Does a VRBO bring in revenue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 300rem7 View Post
    I wish I would have built a couple cabin(s) in Broken Bow back in 2004. Still think about it.
    Me too!!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
      I think we’re both off base... it better bring in revenue/income, but does it bring in PROFIT!??

We are looking in the hill country at the moment. Possibly something near Garner/Frio River.
      Problem with that area is excessive down-season September through April/May. You'd probably be packed summer months, but that's a lot of if's.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
        Problem with that area is excessive down-season September through April/May. You'd probably be packed summer months, but that's a lot of if's.

Yeah, that was our thinking, as well, but we are also looking to use it for a hunting cabin during those months so could work out well.

Comment

Something else to think about.... local homeowner associations. Buddy bought a small house on Lake LBJ and now full time owners in the subdivision are moving towards strictly limiting short term leasing. They say they are tired of all the partying and late night noise all summer. He’s doing well with it now but won’t be able to if they change the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
            Something else to think about.... local homeowner associations. Buddy bought a small house on Lake LBJ and now full time owners in the subdivision are moving towards strictly limiting short term leasing. They say they are tired of all the partying and late night noise all summer. He’s doing well with it now but won’t be able to if they change the rules.

Great point. Have seen this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
              My next door neighbor brings in nearly 50k a month on his house.. it is a cash cow.

He even pays me a couple hundred a month to have access to extra parking on my property... win win

https://www.vrbo.com/1566152?noDates...unitId=2127247
              So, here’s a question: how do people who lease vacation homes keep all the small items like the decorative ephemera, artwork, or small kitchen appliances from walking out the door with the lease tenant at the end of the term? Surely there is a high degree of theft, or maybe I’m just cynical?

Comment

My sister rented her place at Lake LBJ pre-flood. Renters are destructive. It all sounds easy- until the maid doesn’t show up or the toilet overflows at mid-night, or extra guests come.... Dishes and towels go missing all the time. Then there is the battle of renting it out when you should be using it. As noted above- it all comes down to your objective and tolerance to other folks.

I also have a co-worker that owns a cabin in NM. They use a property management service. That place covers the mortgage and is paid off. They call it the ‘slave-camp’ and she says knowing what she knows know-they would have enjoyed just gong to vacation a few times a year

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  So, here’s a question: how do people who lease vacation homes keep all the small items like the decorative ephemera, artwork, or small kitchen appliances from walking out the door with the lease tenant at the end of the term? Surely there is a high degree of theft, or maybe I’m just cynical?
                  I would think the cleaning crew would have a check list before returning the deposit.

Comment

First off you need a quality place. Higher end customers. We have rented plenty of nice VRBO’s and never stole a thing because most people who spend money have money.

We rented a house in San Luis pass that the owner offered everything from body boards, umbrellas, chairs, propane for grill, all the s’more materials. Towels were new and the house was super nice with paintings etc. I assume the owner was worried none the less.

Comment

Wife and I have discussed building- and then renting when we are gone on vacation. Will probably just put some stuff in master bedroom and lock bedroom. And do it for a 3-6 weeks rental only. Do this once or twice a year when we are gone. Have not decided yet but it may help us travel more

Comment

We bought a 2nd home in Surfside last November and done very good on VRBO. The rentals have paid the mortgage, taxes and insurance which is all I was looking to accomplish. It can be a bit of a pain when you want to go down last minute and it is booked. But you manage accordingly.

We have had very good luck thus far with renters and no major issues. I screen all renters in advance and selective on who I rent to. If you want to host 30 people for a graduation party, your not my targeted renter. If you and the family want a relaxing time on the beach or in the bay fishing and just want to hang out, come on..

What I have learned this year is to not be afraid to raise rates during peak travel times/holidays. People will pay what the market can bare and especially with COVID, people are looking at low key travels and have done well in this space.

Comment

Quite a bit of additional insurance costs to cover - especially if you go the “beach” route. TWIA insurance is expensive, and big deductibles out of pocket are a question of when, not if, in those areas.

Comment

Most stuff is pretty cheap - if someone wants to steal one of my Wal-Mart spoons, I'm actually not that mad about it. Plates and glasses are going to get broken sometimes. Toasters and coffee makers are pretty cheap.

We have animal mounts and a pool table in our riverfront place, but I think most people know that they are on the hook for stuff like that that gets damaged, stolen, etc.

The key seems to be standardization - four pillows on each bed (those need to be chunked frequently anyway), four towels and four washcloths in each bathroom, eight each - spoons, forks, knives, plates, glasses.....

We also have cameras at our houses, so the urge to throw a party and invite 50 people, or to take the couch when they leave, is somewhat deterred by those.

Comment

Sound like they’re all practical solutions, a few of which I may be able to put in practice myself.

We have a ranch that’s in a family trust and is used by a lot of family members. My husband manages the trust and gets frustrated as, often, the ranch house is treated more like a vacation rental by others; it’s there when they want to get away, fish, hunt, or celebrate an event. However, when it comes time for maintenance and upkeep, some of them are nowhere to be found.

Ah, well...family. Can’t live with ‘em, can’t kill ‘em.

(All joking aside, most members of the family are really good folks!)

Comment

Wife and I were gonna buy a place down in The Shores on South Padre Island. We made it clear we were gonna buy the place and then they decided not to sell it and build another one as well. They had a 3-2-2 for mid 400,s.

Comment

Working...
                                X