X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
    Not so fast.

(Trying to do this off of memory)

Other benefits of an LTC are carrying on the campus of colleges in most areas as long as it is concealed and… carrying on a premise where a sign which prohibits weapons such as a private business.

College campuses by law passed about six or eight years ago, must allow carrying a concealed handgun if a person has an LTC (I think the law came out when it was still a CHL). A college can restrict certain areas but most areas must allow carrying concealed weapons on a college campus IF The person has an LTC. So if you have an LTC you can basically go on a college campus if you carry concealed and if you do not have any LTC, it becomes a class A misdemeanor or up to a year in the county jail.

Also, if there is a sign (30.05… it used to be 30.06 and 30.07 signs but that changed with permitless carry) that prohibits entry with a weapon, it is a class A misdemeanor to enter UNLESS The person has an LTC. If a person has an LTC and enters by going past a sign prohibiting entry with a weapon, it is only a class C misdemeanor with a $200 fine maximum. So if an unlicensed person carries a handgun on a premises with a 30.05 sign, it could be up to a year in jail and up to a $4000 fine. If a person carries with a handgun passed the same sign, it is a maximum $200 fine and no jail time can be assessed unless the person was discovered and given a warning to leave and the LTC owner refused to leave.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice but the way I remember this law, if you have an LTC and carry concealed where no one should notice anyway, you can carry past a 30.05 sign and if discovered, can only face a $200 fine unless for example a store owner catches you and tells you to leave and you say no. Of course the same law applies if open carried but that becomes kind of obvious.

Maybe I will take the time to look this up later but, I believe the benefits of an LTC are currently….

1. No background check for purchasing a firearm at an FFL
    2. The ability to lawfully carry on a college campus if a handgun is concealed (except in limited areas as defined by school rules).
    3. Carrying concealed in approximately 25 other states where the Texas LTC is excepted.
    4. A $200 maximum fine only for ignoring a do not enter with a weapon sign as opposed to up to a $4000 fine up to a year in jail without an LTC.
    5. It appears from comments by some people that police officers Tampa show more discretion on traffic charges with people with an LTC.

In my opinion …

#4 is a big one! Good to know!

Comment

I did my renewal form on the 11th and got my new permit on the 22th.

Comment

Yep, easiest renewal I ever did. Got my card in about two weeks and with my senior discount, the best $25.00 I ever spent.

Comment

Are the courses and process the same yo obtain the LTC as it was for the CHL? I can't remember the hours of class, the "range time" finger printing etc. That was 10-15 yrs ago. Just curious if those who obtain a LTC go through the same process.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
            Are the courses and process the same yo obtain the LTC as it was for the CHL? I can't remember the hours of class, the "range time" finger printing etc. That was 10-15 yrs ago. Just curious if those who obtain a LTC go through the same process.
            It is the same program but retitled from CHL to LTC. Over the years they have extremely limited the actual classroom time and the fees. I think the license fee went originally for $240 and now down to $40. If I remember correctly the original classroom was at least 12 hours and up to 18 hours, maybe at the discretion of the instructor. I think after the last reduction the state has it down to four hours.

Under the original CHL you had to go to a refresher class each renewal (I think) but now the refresher class is waived after your first renewal. That might even be gone but I thought you had to go to one refresher class and then as long as you kept renewing, that was it.

But to your question, it is the same process and the same program for the original license with the obvious updates for being able to carry open. It has just become a lot more friendly on hours and cost.

Comment

… and if you are an honorable discharged veteran, it is $25 original and $25 renewal.

I think it is still a five-year license so if you are a vet, for $5 a year you can get the benefits of an LTC.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                It is the same program but retitled from CHL to LTC. Over the years they have extremely limited the actual classroom time and the fees. I think the license fee went originally for $240 and now down to $40. If I remember correctly the original classroom was at least 12 hours and up to 18 hours, maybe at the discretion of the instructor. I think after the last reduction the state has it down to four hours.

Under the original CHL you had to go to a refresher class each renewal (I think) but now the refresher class is waived after your first renewal. That might even be gone but I thought you had to go to one refresher class and then as long as you kept renewing, that was it.

But to your question, it is the same process and the same program for the original license with the obvious updates for being able to carry open. It has just become a lot more friendly on hours and cost.
                Thanks. I remember my instructor was great. I believe we spent a Saturday and Sunday with him. He had a range on-site.

Comment

Tag

Comment

Before I start a new thread I'll just try and ask my question here.

My CHL expired a while ago and I never renewed it. As far as I can tell since its been over a year since my renewal I have to take the course again to get my CHL or LTC permit now.

With the Texas Permitless Carry bill, is the LTC permit required if I want to conceal and carry into a business that does not clearly prohibit firearms on the premises?

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                      Before I start a new thread I'll just try and ask my question here.

My CHL expired a while ago and I never renewed it. As far as I can tell since its been over a year since my renewal I have to take the course again to get my CHL or LTC permit now.

With the Texas Permitless Carry bill, is the LTC permit required if I want to conceal and carry into a business that does not clearly prohibit firearms on the premises?
                      You can legally carry into a business or in the public with no license as long as there isn’t a sign prohibiting it at a business or if it isn’t listed in prohibited places.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                        You got some bad info. It's legal to open and conceal carry with or without an LTC in Texas. (there are exceptions to certain places yes)

The only reasons to get an LTC are to avoid a background check when buying a gun and to reciprocity with other states.

Also, I think it helps to get out of tickets.
                        Not the only reason.

Businesses may choose to post 30.05 signs which would not allow you to carry inside without a license. So being licensed is still an advantage outside of the reasons you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Bish View Post
                          Yes Sir, very easy now, been doing it the last 3 renewals.

God Bless
                          Bish
                          Not to derail... I for some odd reason thought Dusty Britches was a female.

Comment

3. Carrying concealed in approximately 25 other states where the Texas LTC is excepted.

Terry, I think you meant "accepted."

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                              Not to derail... I for some odd reason thought Dusty Britches was a female.
                              Yup...and still is!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                                Just did mine a couple months ago. Your new card gonna look different.
                                Yep, definitely a different looking card. And short wait to get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X