Are there any map readers out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any map readers out there?

I've been doing some couch scouting and I'm curious about something. Wondering if anybody out there has more skill than I do in reading a map and anticipating the way a deer might relate to a particular terrain feature.

In this picture, I've circled the area I'm curious about. If you were looking at this map, what would you be interpreting? Would you notice the points? The fairly steep ledges? All input is welcome.

I have seen this sort of feature a lot. My gut tells me that the deer would use it for bedding as well as a travel corridor in the rut. I just don't know how specifically they will relate to it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Looks like a steep drop off to the river vega area with the creak potentially being a way down to the river. Hard to tell from the pic but I would check to see if deer walk along the river up to the “pins” you have marked. I would think that those features would creat some travel corridors and funnel points down there. I would definitely be scouting it for a stand or two down there.

That’s a very nice looking property. Good luck hunting it this up coming season. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Comment

The creek would be a travel corridor from the river, and the wooded points would be staging and escape routes I would think. The thick woods to the left of your circle would be bedding. Cameras would be your best friend here. Set some in points’ trails back to creek. Then set some from creek back to the river. Note time and travel direction and it will tell you how deer are using it. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see giants on camera. Hunt those most active trails and something should show itself eventually. In east Texas I see big bucks travel parallel and down wind to heavily traveled trails. They are cautious when it comes to daylight and wide open fields.

Comment

By reading your map, I assume it’s public ?
        Due to marking out which river.
        If you send me an unmarked copy, I can dissect and describe your area for you.
        Will prob need to go in person to really interpret properly though.
        HMU !

Comment

I would think that it would be doe and yearling heavy in there. Come rut, bucks will work it. You will probably find rubs in those points fairly soon from the young bucks in the area. I am sure that the more mature deer will be using the creek bottom and fingers for cover when wind checking those fields. Good luck, looks like a great area.

Comment

Thanks guys. My area of focus is the flat spot at the end of the southern most point where the woods begin to broaden. I'd anticipate that as a good corridor as well as a staging area that should have plenty of sign in it because of the amount of time deer would be spending in that secluded place. If a buck travels the river to get from one major bedding to another to check for does, his path of least resistance would be right out in front of that point and right next to the river.

Comment

I would put a stand at the pinchpoint where the main river, creek and steep ridge meet. Basically right below the R in River in the pic above.
              This reminds me of a place I used to hunt when I lived in Montana. I found the landowner directly across the River and got permission to put a canoe in. I could sneak in the back door across the river and had a pinch point stand just like above. Killed several very nice deer there.

Comment

Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                I would put a stand at the pinchpoint where the main river, creek and steep ridge meet. Basically right below the R in River in the pic above.
                That is right in the area that I'm looking. I'm going to be accessing from the River.

Comment

Working...
                X