Aging Venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aging Venison

Any tips on aging venison? I’ve tried before and either I didn’t age it long enough or I don’t have a sensitive enough palate to tell the difference. I’ve had a hind quarter hanging in my fridge for almost 2 weeks and am wondering if I should leave it longer (last time I did 1 week). I know there are videos online on dry-aging but I heard they involve adding bacteria or something like that but I’m just not that invested. As a committed slacker, is there something else I can do? How long should I age it?

I've been wet aging venison in vacuum sealed bags in my fridge for a couple years now. Usually, I do 14-21 days, and sometimes longer. There's a definite improvement in flavor, and tenderness. I highly recommend it!

Comment

I think 2 weeks is good, 1 more wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't go much past that or you will be cutting a lot of the meat away from the outer layer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
        I've been wet aging venison in vacuum sealed bags in my fridge for a couple years now. Usually, I do 14-21 days, and sometimes longer. There's a definite improvement in flavor, and tenderness. I highly recommend it!
        May have to try that.

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
        I think 2 weeks is good, 1 more wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't go much past that or you will be cutting a lot of the meat away from the outer layer.
        I've found that the dried meat on the outside will still grind along with some that's moist to make excellent burgers.

Comment

I would say 2 weeks is plenty for dry age. I usually age does 7-10 days and bucks 14 days.

Comment

Will be trying this

Comment

Working...
            X