X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by mastercraftka View Post
      I made my first this winter. I did use pink cure. I would like to do it without but you need to be prepared to have it sit for twice as long. The Pink cure speeds up the curing process. So yes you can do it without pink cure but be prepared to babysit it for more than a month.

As for those that smoke it up to 165 not sure why you cook it then freeze it and then fry it but to each his own. How does that make it better? I only cold smoke mine just like I do my fresh sausage, dried sausage and summer sausage.

Anyway I used a dry cure it is very easy to get it over salty, gotta cure it for a few days take out rinse it and sample a piece.

Good luck there are lots of different ways to cure it btw the way.
      Thank you for the info. Im with you on the smoking it till its cooked. I think that would come in play if you were smoking the bacon on a warm day, where in that case I would use the pink cure or tender quick. I plan on cold smoking mine on a cool day where I wont be worried about bacteria growth.

Comment

dry brine here. It can be done without the cure. Won't have the good color to it and won't keep as long. I do it few times a year and give away some.

p.s. I never ever cook it... doesn't make sense to me either. Only cold smoke then slice and freeze.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BuckRage; 02-11-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
          dry brine here. It can be done without the cure. Won't have the good color to it and won't keep as long. I do it few times a year and give away some.

p.s. I never ever cook it... doesn't make sense to me either. Only cold smoke then slice and freeze.
          You sir are living right!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

That bacon strip looks good, I haven't done it but will love to learn how to make it.

Comment

Got my mouth watering

Comment

No way I could get into making bacon. My Cholesterol would be thru the roof.

Hoggslayer

Comment

I am going to try it. Costco pretty close to me. Last time I was there I saw the pork belly 2.99# What I am afraid of is I will like so much better than store bought I maybe making bacon forever.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                    I am going to try it. Costco pretty close to me. Last time I was there I saw the pork belly 2.99# What I am afraid of is I will like so much better than store bought I maybe making bacon forever.
                    It was 2.99 last weekend there and has been for the last year or so since i first started buying it for making smoked pork belly burnt ends.
                    On another note, its day three and the slabs are firming up nicely and have completely changed colors to an nice looking mahogany. Someone posted here it could take a month for the process to finish, but from what i have found on recipies guys are doing this same cure for 4 to 7 10 days depending on jow much liquid continues to come out of the meat. I did drain the bag juice today and it was substantial. I will update yall when i think the slabs are ready.

Comment

curing process does not take a month... most people will stop at 7 days which is the minimum I would do it. I normally go 14-17 days. Never drain off the liquid... thats where all the curing comes from. Only drain when your ready to start processing.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                        curing process does not take a month... most people will stop at 7 days which is the minimum I would do it. I normally go 14-17 days. Never drain off the liquid... thats where all the curing comes from. Only drain when your ready to start processing.
                        Well the liquid is down the drain already. The old timers didnt have zipper bags and just left the meat with salt on it and the liquid dripped away. Im still in, but thanknyou for the contribution and help brother.

Comment

I do about twice a year. Which reminds me I need to go to Costco and get a couple pork bellies. I’m way low. I used TenderQuick and then add flavorings when I am ready to smoke. Usually just coarse grind black pepper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting. I'm got to try this.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                              It was 2.99 last weekend there and has been for the last year or so since i first started buying it for making smoked pork belly burnt ends.
                              On another note, its day three and the slabs are firming up nicely and have completely changed colors to an nice looking mahogany. Someone posted here it could take a month for the process to finish, but from what i have found on recipies guys are doing this same cure for 4 to 7 10 days depending on jow much liquid continues to come out of the meat. I did drain the bag juice today and it was substantial. I will update yall when i think the slabs are ready.

Looking good! I don’t drain it. I have a theory those juices have a lot of salt in it and helps with the curing and flavor when I make different flavored bacons. I’ve never let mine go longer then 9 days, not saying you can’t, just never saw a need for it. Definitely have never needed to go a month lol.

The discussion on hot smoking got me thinking; I really don’t know why I started to hot smoke it. Most likely because that’s the way I was taught. So I opened up my book on charcuterie and the author here recommends a hot smoke on bacon. I also like to eat it without frying it sometimes. So taking it to temp before freezing allows me to do that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F502026A-B7FC-4A11-B7C7-89A084941D14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	24571144

Comment

That is a bible for the meat loving man for sure. I love that cover.

Comment

Working...
                                X