No announcement yet.

Drawn for Mule Deer at Elephant Mountain WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got drawn for Big Bend Ranch State Park in December so I’m appreciating the pointers shared here as well.

My concern is walking in a half mile or mile into my compartment, shooting a buck and then getting it back to the road. I called the SP and asked if I can quarter the animal in the field then check it in. They prefer field dressed and otherwise whole upon check in so they can weigh it.

Dragging a deer across the desert floor for any extended distance will be a major PITA.

I guess the key is to hunt close to the roads. Or, shoot one in the morning and spend all day dragging it back to the road. My muscles are cramping up typing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
      I got drawn for Big Bend Ranch State Park in December so I’m appreciating the pointers shared here as well.

My concern is walking in a half mile or mile into my compartment, shooting a buck and then getting it back to the road. I called the SP and asked if I can quarter the animal in the field then check it in. They prefer field dressed and otherwise whole upon check in so they can weigh it.

Dragging a deer across the desert floor for any extended distance will be a major PITA.

I guess the key is to hunt close to the roads. Or, shoot one in the morning and spend all day dragging it back to the road. My muscles are cramping up typing this.

Just quarter it
      What are they going to do? Better to get the deer out in pieces than not at all. It’s unreasonable to expect someone to pack a whole deer off of the mountain or deep valley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Or just take a game cart. Granted you may have to walk out just to get the cart, but that will be easier than dragging it very far.

Comment

Working...
        X