Rubbed Trees!!! Ugh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubbed Trees!!! Ugh!

This is why we can’t have nice things! Been talkin trees a lot with people. Always tell folks who plant to watch for deer… they will walk past 1,000 native trees for straight looking nicely planted trees. This one is a real kick in the pants. On the bright side, we shot a nice one not far from the scene of the crime in November… although this kinda looks fresh to me. Anyways, watch your planted trees even in east Tx where these deer seem to be ghosts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	330CC66D-84F6-4BE6-85E4-F77282F3500A.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	25270957

He wore this one down good!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
      He wore this one down good!
      Right! I am curious to see how this tree recovers. It might be iffy. My experience on these bigger live oaks is that they heal, but this one is fairly severe. On younger live oaks they would “die back” and regrow from the healthy root…. And usually with good speed.

Comment

Yep. I have to put welded wire around mine. They’ll walk past hundreds of mesquite, hackberry’s, and cedars, just to rub one my oak or pine..

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
          Yep. I have to put welded wire around mine. They’ll walk past hundreds of mesquite, hackberry’s, and cedars, just to rub one my oak or pine..
          It’s crazy. I thought I was past this sorry on these trees…. Fairly big. Should have known better…. Have been done like this before. For whatever reason they love planted trees. Call it revenge?

Comment

It will make it.

Heck, just embrace it and plant a tree in each shooting lane

Comment

I had two Magnolias, one on either end of the property, they were 6-7 years old and doing really well. In two consecutive years bucks hit them.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
                It will make it.

Heck, just embrace it and plant a tree in each shooting lane
                Like I said… we gave one of the tree wreckers the barrel in November… but I think this is just a few weeks old. Good news… We still have one deer on the place!

Comment

That’s why you cage your planted trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    That’s why you cage your planted trees.
                    I had these caged for three years had to remove the cages to trim things up and got lazy and forgot to put them back. Appreciate giving me that words of wisdom.

Comment

I love planting trees on my place. Every one of them has a cage around it. Just part of living in the hill country. You are right that they seek out the planted trees over the native trees. I planted some south Texas Retama just to give the bucks something to tear up.

Comment

I should know better… I grow these things. However, at some time the cages have to come off and well I guess I took them off too early. I have found that if a tree gets thrashed like this…. It could possibly die back but they always seem to come back very strong.

Comment

Came back in to say…. I plant alot. My place is in East Texas so it’s not like every tree gets rubbed if I do not cage. It would be impossible to cage every tree that I have ever planted

I could imagine in the hill country it’s a 100% guarantee rubbed tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                            I had these caged for three years had to remove the cages to trim things up and got lazy and forgot to put them back. Appreciate giving me that words of wisdom.
                            No problem and…..no charge

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                              I should know better… I grow these things. However, at some time the cages have to come off and well I guess I took them off too early. I have found that if a tree gets thrashed like this…. It could possibly die back but they always seem to come back very strong.
                              I had a friend who planted three peach trees in his front yard. One of them was close to his driveway and got “straddled” by cars several times always being rubbed by the undercarriage. That tree was the first one to bear fruit. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X