No announcement yet.

2018 Coyote Kill Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

96 dead coyotes is what I count so far. I went back and looked for the one I hit and couldn't find it and my brother texted me and told me he wants to go call some coyotes in when he comes home for Thanksgiving so I just went and scouted some areas to call after that. I ended up seeing 7 coyotes today. Only shot at that one.

I was sitting next to a hay bale and the weeds were pretty tall all around me. Seeing how it's deer season I was all dressed in my blaze orange but I knew that wouldn't matter. That coyote snuck in without me seeing it and I must've moved and I seen it take off. I was sitting level with the coyote so I didn't have a head shot on it. Which is normally my go to shot with a shotgun. My first reaction was to shoot so I did and immediately jumped up. The coyote changed direction and I shot just as the front half of the coyote disappeared behind a wall of brush. I heard the pellets raking through the weeds. I never saw that son of a gun again. Whether my last shot hit it I don't know. I doubt it but maybe. Instead of being so quick to shoot as the coyote was heading away I should have jumped up to get a better vantage point so I could possibly hit it in the back of the head but that was an after thought. That could have played out a lot better than it did. I was just a little too quick on the trigger. Should have had that one killed right then and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckfu View Post
      I have never really hunted coyotes.

Looking for advice on y’alls setups.

I have a pulsar thermal and foxpro inferno.

Curious on how far to sit from the call. Would a pasture be better or sendero.

How long do you stay in the location and what calls are best?

Would you hunt over a carcass as bait?
      I've been using an open reed Crit R' Call but I have a FoxPro Inferno also. I don't sit that far away from the call if I'm using an electronic call. 30 yards at the most. I'd say either the pasture or sandero will both hold coyotes so that'd be a toss up for me. I stay on stand for a minimum of 15 minutes. Normally 25 minutes if I'm in a good area. Lightning jack,snowshoe hare or pretty much any distress sound will work good.

As for hunting over bait I've never tried it. You could bait them and shoot them off of it but if you're trying to get them to come in to the sound of a meal I wouldn't bait them and call in that area. I've never had good luck around dead piles and things like that. They're always full so they don't pay the call much attention.

Comment

Any recommendations on getting one mounted?

I started a thread before seeing this but killed one with my bow. I don’t think it’s a huge coyote but nonetheless a first for me.

Thoughts on full body mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My daughter killed her 1st one this weekend

Comment

Put us down for 3

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
              Any recommendations on getting one mounted?

I started a thread before seeing this but killed one with my bow. I don’t think it’s a huge coyote but nonetheless a first for me.

Thoughts on full body mount?

Well done with the bow. I got my first archery yote last month. My buddy got a full body mount several years ago with it going after a flying grouse with its mouth open to show off the teeth. It is pretty cool.

Shot another one last week.

Comment

Shot this small female in Robertson County on Saturday morning. Pretty sure this is the second one I have ever killed.
                Attached Files

Comment

Add another!

Comment

2018 Coyote Kill Thread.

This weekend the 224 Valkyrie did the job. Shot 3, found 2. Hard for me to want to track in cactus and mesquite. Also got a cat.

Comment

Killed a big Dog the other day. Probably the prettiest coyote I have ever killed. Thought about skinning him, until I saw the exit wound my 300 made in his opposite shoulder.

Comment

Killed one yesterday evening. Nice little female

Comment

Killed this one in Throck on Sunday afternoon. Biggest one I’ve killed, fat sucker

Comment

I just smoked one with the 22-250.

Comment

My first thermal victim

Comment

111 coyotes I think is what we're up to now unless I can't count...which is possible.

Either way it's been a pretty tough week for the coyotes from the looks of it. It's gonna get tougher for 'em this weekend if everything goes right.

Comment

Working...
                                X