Texas.

This is an unreal year for draws for me so far, 2 in Texas, 2 in Colorado. I'm going to need a side gig to pay for gas
                            Send me a pm whenever you get around to it and I’ll fill you in on everything I’ve learned and know

Haha you’ll need to quit your job so you can have time to take advantage of all the permits and tags

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                              Send me a pm whenever you get around to it and I’ll fill you in on everything I’ve learned and know

Haha you’ll need to quit your job so you can have time to take advantage of all the permits and tags
                              Pm sent!

Comment

I got drawn there for an October hunt a couple years ago. It was FREEZING cold with ice on the trees. That was not the normal temps but it’s what we had to work with. Sure going to miss Dewey being there if I ever get drawn again.

Comment

Working...
                                X