wild hog on the smoker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wild hog on the smoker...

OK, broke down a month ago and picked up a pit barrel smoker-LOVE IT!! Been doing ribs, chicken and did a pork butt last weekend that turned out GREAT! Got me to thinking though-been shooting wild hogs for 20 years and for 20 years I have tried to like the meat and just can't, unless it's ground into sausage. So I'd like to try once more, but is wild hog fat enough to slow smoke and not dry out? If so what is your favorite recipe?

I killed literally 100's 30 or so years age running dogs and we smoked enough of them to learn that there is good roasts for sale at the grocer. If you insist smoke with a probe to 145 then rest for 10 minutes. Use the fattest piece you can get and trim excess exterior fat off. I like a sweet rub on all my pork.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
      I killed literally 100's 30 or so years age running dogs and we smoked enough of them to learn that there is good roasts for sale at the grocer. If you insist smoke with a probe to 145 then rest for 10 minutes. Use the fattest piece you can get and trim excess exterior fat off. I like a sweet rub on all my pork.

I hear ya...just leave them lay

Comment

I would tend to agree that you are likely better off to just buy pork for smoking. Wild hogs just don’t have the marbling in the muscle like domestic hogs. However ,it may be worth a try if you can get a younger sow that’s in good shape. Definitely not worth trying with any boar in my opinion.

Comment

I wouldn't eat wild pork cooked to 145 personally. Small pigs are delicious on the smoker. Bigger pigs get ground around here. What doesn't get made into sausage is great for taco meat or made into meat sauce for pasta. And wild hog makes the best chile without a doubt

Comment

Big barr ate delicious.

Comment

We eat wild hog quite a bit and it tastes better to us than store bought pork. Once you get used to wild pork, farm raised pork tastes funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                We eat wild hog quite a bit and it tastes better to us than store bought pork. Once you get used to wild pork, farm raised pork tastes funny.
                This.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                  This.
                  X3. I do not smoke mine for long though. We make our own rub, mopping sauce and vinegar based sauce. I make big mesquite wood fire, sear meat really good and then put it to the side in the pit off direct heat for an hour or two then it is wrapped and in oven low and slow finally finishing it to rest in an old cooler for at least an hour to make pulled pork or chunk meat for my kind of BBQ. Store bought pork is funky to me.

Comment

I will smoke wild hogs (sows only) low and slow for about 3 hours or so and then pull off the bone and place in slow cooker with seasoning, oil, and an acid base braise until tender.

Comment

Originally posted by Slabby View Post
                      I wouldn't eat wild pork cooked to 145 personally. Small pigs are delicious on the smoker. Bigger pigs get ground around here. What doesn't get made into sausage is great for taco meat or made into meat sauce for pasta. And wild hog makes the best chile without a doubt
                      145 doesn't apply to wild hog.

Comment

Working...
                      X