Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thrill of victory ..............................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thrill of victory ..............................

.....................and the agony of defeat

So yesterday afternoon I got off early, wife had to work until 6 so I decided to try and bust a pig with the AR. Saw a coyote as I was setting up but it was behind a bunch of brush and didn't waste a shot.
    No pigs but when I got back to truck there was a coyote (probably same one) in the corral with some heifers my neighbor has on the place so couldn't shoot.

So after I got a little work accomplished today, I still had some time before dark and grabbed the AR and Foxpro and headed back over to the location I was the day before.

I have never had any luck calling coyotes in the past.

So I put Foxpro about 50yds out backed up in the shadow of a cedar and turned Lightning Jack on and within 5min had a coyote loping across the field. That was the thrill of victory as it was my first predator called in.

Now for the agony.
    Got on the gun and he was a little skiddish but he stopped, I put the crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed. He slammed into the dirt and I was pumped.
    Then he started flopping, pulled up on his front end, spun twice and got his back end up and headed for the woods
    Of course I am standing there watching all of this unfold in total disbelief and by the time I got back on the gun he was in the woods before I could shoot (I know

Spent 30min looking for blood or any sign of him with no luck.

Almost an hour later I popped a blond boar hog in nearly the same place so only thing I can think is I pulled a little high on the yote?
    Yote was definitely was not firing on all cylinders when he headed for the woods

6.8 SPC with 115gr Federal Fusion ammo if anyone was wondering

At least it wasn’t a miss! It is fun calling them in.

Comment

Better luck next time, wait till you call in two in a set and things interesting quickly, I love my 6.8 with 110 vmax

Comment

The 6.8 Federal Fusion is my go-to for hogs and coyotes. Stick to your calling, about 7/8 out of ten sets net zero, just gotta trudge on !

Comment

At least he’s hurting!

Comment

Great job. He wont be back.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              Great job. He wont be back.
              Him or the piggy [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Comment

I hate wounding anything but unfortunately it happens sometimes. One of two things happened I'm guessing. You hit it too far back or got it in the lungs and it didn't make far into the woods. That particular bullet shouldn't have blown up on the shoulder.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  I hate wounding anything but unfortunately it happens sometimes. One of two things happened I'm guessing. You hit it too far back or got it in the lungs and it didn't make far into the woods. That particular bullet shouldn't have blown up on the shoulder.
                  I wish I knew, could be right about hitting back since it took it a minute to get the back end going

It hit the dirt like a head shot though

Comment

Originally posted by JDH875 View Post
                    At least it wasn’t a miss! It is fun calling them in.
                    Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                    At least he’s hurting!
                    So.......causing a coyote to suffer from a bad shot is a good thing?

Comment

Nice work BT! Hopefully he dies somewhere!! That’s the endgame for the fawn killers ... same for the pig![emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                        I wish I knew, could be right about hitting back since it took it a minute to get the back end going

It hit the dirt like a head shot though
                        Throughout the years I've shot some coyotes that I couldn't believe got up and ran. I blew a big chunk of fur off one after shooting it in the shoulder last Winter and never did find it. Saw it hit the ground hard and next thing I know it's up and running. I've lost 4 or 5 this Winter do to hitting them in the guts. If you mess up and get them in the intestines they'll still run a long ways.

Was the coyote you shot standing broadside when you shot it or quartered to you? One mangey coyote I shot this Winter was quartered to me but it was standing behind a berm. When I shot I didn't see the hit but I heard the unmistakable sound of the bullet hitting meat. My buddy said he saw it go down. I never saw it get up or anything but I went and looked for it and never found it. No blood,no nothing just gone. I know I hit that coyote but it was nowhere to be found. I had to of hit it in the guts because I thought I was shooting it behind the shoulder but it was quartered to me so in reality I was aiming further back than I thought.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 02-23-2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          So.......causing a coyote to suffer from a bad shot is a good thing?
                          Not for me if it is intentional

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          Throughout the years I've shot some coyotes that I couldn't believe got up and ran. I blew a big chunk of fur off one after shooting it in the shoulder last Winter and never did find it. Saw it hit the ground hard and next thing I know it's up and running. I've lost 4 or 5 this Winter do to hitting them in the guts. If you mess up and get them in the intestines they'll still run a long ways.

Was the coyote you shot standing broadside when you shot it or quartered to you? One mangey coyote I shot this Winter was quartered to me but it was standing behind a berm. When I shot I didn't see the hit but I heard the unmistakable sound of the bullet hitting meat. My buddy said he saw it go down. I never saw it get up or anything but I went and looked for it and never found it. No blood,no nothing just gone. I know I hit that coyote but it was nowhere to be found. I had to of hit it in the guts because I thought I was shooting it behind the shoulder but it was quartered to me so in reality I was aiming further back than I thought.
                          If he was not 100% broadside he was barely quartered to me

Would have gone back and looked some more after church but it has been drizzling here all day. Would just have to trip over it to find it if it is dead

Comment

I have blown a baseball sized hole through the lungs of a coyote with a .270 and watched it get up and run 150 yds before giving it up. Also if you hit back and gut shot him they will run a ways after as well.

Just like Zombie land be ready for the double tap and stay on the gun after you hit them just in case. Also keep calling after you shoot just in case his buddy isnt far behind.

Congrats on the first dog called in took me 2 years to get that first one in and killed. It gets easier after that. And more addictive than bowhunting

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yote.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	24609451

Thought this might be the yote I shot

But that spot at top of shoulder would be entry side. Probably light shining on it or some other something.

I did walk around in the woods over there this afternoon thinking I might smell it but no luck

Comment

Working...
                              X