New Mexico Unit 34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico Unit 34

Just came into a piece of property located inside the Lincoln National Forest.

I've always hunted Colorado and Wyoming but never new mexico….I know its not a very non-resident friendly state.

Anyone every hunt this unit for elk or deer?

Yes, locals are very mean towards non residents. Forward the contact info to me.

Does it come with landowner tags? Hopefully they are unit wide tags
    Last edited by Jamesl; 02-14-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I archery hunted it last year, was a good hunt saw lots if elk each day, wouldn’t hesitate to go back.

Comment

I have. Great unit. I'll buy all the unit wide landowner tags you got for $2000 ea.

Comment

That's some of the best elk in the state, especially if you're near the mescalero Apache res. I've hunted that and unit 32 most of my life. Good mulies too.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
            Just came into a piece of property located inside the Lincoln National Forest.

I've always hunted Colorado and Wyoming but never new mexico….I know its not a very non-resident friendly state.

Anyone every hunt this unit for elk or deer?
            Good buddy of mine has hunted it for Elk. Let me know if you need info.

Comment

I believe property has to be a certain number of acres and you can apply for landowner elk tags. I'm not sure how big it has to be. I have purchased a landowner tag there and paid 6k for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jstamps50 View Post
                That's some of the best elk in the state, especially if you're near the mescalero Apache res. I've hunted that and unit 32 most of my life. Good mulies too.

reports I can find state its a great elk unit but below par for Mule deer. I'm gonna put in for both so we will see

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                  reports I can find state its a great elk unit but below par for Mule deer. I'm gonna put in for both so we will see
                  That's accurate.

It's target rich for elk, good numbers of muleys but not a lot of bigguns if that's what you are looking for.

I've hunted there three times and I love the area. It's a nice little oasis in the middle of a desert of craplands lol

Comment

In my experience, good Mulies are getting harder to find. I think New Mexico as a whole needs to do some better management. I think they need to open up doe tags and implement some better antler restrictions. The herd has been suffering there for a long time. Everyone blasts every fork horn they see. The majority never reach 3x3. And the buck doe ratio has got to be 100 to 1. There's definitely mature bucks around but they're hard to find.

Comment

let me know if you need a buddy to split gas with. We can still apply for draws until March 18th :-) Might as well apply for Mule deer too...

Comment

Unit 34 2 years ago. Killed 30 min into 1st day of youth season. Outfitter said it was a horrible year for antlers due to drought. 330” bull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeetleGuy View Post
                          Unit 34 2 years ago. Killed 30 min into 1st day of youth season. Outfitter said it was a horrible year for antlers due to drought. 330” bull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          That bull would have scored better if he wasn't busted off on the right side.

Comment

Some really great public land elk in the unit. ive seen a couple of nice bucks but the elk hunting is definitely better than deer

Comment

put in for September Elk and Mule Deer.....here is to hoping

Comment

Working...
                              X