Property Tax Mobile Home on Lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property Tax Mobile Home on Lease?

I have been paying property tax in Frio County on a mobile home on my hunting lease for the last 10 years. I was just told by a friend, that since I don't own the land, that I should not be paying county property tax.
    Anyone know what the IRS law?
    I have moved the mobile home once during this 10 year period, but it has always been in Frio county.

Thanks

I thought if it was kept mobile you didn't but??? Heck I have not slept in a Holiday Inn in years either.

Comment

Each county will vary. I pay taxes on a mobile home also every year. If the wheels are off it you will get taxed. I’m not sure if the appraisal bill comes to you or the landowner but whoever it is can protest it and most likely get the tax rate lowered
      Last edited by AntlerCollector; 01-28-2022, 02:43 PM.

Comment

So you get a bill from the county with a tax on your mobile home or you got a copy of land owners tax bill and are told to pay this amount?

Comment

IRS has nothing to do with it. It is the County Appraisal District and they will tax any building no matter where it is. If it is on property you don't own either you will pay or the land owner will pay. Mobile homes do depreciate at a much faster rate than homes do, so you should certainly challenge the CAD on the value it is assigning to hopefully reduce the tax obligation on it.

Comment

Sounds like it's yours, and not the landowners. So I would say it's your burden.

For reference......My nephew owns, & pays property taxes on a trailer house that is on land he doesn't own.

Comment

Not only does McMullen County tax me on mobile home but they tax my covered deck in front of it as well. I also have a cover I built over a travel trailer and they tax me for that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                So you get a bill from the county with a tax on your mobile home or you got a copy of land owners tax bill and are told to pay this amount?
                That is what I am wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                  That is what I am wondering.
                  I get a bill directly from the County

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                    I get a bill directly from the County
                    I guess the land owner told them who owned it. Only way they could figure who to bill.

Comment

Mobile home records are recorded and monitored through the state county will bill the owner of the mobile home for taxes assessed.

It’s your responsibility not the landowners to pay them

Comment

I think the land-owner has filed an exemption for the space you put your camper on the property. That will make you responsible for the tax.

Comment

Same concept as if your mobile home was in a mobile home park. You don’t own land, you lease it.

How much tax is there on a 10+ year old mobile home. I’m sure you can get the value to $25000 or less with a little effort.

Comment

I had a new mobile home delivered to a lease I had in kent County. I talked with the county about it and explained I didn't live there it was just a more comfortable alternative to an rv. They created a "911" address for the gate behind which the trailer was kept and never taxed me for it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
                              I had a new mobile home delivered to a lease I had in kent County. I talked with the county about it and explained I didn't live there it was just a more comfortable alternative to an rv. They created a "911" address for the gate behind which the trailer was kept and never taxed me for it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

You got lucky

Comment

Working...
                              X