Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-27-2021, 05:11 PM   #1101
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Onalaska Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
Sat a mowed pasture and does started piling in yesterday about 430. Quit counting at 30 as I lost count of who was who but only 5 scrubby little bucks mixed in the group. All the big bucks are eating and sleeping off the rut. Got 2 4.5 year old ones living off my feeder and the protein that was put out last week. Both are limping hard on the front end busted up from fighting.
Yep all the bucks older than 1 1/2 over here are carrying first aid kits around. Surprised that I have not seen one single broken tine. Last year by this time I had several with broken beams.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2021, 06:19 PM   #1102
BarW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

90% of the bucks i have on camera or see are broken up, including a big 9 thats a regular 9am visitor but is now a 5 pt.

Also have a young 8 with a spilt brow I was hoping would make it a couple more years either was shot or injured in a fight.
Front right leg just hangs limp I'm thinking someone made a poor shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #1103
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
Where yíall killing does? Mld?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of counties run through tomorrow for does
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-27-2021, 07:22 PM   #1104
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarW View Post
90% of the bucks i have on camera or see are broken up, including a big 9 thats a regular 9am visitor but is now a 5 pt.

Also have a young 8 with a spilt brow I was hoping would make it a couple more years either was shot or injured in a fight.
Front right leg just hangs limp I'm thinking someone made a poor shot.

That a shame. Hopefully he doesnít go too far down. Iíve been involved in a few mercy killings and sure hate doing it but just feel that itís the right thing to do.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:49 AM   #1105
BarW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tyler, Polk, Angelina counties, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
That a shame. Hopefully he doesnít go too far down. Iíve been involved in a few mercy killings and sure hate doing it but just feel that itís the right thing to do.
Hes gone nocturnal so all I can do is feed him currently.
Hes able to lick the open wound but puts zero weight on the leg.

BarW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 07:03 AM   #1106
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarW View Post
Hes gone nocturnal so all I can do is feed him currently.
Hes able to lick the open wound but puts zero weight on the leg.

They will surprise you on how tough they are

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #1107
CWendling
Eight Point

Hunt In: Henderson

We hunted fri, sat, and this morning. Friday had 3 bucks at the feeder, one was maybe legal, other 2 werent. Shot a big boar before crawling out that eve. Nothing saturday, and only one lil spike this morning. I did jump up a decent sized (didnt see him real well) buck when filling another feeder.
CWendling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 08:00 PM   #1108
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
They will surprise you on how tough they are

You see the trail cam vid of the buck missing an entire loin? Walking around like nothing happened.

∆theling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 08:37 PM   #1109
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆theling View Post
You see the trail cam vid of the buck missing an entire loin? Walking around like nothing happened.

I remember that!! Could someone share it here again as a refresher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 10:03 PM   #1110
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Nevermind! Found it!! Wow.

https://youtu.be/HWq4C-3s6Gs

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 10:42 PM   #1111
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

We've still got 2+ months to go at the lease, but right now it's on pace to go down as the biggest bust for me in 34 years.

I didn't kill a deer at our farm, not even a doe, and I may not kill one at the lease either. As so many others have stated I'm very concerned about our deer numbers as a whole.

All of the bucks I've seen are young, like 1.5 - 2.5, and all of the mature bucks I did have on camera at the lease have been MIA for well over a month. It's entirely possible they're already dead, but given the light pressure around our lease I find that hard to believe.

I just don't know what to make of any of it. I do know one thing though: I am not busting my *** as hard as I did prepping for this season ever again. It's just not worth the money and stress.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-28-2021, 11:13 PM   #1112
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post
We've still got 2+ months to go at the lease, but right now it's on pace to go down as the biggest bust for me in 34 years.

I didn't kill a deer at our farm, not even a doe, and I may not kill one at the lease either. As so many others have stated I'm very concerned about our deer numbers as a whole.

All of the bucks I've seen are young, like 1.5 - 2.5, and all of the mature bucks I did have on camera at the lease have been MIA for well over a month. It's entirely possible they're already dead, but given the light pressure around our lease I find that hard to believe.

I just don't know what to make of any of it. I do know one thing though: I am not busting my *** as hard as I did prepping for this season ever again. It's just not worth the money and stress.

Every stranger or business acquaintance I speak with in Walker and Montgomery counties as well as a few others are describing the same situation. Some bucks taken but for the most part ghost town.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:05 AM   #1113
Anvilheadtexas
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆theling View Post
Every stranger or business acquaintance I speak with in Walker and Montgomery counties as well as a few others are describing the same situation. Some bucks taken but for the most part ghost town.

And yet when I tried to fire up my East Tx Deer Numbers Thread no one came to post except a few guys who said their deer numbers were good because they killed a big buck?

Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 11-29-2021 at 12:07 AM.
Anvilheadtexas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 12:08 AM   #1114
Native Texan
Ten Point

Slowest weekend of the season for me. I saw only one deer but he was one of my target bucks, a big 8 point with a massive body. First time in several seasons that I got the shakes...until I saw that half of his right main beam was busted off. I had a great shot opportunity but let him walk.
Other lease members said that the few deer they saw seemed very skittish around the feeders.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 12:21 AM   #1115
Anvilheadtexas
Associate Sponsor

Since I punched out opening weekend. I spent time at farm with family. Hiking, watching wood ducks roost, exploring. Corn under feeders seemed to be sitting. Our food plots look great… green and tall. Serious, not one nipping or track in them. I would not be exaggerating say the deer just are not eating oats and peas or the deer are just not there? Will see what happens here in the next month with a green fields. Cameras indicating some activity around feeders but in the middle of the night. I was glad I was not hunting.l this weekend. There, I said it. We spent a lot of time in woods exploring…. Saw no deer.

Last edited by Anvilheadtexas; 11-29-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:26 AM   #1116
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
And yet when I tried to fire up my East Tx Deer Numbers Thread no one came to post except a few guys who said their deer numbers were good because they killed a big buck?
I’m here to tell you in the three counties I hunt the numbers are WAY down.

My lease is MLDP and we’ve never got more than 12 doe permits. The last 4 seasons we’ve gotten 9, but I don’t think we’ve ever used them all. Even at just 9. So blaming MLDP is out of the question.

Our farm is not MLDP, but I know full well the blame lies on the 16 day doe season we’ve had for the last 4 seasons. Ever since they instituted that the numbers have plummeted steadily.

If anyone know who to contact at TPWD about petitioning to revert it back, I would love to know.

Last edited by Etxbuckman; 11-29-2021 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:33 AM   #1117
Anvilheadtexas
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Iím here to tell you in the three counties I hunt the numbers are WAY down.
I have been seeing the trend for three seasons. Pulled plug on shooting does last year. Up until then took one a year (250 acres). But here is the crazy thingÖ I am at my place ALOT Ö I could count the deer I saw during summer on one hand. Cameras suggested this summer a big bachelor group in back, but few does. I took advantage of that Intel and took a buck opening day. With the lack of does.. I hate to think what next season will look like. And my neighbors, as far as I know, are not lighting them up!
Old 11-29-2021, 12:54 AM   #1118
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
I have been seeing the trend for three seasons. Pulled plug on shooting does last year. Up until then took one a year (250 acres). But here is the crazy thing… I am at my place ALOT … I could count the deer I saw during summer on one hand. Cameras suggested this summer a big bachelor group in back, but few does. I took advantage of that Intel and took a buck opening day. With the lack of does.. I hate to think what next season will look like. And my neighbors, as far as I know, are not lighting them up!
I have the same three does on cameras at two stand locations at my lease, and another three on another stand on a different side of the property. So thats somewhere between 6 and 9 does total (assuming no duplicates). 2 seasons ago I had no less than 15 does hanging around one stand set. Then last year that same stand had less than half that on the regular, and now I’m down to to three there.

At our farm it was nothing to go and see 20 or mores does per sit at one of our stands just a few years ago, obviously not ideal, but this year that same stand had 2 coming around. 2!

I camped out on a different stand on the property most of the time I was there and saw no more than 4 total.

Before the 16 day season shooting was light and the deer were relaxed, but now it sounds like war every Friday - Sunday during the season, so you can’t tell me the does aren’t getting their teeth kicked in. Theres a ton of < 40 acre tracts around us and I know those are the places hurting them the worst. That is NOT sustainable.

Last edited by Etxbuckman; 11-29-2021 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:51 AM   #1119
∆theling
Pope & Young

I hunt bottom land. Does everywhere begining of archery and some bucks. Mid October corn piled up when the acorns got knocked down by high winds. Since then feeder has been a miss. It is still green everywhere in my bottom land. Wild oats and clovers everywhere. Ive watched the few deer that have come to the feeder sniff at the corn and go right back to eating natural browse. Im positive the deer are around, they just have an extended food source this year and dont need to venture far from their beds to forage.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:09 AM   #1120
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Our numbers are way down to. Probably half we hunt a big place with high deer density. The only thing we can come up with is the freeze
At first I thought it was another food source other than acorns but I'm starting to think that it not that.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:02 AM   #1121
Allpublic
Four Point

I hunt 3 different counties around me and as far as sightings go, i have seen about the same number of deer as the last couple of years. Difference being, that i have seen way more bucks this year than does. It seems that the deer numbers are good everywhere i hunt, as i see deer on nearly every sit, but in the last several years i haven't seen the large groups of does that i used to. Im not so sure thats a bad thing though, because the does used to out number the bucks 10-1. I believe the population has been balancing out, but agree that does are down this year, at least where i hunt. But every year is a little different, maybe the freeze had something to do with this year, overall the hunting has been good though. I dont believe we need to change the doe limits. Majority of the people i know dont even shoot does, and those that do shoot does only shoot 1 or 2 a year. I personally havent shot more than 1 doe a year for the last several years, but i shoot 2 to 3 bucks every year. As i said most people i know hunt this way, and if that is true than there are way more bucks killed every year than does. I am betting next year does are back up from this year and the herds will be pretty balanced.

Last edited by Allpublic; 11-29-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Allpublic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #1122
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Polk/San Jacinto

I would say if anything our numbers are trending up. We had a dip for several years that we thought could have been from multiple surrounding leases going MLD but it could have been the drought as well. I thought our fawn numbers seemed to be down a little from cameras but after spending time in the stand I think they are just really healthy and further along than normal. They are hitting feeders and hand corn hard and have pretty much all season, still a lot of forage in the thickets too as we haven’t had a good frost so far.

Last edited by AgHntr10; 11-29-2021 at 09:15 AM.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:13 AM   #1123
Anvilheadtexas
Associate Sponsor

The alternative food source for lack of deer movement seems like a plausible reason for not seeing deer in the fall, but if one observes a piece of land with good habitat all year long without seeing many deer, then one would not lean that way for reasoning. Personally, I have a mixed hardwood section that borders a 5 year old replanted long leaf pine plantation (part of a 30,000 acre pasture). If you saw this in person you would conclude the pine plantation deer pile into my hardwoods (if you bought into “they are all in the acorns”). But, I can assure you, there are not stacks of deer in my hardwoods eating acorns.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:32 AM   #1124
Anvilheadtexas
Associate Sponsor

Came back into say… up or down and good or bad, I am grateful that I have the opportunity to go out and hunt in the East Tx Piney Woods. Sometimes I lose sight in the big picture.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #1125
Pineywoodkiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch, Gregg, Upshur, Rusk, and Liberty county

We are in rusk county and are seeing the opposite. We have never had this many deer ever. Everyone will see anywhere from 5-15 just about every sit. And this is from 7 different blinds. Havenít seen any real mature bucks yet but lots of 2 year old 8 and 9 points

Pineywoodkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #1126
Anvilheadtexas
Associate Sponsor

^ The does all moved north and the bucks stayed south? In all seriousness, seems like reports from the East Tx counties further north are not reporting declining numbers.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:07 AM   #1127
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
^ The does all moved north and the bucks stayed south? In all seriousness, seems like reports from the East Tx counties further north are not reporting declining numbers.
I don't know about that. LOL One of the counties I spoke of is Anderson, and it's as bad or worse than our place in Trinity.

I've thought about the alternate food sources hypothesis too. I mean there's been so much timber cutting everywhere, and with all the rain and no freeze yet, there's still a ton of green browse to be had. I thought maybe acorns after the winds in October, but I never did see hulls or shells on the ground indicating there were any to begin with.

I will say too that in years past at the lease we'd always remarked how there seemed to be a lack of fawns see or on camera, but that was not the case this year. We've never seen so many fawns as we did this spring and summer, but they're all just gone.

I sure hope things improve next season. If it continues on it's current path things are going to get really bad for deer hunting.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #1128
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allpublic View Post
I hunt 3 different counties around me and as far as sightings go, i have seen about the same number of deer as the last couple of years. Difference being, that i have seen way more bucks this year than does. It seems that the deer numbers are good everywhere i hunt, as i see deer on nearly every sit, but in the last several years i haven't seen the large groups of does that i used to. Im not so sure thats a bad thing though, because the does used to out number the bucks 10-1. I believe the population has been balancing out, but agree that does are down this year, at least where i hunt. But every year is a little different, maybe the freeze had something to do with this year, overall the hunting has been good though. I dont believe we need to change the doe limits. Majority of the people i know dont even shoot does, and those that do shoot does only shoot 1 or 2 a year. I personally havent shot more than 1 doe a year for the last several years, but i shoot 2 to 3 bucks every year. As i said most people i know hunt this way, and if that is true than there are way more bucks killed every year than does. I am betting next year does are back up from this year and the herds will be pretty balanced.
this is exactly what I have experienced. Also most in my club will say we have no deer and that they are not seeing deer. However, They are ALL hunting over a corn feeder where as I have no corn feeder where I hunt and I am seeing tons of deer. I have seen a huge increase in 6 month to 1.5 year old bucks this year. Way more than normal.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 11:44 AM   #1129
NewBallCoach
Six Point

I think the freeze hurt and they aren't having to hit the feeders. So far this year I have hunted Anderson County, Van Zandt County, and Cass county. I shot a doe in Van Zandt, and a spike in Cass at my FIL. In Van Zandt we have 2 groups of 5 doe that come around everyday but only 1 mature buck left from last season, and there are 3 young bucks on camera at night. In Anderson county there is a group of 4 doe on the small acreage we hunt and 3 young bucks and ZERO mature bucks when there were several left after the season last year. And Cass county I only hunted once but saw 5 doe, 1 spike and a nice 8 in one sit.

I say all that to say I think the mature bucks got hit the hardest by the freeze, I had my eye on several after last season but haven't seen them once on camera this season. Our doe populations are about the same as they have been, and the number of young bucks is about the same as I am used to seeing, but as far as Mature deer, those numbers seem down. Also I only have one camera on a feeder, it's on a protein feeder in Van Zandt county and that's where all the doe are at everyday there, all the bucks have been on food plots or trails.
NewBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #1130
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I know one thing I don't have a shortage of is crows. My god I've never seen anything like it. Alfred Hitchcock would be jealous. LOL
Old 11-29-2021, 12:08 PM   #1131
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
I know one thing I don't have a shortage of is crows. My god I've never seen anything like it. Alfred Hitchcock would be jealous. LOL

This. The squirrel hunting at my place is gonna be superb come Feb also.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:52 PM   #1132
Anvilheadtexas
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
An electric owl in distress call, a few buddies and several boxes of shells could remedy that situation. If you have never done it, I promise you itís fun.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:00 PM   #1133
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
An electric owl in distress call, a few buddies and several boxes of shells could remedy that situation. If you have never done it, I promise you it’s fun.
I wanna see what happens a when ballistic tip smashes one of them squawking ****ers in the head.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:28 PM   #1134
Tshelly
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker, Montgomery, Trinity, & Lee

If you havenít been following my live thread my good friend and lease mate killed the big deer I have spent all year on. We both had a ton of hours in on him. New 40 acre place that we picked up in July and put a bunch of work in to. Iím about to spread out and do some killing now. Bucks are definitely getting hungry. This guy was a ghost til last week. 158Ē trinity co

Tshelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #1135
luna-tuna
Eight Point

Congrats to your buddy. What a great buck !!!
luna-tuna is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 03:53 PM   #1136
EastTx
Ten Point

Giant!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
EastTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #1137
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.
Default 2021-22 east texas season

Congrats to your buddy Tony!

Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #1138
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Yeah thats an awesome deer.
Old 11-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #1139
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoodkiller View Post
We are in rusk county and are seeing the opposite. We have never had this many deer ever. Everyone will see anywhere from 5-15 just about every sit. And this is from 7 different blinds. Havenít seen any real mature bucks yet but lots of 2 year old 8 and 9 points

Well I found out where are deer are

Old 11-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #1140
bollomb
Ten Point

Hunt In: Trinity County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshelly View Post

If you havenít been following my live thread my good friend and lease mate killed the big deer I have spent all year on. We both had a ton of hours in on him. New 40 acre place that we picked up in July and put a bunch of work in to. Iím about to spread out and do some killing now. Bucks are definitely getting hungry. This guy was a ghost til last week. 158Ē trinity co

Congrats to your buddy, dang good buck
bollomb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 05:17 PM   #1141
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Dang T....now I know why you sat in the rain. Been a little further south within good service for a few days

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 07:24 PM   #1142
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
I’m here to tell you in the three counties I hunt the numbers are WAY down.

My lease is MLDP and we’ve never got more than 12 doe permits. The last 4 seasons we’ve gotten 9, but I don’t think we’ve ever used them all. Even at just 9. So blaming MLDP is out of the question.

Our farm is not MLDP, but I know full well the blame lies on the 16 day doe season we’ve had for the last 4 seasons. Ever since they instituted that the numbers have plummeted steadily.

If anyone know who to contact at TPWD about petitioning to revert it back, I would love to know.
Since you are MLDP, what are your numbers saying year over year in the reporting?

Seeing a lot of does at every sit does not always equate to a healthy population.

Last edited by Greenheadless; 11-29-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #1143
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
this is exactly what I have experienced. Also most in my club will say we have no deer and that they are not seeing deer. However, They are ALL hunting over a corn feeder where as I have no corn feeder where I hunt and I am seeing tons of deer. I have seen a huge increase in 6 month to 1.5 year old bucks this year. Way more than normal.
You mean, you have to hunt the deer? . I am seeing the exact same thing, little interest in the corn slingers and the clear cut edges are covered up.

If you have hogs consistently hitting up your feeder, that will also negatively affect seeing deer.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #1144
U.S.ArmyRetired
Ten Point

Hunt In: East TX-Harrison County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
You mean, you have to hunt the deer? . I am seeing the exact same thing, little interest in the corn slingers and the clear cut edges are covered up.

If you have hogs consistently hitting up your feeder, that will also negatively affect seeing deer.
Are you hunting hand corn or rice bran or anything?
U.S.ArmyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2021, 10:02 AM   #1145
Greenheadless
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
Are you hunting hand corn or rice bran or anything?
Travel corridors and known openings that have been scouted from a distance right now.

I am putting hand corn down and some are eating it. Some are just taking a nibble or two and then moving on to natural browse as well.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #1146
Rwc
Pope & Young

Did my annual family Thanksgiving week hunt last week. Brother and cousins mostly hunted our family lands while I hunted the national forest. I must say I saw more deer this year than I have ever seen during this hunt. I had opportunities at 3 legal bucks and was brow beat pretty hard for not shooting one of them…ha ha I think I ended up seeing 12 does and 5 bucks.
Brother and cousin killed a couple legal deer so all was good. We ended the trip by killing ducks out of a cypress slew located in the upper Patroon Bay area almost directly in front of my new lake lot.

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2021, 11:09 AM   #1147
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Bucks are traveling now in my area. Yesterday morning a 3 1/2 year old 8 was chasing and I’ve never seen him before yesterday. This morning a 6 1/2 year old 8 shooter that I haven’t seen since last season showed briefly and took all the girls with him. Fog saved his life as it took to long to identify who he was. Glad to see some that didn’t freeze after all from last year.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #1148
RJK70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas and Western States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo Man View Post
Bucks are traveling now in my area. Yesterday morning a 3 1/2 year old 8 was chasing and Iíve never seen him before yesterday. This morning a 6 1/2 year old 8 shooter that I havenít seen since last season showed briefly and took all the girls with him. Fog saved his life as it took to long to identify who he was. Glad to see some that didnít freeze after all from last year.
My activity went way down for a week after my wife shot the nice 10 point. But things picked back up yesterday with a few decent bucks coming through. One of them is a no doubt management buck. Big body, wide, 7 point.
RJK70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #1149
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenheadless View Post
Travel corridors and known openings that have been scouted from a distance right now.

I am putting hand corn down and some are eating it. Some are just taking a nibble or two and then moving on to natural browse as well.
I'm not just camped out on feeders either. And part of my section of the lease has select-cut back in the spring, so I've got a nice area of about 40 acres like that to hunt. The problem is the **** timber company piled logs and limbs and all their trash crap in every lane were they cut. I've never seen such a mess. And forget about trying to traverse it, let alone do so quietly (and safely, especially in the dark). I do have a stand and feeder in there that were already in place before they cut though.

I've got another spot, a 1+/- acre clearing I found in the timber that I planted a really nice food plot in, and the only thing coming to it are the same few deer hitting a feeder about 300 yards to the south. LOL

I've got a stand on a pipeline that serves as a major crossing, and another ladder stand on a fencerow where deer cross and walk down, plus one other stand and feeder in the middle of a pine thicket next to an SMZ. And I've got cameras everywhere. They're just not there.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #1150
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

If anyone that's concerned about deer numbers cares to be proactive, here is a link to TPWD's website for their biologists by county. I suggest sending them an email and letting them know, otherwise if no one does anything they'll just leave it status quo until there aren't any deer left:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/county/