Nilgai don't jump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai don't jump?

I have always read and heard that Nilgai don't jump fences but will go under them or through them when scared. Well a few days ago we were on our way back from Boca Chica Beach and I always keep my eye out for them because there are a few out there, not nearly as many as on hwy 48 between Brownsville and Port Isabel but I've seen a few. Sure enough we spotted a couple of bulls out in front of us and they were heading across the flat towards the road. There was no one behind us so I stopped to watch and see what they would do and those two bulls came up to the first fence and jumped right over it just like it was nothing, just like a deer would. Then they crossed the road right in front of us and we got to see them jump the next fence when they kept going. It was quite a sight. My son actually got a couple pics with his phone and they aren't excellent quality but still pretty cool. I'm waiting on him to send them to me. Anyway, it was a pretty cool thing to see.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

I haven't seen them jump a fence, but I know they can and will. I do have video from this past March of 25 bulls going under a fence in front of us.

Comment

One of the things they do ...... after they jump a fence...... is they stop and poo. Find a fence crossing and get down wind and it’s a great place for a bow shot!!!

Comment

Past few I saw jump was when they got drilled by a .300 win mag! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You are in Brownsville? I hope you keep your valuables locked up. ��������

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. I saw a blue bull jump a fence like nothing . I think it’s more of how can a big animal like that big jump a fence so easy. It looked so unreal to me. I sat there in my truck for a few minutes just replaying what I just saw. I have seen them 1000s of Times go under or through a fence, but only once jump a fence. It was a majestic sight .

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
              You are in Brownsville? I hope you keep your valuables locked up. ��������
              Lol, not sure if you are joking or if that's the old "everything in Brownsville gets stolen" ignorance reply. I have lived in Brownsville 39 of my 42 years and the only thing I have ever had stolen was a lawn mower about 15 years ago. Doesn't really seem like a prevalent problem to me.

Comment

Got the pics.

Comment

I've seen them do it as well

Comment

We watched a big eland bull flatfoot jump an 8’ game fence. Talk about big animals jumping!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like that t post has seen a couple NOT clear the fence

Comment

That's cool. I've seen a couple every now and then heading down hwy 510. Always wondered if they jumped fences.

Comment

Was sitting in a stand one morning on the corner of the neighbors high fence ranch. I could here a vehicle coming in a hurry down their fence line. Next thing I knew there’s a big Nilgai bull standing in front of me. He jumped clean over that 8’ fence getting away from those hunters. They walked that corner for 30 minutes trying to figure out where he went.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                            Was sitting in a stand one morning on the corner of the neighbors high fence ranch. I could here a vehicle coming in a hurry down their fence line. Next thing I knew there’s a big Nilgai bull standing in front of me. He jumped clean over that 8’ fence getting away from those hunters. They walked that corner for 30 minutes trying to figure out where he went.
                            Sooo... How did it taste?

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                              Lol, not sure if you are joking or if that's the old "everything in Brownsville gets stolen" ignorance reply. I have lived in Brownsville 39 of my 42 years and the only thing I have ever had stolen was a lawn mower about 15 years ago. Doesn't really seem like a prevalent problem to me.

Of course I'm joking. I can joke about it cause I'm originally from Los Fresnos. It just seems like whenever someone brings up the Valley there are those that chime in about how dangerous the Valley. Most of them have never lived there.

Comment

Working...
                              X