Reverse Seared Backstrap with Herb and Rosemary Balsamic Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Seared Backstrap with Herb and Rosemary Balsamic Reduction

This was pretty killer so thought I would share.

Backstraps:
    Pull these out before starting the balsamic reduction. Use a filet knife to remove all silver skin and sinew. Using a paper towel, pull off all anything that isn’t good meat from the surface of the strap. Cut into 1.5-2 inch thick medallions and salt liberally. At this point you want it to sit until the steak gets to room temperature. You can start the balsamic reduction while you wait.

Balsamic Reduction:
    Pour about 1 cup of quality balsamic vinegar into a small sauce pan and add Italian seasoning and a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary. Add about a tablespoon of honey. Let the mixture cook down for about 10 minutes and then strain the herbs and rosemary then place back on the stove. Continue cooking on low until it’s fairly thick (run a spoon down the pan and you can see the bottom of the pan for a moment). Once you turn off the heat it will get even thicker as it cools.

Get a hot grill that has 1/2 the burners on low and 1/2 on high. Place the steak on the low side and let it cook on each side fo 1-2 minutes or so. (This includes the sides of the steak). This lasts about 4-6 minutes depending on the steak. At this point I brush on some olive oil and then sprinkle with no msg no salt fajita seasoning. Move the steaks to the hot side and sear both sides for 1-2 minutes each. The olive oil helps make a nice crust. Remove from grill and let sit for 5 minutes or so.

Now drizzle the balsamic on the steak and serve.
    Last edited by Kevin; 02-29-2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Looks like mighty fine eating.

Comment

Wow chalk this one up in the Win column. Phenomenal. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Comment

Wife even said we dont have to go to Lonesome Dove for another year.

Comment

Dang, that looks great! I’ve been hearing a lot lately about the virtues of reverse searing but have never tried it. My current quest is to be able to replicate a Pittsburgh crust on a rare+ steak similar to those that are done at a chop house. Haven’t been all that successful so far, I suspect it’s because I can’t replicate the high cooking temps they use in restaurants without setting off the smoke alarm in my house. ((sigh))

Comment

Definitely going to do this. will even do it with beef

Comment

We ended up deciding to do this for Christmas it was so good.

Comment

Tagged for later! Sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                    Dang, that looks great! I’ve been hearing a lot lately about the virtues of reverse searing but have never tried it. My current quest is to be able to replicate a Pittsburgh crust on a rare+ steak similar to those that are done at a chop house. Haven’t been all that successful so far, I suspect it’s because I can’t replicate the high cooking temps they use in restaurants without setting off the smoke alarm in my house. ((sigh))

What oil are you searing in? Try using a higher temp oil like avocado and you will get less smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X