Duval County Rut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duval County Rut

This is the first hunting season since we got our new place in north Duval County. We are just south of the McMullen County line.

I've been hunting almost every weekend since the gun opener and have been running cameras since summer. We hunted several days around Thanksgiving and saw several bucks, passing on all of them. We had a lot of different bucks on camera as well. A few of the older bucks had thick necks at the time.

Our camera bucks have been gone for the past 2 or three weeks. Basically, since Thanksgiving. We haven't seen them on cam or while hunting.

I just wrapped up six days straight of hunting down there. Bucks are now few and far between. Lots of does and fawns and a couple young spikes are hitting corn. I saw a few young bucks walk past feeders, basically spot checking them for does and moving on without eating.

My assumption was that the rut would kick in mid-December or at Christmas. I've hunted in LaSalle County near Cotulla and Los Angeles over the years and have seen some crazy rutting action in those locations--again, around Christmas and New Years.

I've heard that the bucks aren't showing up because they are busy with does in the brush. Great concept but the does are showing up big time on the corn. Without bucks.

Which leads me to believe that the rut in my area is winding down? Interested in hearing from north Duval or south McMullen hunters for their perspective on rut timing in the area. Thanks in advance.

Duval County Rut

We’re kinda on the opposite side of you close to the Duval/ Jim Wells area. We were there all last week and not much interest between the bucks and does. Locals here say it’s usually a late rut like from Christmas to New Years. The warm weather didn’t help us either last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobinHood; 12-23-2021, 07:30 PM.

Comment

We are Jim wells/brooks line and it’s in full swing

Comment

They were fighting and running does like crazy on our lease in Duval County when I was there sun-wed. I saw two full on brawls between 4-5 year old bucks. I also saw tons of chasing going on. Pretty much in the center of Duval County. I saw far more mature bucks than I had been seeing.

Comment

When we used to hunt down south for many years, numerous years, the rut would not start till the last weekend of December, or the week after the last weekend in December. For many of those years, there was not a north and south zone for deer. So the season would usually end the last weekend of December or first weekend of January. So we would miss most of the rut. That's the reason TPW came up with the north and south zones and then have the south zone close two weeks later.

Just wait, keep hunting, it will happen.

Comment

I would pray for cold weather and keep rattling
            It’s time for them to get busy and start traveling.
            Good luck

BP

Comment

Man it’s on for us on McMullen on 624 watched a fight this am

Comment

I usually hunt a couple to few weeks in December just burning unused PTO.

I see more bucks in january.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ours has been going pretty good the last week and half in Hebbronville.

Comment

Working...
                  X