Fletching carbon arrows with Duco Cement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fletching carbon arrows with Duco Cement

Recently been using Duco on wood shafts with lacquer finish. Works great. I've tried it with carbon shafts and every feather has come loose. They may last one shot or thirty but without fail they turn loose. Normally on impact.
    I prepped the same I would for Fletchtite Platinum. What did I do wrong?

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Not sure what you did wrong but I would try you regular run of the mill super glue. That's what I use and never have that issue on carbon.

Comment

For carbon shafts, I use Loctite super glue gel. Works well.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Comment

Fletchtite works perfectly. I just thought I'd try the Duco. Did one arrow all four feathers, on town of four and one with it as it was the tube I'd used last and it was the last one I did so . . .
        Not a big deal just wonder if I needed a different prep.
        Super glue has too short of a work time for this application for me.

Comment

Gary, you might consider fletching tape if the super glue is too quick.

I have never used Duco in my life. I like super glue a lot.

Comment

I do use tape as well. Don't really like it but in cases like this, putting one feather on here and there, it usually gets the call.
            Unfortunately my short fat fingers are suffering from nerve sensory loss. So that tape is tough to work with. That said it is some sticky stuff.
            It's hard to break a 30+ year good relationship with Fletchtite though.

Comment

It's different I know. I went to CCR the other day. Looking for a bow square. Tech apologies and says they don't carry them, have to buy on line. Most people expect everything done at the shop.
              I have to have more serving than most because I have an old T square not one of the newer one that have both clips off to one side of the straight edge. When you check BH it's off about 1/16th inch. But I've known that for thirty years so it works for me. Just older and know what works for me. But Doco and woods are new to me and thought I'd try it on carbon.

In other words I'm not in need suggestions for an adhesive. Just wondering if there was an unknown reason for that adhesive (Duco) not working.

Comment

I had issues when I prepped with 70% alcohol. With 90% (may be 95%), no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                  I had issues when I prepped with 70% alcohol. With 90% (may be 95%), no issues.
                  Yeah I used 90%. I was told by someone on a text it's not a working combination.
                  So now I know.

Comment

if your cleaning with alcohol be sure it is denatured! isopropyl alcohol leaves a residue that will case glue not to stick frequently

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Fletchtite works perfectly. I just thought I'd try the Duco. Did one arrow all four feathers, on town of four and one with it as it was the tube I'd used last and it was the last one I did so . . .
                      Not a big deal just wonder if I needed a different prep.
                      Super glue has too short of a work time for this application for me.

I have been having trouble with Duco fletching wood. I quit using it altogether. As far as carbon goes I use Loktite Ultra gel. You can get a 2 pack at dollar Tree for $1.25.

Comment

Any idiot knows you can’t use Duco on carbons. Well, almost any idiot anyway!!!!!!
                        [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          Any idiot knows you can’t use Duco on carbons. Well, almost any idiot anyway!!!!!!
                          [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Well that idiot does now . . .

Comment

I bought a tube of Duco and found that the tip was way too big to use for fletching. I never got any arrows fletched with it so it got used for other things.

Comment

Tip is big. Glue is runny. I don't build many wood arrows so figured if it worked why not use it up.
                              Didn't work. Oh well.

Comment

Working...
                              X