Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we getting ripped off, just a little???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we getting ripped off, just a little???

Saw a news report the other night where stores with a meat market or butcher are cutting the meats in smaller cuts but still charging the same price as when they were in bigger cuts or like a package of wings, they would leave one or two out from what they normally would package.
    So this got me to wondering when I was filling up my feeders to get ready for some hog hunting.
    You see, the feeders I built have always held 300lbs. That’s 6 bags per feeder.
    So I bought a pallet of corn today. 40, 50lb bags!!
    As I started off, I was able to get 7 bags in the first feeder. Never been able to do that before. I was able to get 5 feeders filled up before dark and able to get 7 bags in each one. It’s always been 6 bags and that would be full to the top.
    Anybody else notice something like this?
    Makes me wonder if they are only putting in 45lbs instead of 50.
    Attached Files

Weigh a bag

Comment

Shrinkflation is real.

Price stays the same but volume is smaller.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve always been able to get more bags than the feeder said it’d hold but usually like holds 700 instead of 650.. I’d say get a regular scale and put a bag on it.. I can see them downing the advertised weight but wouldn’t think they’d lie about how much weight was in the bag, I think 7.5% either way is fair on average

Comment

Check the weight on some bags! Feed is monitored and checked by Texas Weights and Measures or something like that with the AG Dept. I know if they check them in stores on the shelf and they don't measure the weight stated on the tag there are consequences, fines and stop sale etc....

Comment

Portion control for the piggies
            Sounds like you might be on to something though

Comment

I have never noticed it with corn, but definitely had cottonseed vary by density.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                Shrinkflation is real.

Price stays the same but volume is smaller.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                Yes, that’s what they called it. Just couldn’t remember.
                Gonna try and weigh some bags in the morning. I just know that in the past, 6 bags filled up each feeder with very little room left. Not enough for a 7th bag, even a 40lb bag.

Comment

The kernels of corn are smaller in your new bags. That's why you can one extra bag now.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                    The kernels of corn are smaller in your new bags. That's why you can one extra bag now.
                    That actually would make a difference but I doubt a whole extra bag of difference.

Comment

Weigh a bag and if it’s off dramatically start making phone calls. Industry I am in, if it’s over the marked weight, it’s okay but we are losing money. If it’s under the marked weight, we can’t ship it out.

Comment

I'm gonna go look up the pea gravel thread. I have an idea [emoji362]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

It’s been that way for quite a few years now.
                          My feeder that use to hold 6 50# bags now holds 7.

Comment

I have a road feeder on my 4 wheeler. when we buy corn at one place a 50 lb bag fills it right to the top. when we buy at other places, i cannot fit a 50 lb bag in it.....go figure

Comment

If I suspected I was getting ripped off like that I would be investigating. Weigh a few bags and you will know real quick

If you bought a pallet with 40 bags at 80% you paid for 2000# and got 1600#

NO way I would let that go

And I would go straight to the folks that regulate and let them work it out.

Curious for what you find out and if it was fraud post up who's name was on the bags

Comment

Working...
                              X