Seasoning cast iron cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seasoning cast iron cookware

And speaking of cookware...does anyone have a tried-and-true method for seasoning cast iron cookware? I don’t seem to be able to achieve the non-stick feature that comes with a good seasoning.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRZMXZfcol8"]How to Use Cast Iron: Cooking, Cleaning and Seasoning - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Tagged

Comment

If the cast iron is "pitted" you need to sand it smooth. Than apply several coats of seasoning. To keep the seasoning DO NOT wash or scrub. One of these days I'm going to use my cast iron as a weapon on my wife because she always wants to scrub and wash mine with soap and water.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          If the cast iron is "pitted" you need to sand it smooth. Than apply several coats of seasoning. To keep the seasoning DO NOT wash or scrub. One of these days I'm going to use my cast iron as a weapon on my wife because she always wants to scrub and wash mine with soap and water.
          My wife ran the cast iron through the dishwasher Once
          Now she doesn’t touch my cast iron

I season with flaxseed oil or avocado oil 3-4 times
          It just seems to work better, but crisco isn’t that bad ether
          Cook lots of bacon/ meat in it
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 04-16-2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

An easy and tasty way to season cast iron cookware is to cook bacon in it every day for a week or two and make sure the grease gets up on the sides of the pan. It's ok if it has the rough surface like new Lodge pans have these days. The low spots will fill with carbon over time and the final surface will be smooth.

After the bacon is cooked, drain the grease through a paper towel and save it in the fridge to use for cooking later.

Clean the pan under running hot water while scraping it clean with a metal or plastic spatula. Dry the pan by heating it over the stove, or use a paper towel. It doesn't have to be super dry.

Try to use the cast iron frequently. If it is not used in a week or two, the oil film on the cooking surface will go rancid. If that happens, scrape it clean under running hot water and wipe it out with a paper towel right before you use it again. It will be fine.

Deep frying in the cast iron is good for seasoning, too. The little bits that sink to the bottom and sit in hot oil for a long time make for a good layer of seasoning in the pan.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post

This is the best way I’ve found if it’s pitted. Not all brands need it but lodge seems to as a whole. Check our Kent Rollins YouTube. He has a couple videos that do a good job of showing reseasoning as well as the best cleaning procedure I’ve found.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

a few years ago a co-worker asked me about this same thing. his mom was a smoker. cigarettes. she used a 5 inch cast iron skillet as a ash tray. was it any good he wanted to know. sure i said. just throw out the old ashes, wash it with water and cook some cheap bacon 5-6 times and you are good to go. but never use soap to keep it clean. that will make it taste bad.

Comment

Kent Rollins has a lot of good info. Don’t use paper towels on the skillet. Use a little bit of oil with a cloth rag. Season it only when the metal is hot. You want the metal to absorb the oil. I keep my skillet in the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                    This is the best way I’ve found if it’s pitted. Not all brands need it but lodge seems to as a whole. Check our Kent Rollins YouTube. He has a couple videos that do a good job of showing reseasoning as well as the best cleaning procedure I’ve found.

Sierracharlie out…

I second Kent Rollins videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                      And speaking of cookware...does anyone have a tried-and-true method for seasoning cast iron cookware? I don’t seem to be able to achieve the non-stick feature that comes with a good seasoning.
                      Kent Rollins does have some good videos on cast iron skillet. I told someone on another thread, can't remember which one, that I used walnut oil but I actually use flaxseed oil. Yes it is a bit pricey but I think it's worth it as a bottle of it will last a very long time.

What is the best oil to use for seasoning cast iron?

The oil used by artists and woodturners is linseed oil. The food-grade equivalent is called flaxseed oil. This oil is ideal for seasoning cast iron for the same reason it's an ideal base for oil paint and wood finishes. It's a “drying oil”, which means it can transform into a hard, tough film.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Comment

Do this, problem solved

We'd seasoned our cast iron the same way for years. But when we heard about a new method that creates a slick surface so indestructible that touch-ups are almost never necessary, we were intrigued.

Comment

Dad gum green back ground makes it hard reading !!
                          I will burn an ole cast iron in open fire then scrub with wire brush and cook a big ole fat chicken in pit that usually will season and keep away from my wife!!

Comment

Hard to argue with a testimonial from America’s Test Kitchen! Think I’ll buy me some flaxseed oil and give it a try.

Comment

We have cast iron @ the fire station that's very seasoned. We clean them w/soap & water every time we use them. Not sure why y'all are saying don't use soap.
                              When new, I coat them in lard & put them in the oven @ 350 for 10-15 minutes. I do this cycle several times, before actually using, then they seem good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X