Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NR Wyoming changes a foot

Thought I would post this up here.
    Don't panic just yet as this bill will not pass but the quota change will at some point.
    Look closely as the Outfitters Association has come out against it.
    In the future the quota will change down to a 90/10 split for residents/ NR I'm betting but would likely put more tags in the general draw for you all.

Summary (2020-02-12) Hunting licenses-resident and nonresident. [Failed Introduction 1-28-1-0-0]

I saw that. Hope it doesn’t pass.

Comment

Personally I would like to see our quota go up on sheep, moose and bison but really, not rolling all the tags over into the NR draw form our leftover resident draw is also a big sticking point to residents. Just put those tags in the leftover draw for all instead of right into the NR draw first.
      Not many support this bill at all and it will not make it out of committee is the thinking.

Comment

Bill failed in committee.

Comment

Thanks wytex, although if I draw this year it’s probably my last as I’m getting up there in age. That trip ain’t as easy as it used to be !

Comment

Good to know

Comment

I've only hunted whitetails in Wyoming, and then always in the NE corner (Devil's Tower area). It's a great hunt with a high success rate on mature bucks, and it's generally been pretty easy to draw. Not sure how many locals even care if we NRs end up continuing to have an easy time getting that tag. But sooner or later it will tighten up. That's just the way things seem to trend with Western big game any more.

Comment

That hunt up there is a last chance type hunt for lots of Residents, if you haven't filled your elk or deer tag you can go to the Black hills for a whitetail in Nov.

Wyoming allots more tags to NR than most other western states and residents are starting to grip about the draw possibilities for moose and sheep and the highly sought after elk tags. 90/10 split may happen soon, I would use those PP sooner than later.

Comment

Yep. I've always thought Wyoming's allocation as generous. Considering the price difference, residents can either have a less generous allocation or higher cost, but probably not both without taking funds from the state general fund. That's not a good idea in my view. General fund money always has strings attached. Many residents of western states don't look at these together. You can either have cheaper license, more allocation or more access. But if you raise one then something has to give somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                  X