No announcement yet.

Barndo Spray Foam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main reason I wanted closed cell under the roof metal was to insure no leaks down the road and as a buffer when hail hits the metal.
    My walls have OSB inside for the closed cell to adhere to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
      Main reason I wanted closed cell under the roof metal was to insure no leaks down the road and as a buffer when hail hits the metal.
      My walls have OSB inside for the closed cell to adhere to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Did you do any type of wrap or barrier between the osb and the panels?

Comment

Leaning strongly towards full coverage closed cell for strength and water proofing. Then adding open cell in living area walls.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
          Leaning strongly towards full coverage closed cell for strength and water proofing. Then adding open cell in living area walls.

Will you have sheathing and some kind of moisture barrier in the living area walls? Or am I misreading what you are saying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We built 13 years ago and used 5-6 inches of open cell on the outer walls and 8 inches under roof... We applied directly to the metal... We have no rust or moisture issues... It looks just as it did when built... If I were to build another.. I’d do the same...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              Will you have sheathing and some kind of moisture barrier in the living area walls? Or am I misreading what you are saying?

It should say all interior living area walls will get open cell. If a living area wall is a building exterior wall, it will get closed cell then open on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                It should say all interior living area walls will get open cell. If a living area wall is a building exterior wall, it will get closed cell then open on top.

What do you gain by insulating interior walls? Again I may be misunderstanding what you are saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  What do you gain by insulating interior walls? Again I may be misunderstanding what you are saying.

Sound barrier. Open cell is superior sound dampening. You can’t hear what’s going on in the next room!

Comment

Settled... 1” closed on all exterior walls and roof. Then filling wall cavity with open cell and 5.5” more on the roof.

Comment

We did 2x6 exterior walls and traditional bag insulation there, with a full 6" spray foam insulation in the rafters and gable ends. Our house is extremely well-insulated and can still "breathe" like the houses of old. Due to the spray-foam "lid,' our house never got over 55 degrees a couple weeks ago, despite being without power for four days. No frozen pipes in the attic, none of that. Spray as much foam insulation as you can afford.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                        We used open cell on walls and roof...love it. Not sure why you would use different types of foam mixed together?

We went 6 inches on the exterior walls and pushing 7-8 inches on the roof.
                        This is what I did on my 2200 sq ft barndo. I did all the way to the attic and condition that as well. During the recent cold snap the temp got down to 3 degrees where I'm at. With all the power interruptions, I finally just turned off my heat pump and used a roll around propane heater to keep the house heated. It took one full 5 gallon propane tank used on and off to get me through until the weather broke. On the second coldest day, I had the propane heater on low most of the day. At 9pm, the house was 68°. I turned off the heater overnight for 12 hours and at 9am, the house was still 62°.

My February bill was 125.00. 9 dollars more than January. My average throughout the year for the last 7 years is 134.00. It's a pretty safe bet that you will not regret it whether you go with open or closed on the sidewalls.

Closed cell is an effective vapor barrier if you think that matters (I don't for the hill country climate).

Last points.. Closed cell on the underside of the roof panels will keep you from easily finding any leaks. Water will travel before it finds a way in. With open cell it will show itself right where it's penetrating the roof. At least that's my understanding. Make sure you use a good contractor either way. If they screw up the mixture when they spray, they create a mess that will stink and never set up correctly. And you will have a nightmare on your hands that will likely ruin your year. At least.
                        Last edited by TSE; 03-05-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X