New F150 Transmission Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New F150 Transmission Question

I've been kicking around the idea of downsizing from my 3/4 ton to an F150 so I went and drove a new 5.0 with the 10 speed transmission. I noticed that when I'd take off from a light the truck hesitated for a split second as if it was looking for a gear. Once it found the one it wanted it was a smooth as can be and had plenty of power. Does anybody have one of these new 10 speeds that can give me an opinion on it or have you experienced anything like the above? Thanks

I have had the 2018 F150 KR 2 wks. I bought the 3.7 Eco. I love this truck. Runs like a spotted age and will pull anything I have. So far the best truck Ive owned.

Comment

For what its worth my dad had several eco boost and went with the 5.0 and wishes he went with eco. I went from a diesel for over 15 yrs and had a 2016 eco and loved it. Pulls a lot better than the v8 imo. Dad mentioned the same thing in his since it has a fee more gears to choose from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went with the 5.0 in 2014 because I went with a 6.0 diesel after it was out for 3 years (HUGE MISTAKE) and was leary about the Ecoboost after it was out for 3 years. No complaints on the 5.0! This thing will haul *** anytime you want and has not had a problem towing a 99 Holiday Rambler 30' with a slide anywhere I need!

Comment

It has Adaptive learning. You have to drive it so it knows your driving habits.

Comment

Did you turn the engine shutoff feature off?
            It is my understanding all 2017 F-150’s engines shut off when stopped at a light and restart when you mash the gas, hence the hesitation you felt.
            There is supposedly a button on the dash you have to press each time you start the truck to turn it off.
            Or you can fool it by plugging in a trailer pigtail to make the system think you are pulling a trailer- which disables this “feature “.
            This is going off what I’ve heard on the car pro radio show.

Comment

Don't get rid of your 3/4 ton. I went to a half ton and have regretted it every day I have had it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                Did you turn the engine shutoff feature off?
                It is my understanding all 2017 F-150’s engines shut off when stopped at a light and restart when you mash the gas, hence the hesitation you felt.
                There is supposedly a button on the dash you have to press each time you start the truck to turn it off.
                Or you can fool it by plugging in a trailer pigtail to make the system think you are pulling a trailer- which disables this “feature “.
                This is going off what I’ve heard on the car pro radio show.

You can easily turn off the auto shut down by pushing the button on the dash or putting it in tow haul or sport mode (sport mode is a blast btw). You may get a little lurch after it starts back up but it isn't too bad, but I turn it off regardless. I think what the OP experienced is the truck "hunting for gears". You're not supposed to be able to feel it but you do. I may bring mine in to have it flashed to see if they have resolved the issue. Mine is a 2017 EB with the 10 speed. Really like the truck but after driving 3/4 ton diesels since 2003 it is definitely an adjustment. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 76aggie View Post
                  Don't get rid of your 3/4 ton. I went to a half ton and have regretted it every day I have had it.
                  Amen.........Gonna take some time financially to fix the downsizing mistake but I can't wait to get back into a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Comment

From my understanding (I think it was Chevy and Ford that went in together to create this transmission) it is a really good transmission. It has already been out for 2 years I believe and if there was something wrong with it would have surfaced by now. I think it was so popular in the 2017 F-150 EcoBoost that is why they brought it to all engine models. I have the 5.0 but with the 6 speed transmission and it does everything I need it to do. One reason the EcoBoost may feel better towing is the Turbo and extra Torque.

For what it is worth you have less moving parts in the 5.0 (Im not bashing the EcoBoost I own one in the Fusion) and if you ever wanted to supercharge it or put your own turbo in you could reach crazy numbers in HP and TQ with still a high reliability.

Comment

The auto start wasn't shut off, but the truck moved as soon as I hit the gas and went about 10 feet. At that point it hesitated for a half a second and I felt it shift. Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm going to have to drive another one on the highway to get a better feel for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X