Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trinity

Comment

we had 2 nesting pair a few years ago that TPWD tracked. Couple years went by and we had a single hen that was a regular at one stand. Its been 2 or 3 years since we've seen her
      Last edited by Quackerbox; 04-11-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

How hard is it to get TPWD see if it is possible for a stocking program in your area?

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
          How hard is it to get TPWD see if it is possible for a stocking program in your area?
          The hard part is getting all the landowners on board, as you find a lot who either don't want to do the habitat work to increase the odds of passing TPWD evaluations, or you have some who just think there's a catch and they'll be obligated to enroll in some government program, which isn't the case.

There are also others who don't want to thin or they're too afraid to burn on their places not realizing fire will make it better, and actually reduce the chances of wildfire due to less fuel from too much underbrush. It will also create best turkey and deer fawning habitat. TPWD isn't about to bring in nearly 100 birds and pay $525 per bird if no one is willing to make improvements.

If you can get at least 10,000 contiguous acres worth of landowners on board, or you own 10,000 acres yourself that you're willing to create turkey habitat on, TPWD will come out to do a GIS evaluation then an on the ground evaluate to look at the area. If it looks good and you pass you'll get birds the following winter/spring after evaluations.
          Last edited by GraceNmercy; 04-11-2018, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceNmercy View Post
            The hard part is getting all the landowners on board, as you find a lot who either don't want to do the habitat work to increase the odds of passing TPWD evaluations, or you have some who just think there's a catch and they'll be obligated to enroll in some government program, which isn't the case.

There are also others who don't want to thin or they're too afraid to burn on their places not realizing fire will make it better, and actually reduce the chances of wildfire due to less fuel from too much underbrush. It will also create best turkey and deer fawning habitat. TPWD isn't about to bring in nearly 100 birds and pay $525 per bird if no one is willing to make improvements.

If you can get at least 10,000 contiguous acres worth of landowners on board, or you own 10,000 acres yourself that you're willing to create turkey habitat on, TPWD will come out to do a GIS evaluation then an on the ground evaluate to look at the area. If it looks good and you pass you'll get birds the following winter/spring after evaluations.
            I wish I had the acreage back home in limestone county. Saw quite a few birds in that county growing up but its been awhile. A friend of mine has them regularly of camera in the steele creek bottom......

Comment

Saturday my youngest son and I called in these two near Lometa, Texas even though the conditions were terrible, 25 mph N winds and 36 degrees with drizzle. But, it was really fun, they were very vocal!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SnJGuin View Post
                  Man, I wish I had turkeys on my lease up in Marshall.
                  I saw 4 of them right on the side of highway 80 about 10miles outside of Marshall headed to Hallsville over the spring.

Comment

I saw a couple outside of Lone Star on 259 several years back. A guy that works next to our old lease saw some while I was in school. We never saw them.

The guy we lease from now has killed one. I’m pretty sure I heard one the other day. We’re in cass county.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Great pics!! I've killed many, many turkeys over the years and had so many out west on our place, they were sometimes a pest, but I've never actually seen a turkey in East Texas!! Heard 'em once a long time ago, but never laid eyes on 'em...

Would love to see some on my place, but never heard of any around the north end of Liberty County...
                      I saw a few near Moss Hill on Az Creek hunting club years ago.

Comment

We seen tracks a few years ago but not any recently. Good to know you saw some

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X