Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #51
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

One thing that you can count on, there will be a whole bunch of guides moving into Galveston and Sabine from further south hammering the upper coast fish. For every action, there is an unintended consequence.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #52
ram04
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods, Val verde/Edwards line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I know this is a very conspiracy theorist take, but hear me out.

If they would have made the slot 14Ē-19Ē and 3 fish a lot more fish would be caught and kept. my theory on this is the smaller fish make up more of the population making them easier to catch. A limit is 3 fish with a slot of 17-23 makes it much more difficult for a angler to fill their limits in return having even less fish kept.

I donít think Iím that far off on this line of thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, you give the majority of the population time to grow a few extra season before hitting the ice chest, which literally means keeping less for the next couple years. No conspiracy.
ram04 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 08:29 AM   #53
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Quote:

If they would have made the slot 14Ē-19Ē and 3 fish a lot more fish would be caught and kept. my theory on this is the smaller fish make up more of the population making them easier to catch. A limit is 3 fish with a slot of 17-23 makes it much more difficult for a angler to fill their limits in return having even less fish kept.

Wouldn't doubt it one bit!
DUKFVR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 08:30 AM   #54
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
One thing that you can count on, there will be a whole bunch of guides moving into Galveston and Sabine from further south hammering the upper coast fish. For every action, there is an unintended consequence.
And when they get to Galveston and Sabine they will find out the population is down here too lol. You can catch pencils all day but who wants that?
Old 01-28-2022, 08:31 AM   #55
ram04
Ten Point

They are basically making the 13" rule like in east Texas but for trout.
Old 01-28-2022, 08:31 AM   #56
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram04 View Post
Yes, you give the majority of the population time to grow a few extra season before hitting the ice chest, which literally means keeping less for the next couple years. No conspiracy.

The majority of 17-23Ē fish are females. Thatís what makes no sense to me. The fact of the matter is they really donít want you to keep any fish.

The red fish are really about to take it on the chin.

For the record i am ok with the limit decrease, I just think their slot of choice isnít smart.

Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 08:37 AM   #57
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

Quote:

I don't think your far off either. It will make it more difficult for folks to keep them and I'm sure they thought that through also. Pressure shifted south a couple years back when Galveston was full of fresh water, this will surely move it north.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 08:39 AM   #58
El General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo View Post
Yes and no....sexual maturity just means an animal can start reproducing, doesnít mean the mass does, the food/protein conversion of females is exponentially higher, therefore the females outgrow this length(12-15) very quickly, therefore not targeted. Itís simple , larger female equals more eggs
One large female produces more eggs than one small female. The spawning biomass of females 12-15Ē is much, much greater than that of 17Ē-23Ē fish.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 08:49 AM   #59
npe001
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madisonville, Tx

Should have done the whole coast
npe001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #60
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by npe001 View Post
Should have done the whole coast
Why?
Old 01-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #61
FVR JR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

Quote:
Why?
Fished Galveston lately? It's in just as bad if not worse shape than Matagorda on south. Many many more fishermen too.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 09:06 AM   #62
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
The majority of 17-23” fish are females. That’s what makes no sense to me. The fact of the matter is they really don’t want you to keep any fish.

For the record i am ok with the limit decrease, I just think their slot of choice isn’t smart.

The way I think about it is like deer hunting, you make the 13" rule so you literally force people to shoot the mature deer. In doing so, you decrease the amount smaller deer shot which decreases the amount of deer shot period. This increases the amount of deer that make it to 13" which creates more mature deer in the heard. If you increase the size trout and reduce the limit it means it gives the population a break in the coming years allowing more fish to reach a larger size.

And yes, this should be state wide.

Last edited by ram04; 01-28-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #63
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
Fished Galveston lately? It's in just as bad if not worse shape than Matagorda on south. Many many more fishermen too.
I fish it a lot, and we had a good 2021. There was virtually no fish kill from the freeze, and that's verified by the TP&W surveys.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:23 AM   #64
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
I fish it a lot, and we had a good 2021. There was virtually no fish kill from the freeze, and that's verified by the TP&W surveys.
Our fishery is more to do with flooding since Harvey and fresh water inflows during the past few springs. We fish a lot too and the only part of Galveston that i hear is doing ok (and OK is pushing it)is West Galveston Bay which I don't frequent. East Bay and Trinity Bay as well as Sabine has been terrible. There is small pods of fish scattered around you can catch (those fish are mostly babies) and have a few good days but its no where near normal.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:49 AM   #65
Jackal
Four Point

Quote:
17-23 inches....kill the females
Would be better to keep 12-15 inch trout, mostly males
TPW at its best
Same thing they have done with the flounder regs.
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 09:49 AM   #66
Tiburon1
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmannsvilleGUY View Post
I just hope that if the implement something like that then they need to take a hard look at not having it last forever. TP&W is known for taking away limits and never giving them back.

I read somewhere that the TP&W team that takes the survey from you at the boat ramps said something like on average there is just over 1 trout caught per boat that is caught on average. I need to find the article I read on this data and post it. It does make me wonder why there are limits at all.

It will be hard to pay a guide $650 plus tip, or even hook up the boat to the truck and make a trip for three trout from 17 to 23 inches.

I do feel like the floods from the hurricanes and over oystering is not helping the habitat.
It's a sunset provision that ends in August of 2023 and reverts back to the original size and bag limit. Which was a happy medium as there is large portion of the population of Texas fisherman who would have opted to eliminate keeping any trout for the next one to two years. The committee that TPW goes to for suggestions sent a report indicating bag limits be reduced to two fish and the slot be 16-20. This was the concession.
Tiburon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #67
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

I'm sure glad that TX and LA have a reciprocal agreement with fishing licenses for us GOF's! Otherwise, there'd be no need for me to buy that stupid "super-combo" because the fishin' part of it as far as I'm concerned is useless as tits on a boar hog. I love to fish, and there was a long period in my life where I fished 150+ days a year, mostly in saltwater and mostly wading. I like trout (and reds) and I like to EAT TROUT. Now I go maybe 2-3 times a year... this year only went once and took my grandsons out with Capt. Glenn... we had a blast. It's just not fun anymore to me when the most important piece of gear in the boat is a **** ruler!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #68
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Our fishery is more to do with flooding since Harvey and fresh water inflows during the past few springs. We fish a lot too and the only part of Galveston that i hear is doing ok (and OK is pushing it)is West Galveston Bay which I don't frequent. East Bay and Trinity Bay as well as Sabine has been terrible. There is small pods of fish scattered around you can catch (those fish are mostly babies) and have a few good days but its no where near normal.
Hey @snowflakekiller ^^^ remember that conversation
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 11:59 AM   #69
Txfire409
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards County, anywhere drawn hunts take me

Well thankfully I live near Sabine and can keep la limits when launching from that side.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 12:10 PM   #70
220swift
Ten Point

Hunt In: South, East, and Central Texas

It is what it is.

I'm a guy that gets to fish at the coast 1 or maybe 2 times a year and I love to eat trout.

It's not really worth for me anymore, especially to hire a guide.
220swift is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 12:46 PM   #71
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swift View Post
It is what it is.

I'm a guy that gets to fish at the coast 1 or maybe 2 times a year and I love to eat trout.

It's not really worth for me anymore, especially to hire a guide.
Many of those who are pushing this think of people who eat fish as low lifes.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:59 PM   #72
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Is it a good thing or a bad thing? Who knows.. Time will tell but 5 or 10 trout limits will never be back if I'm a betting man. It's a small brush stroke in the big picture concerning TPWD.. What should concern evryone as outdoorsman in this state is that TPWD is being slowly taken over by the left wing thinkers.. The future could be ugly..
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 01:06 PM   #73
RaginCagin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Well is south west Louisiana wasn't already over fished it certainly will be now.
RaginCagin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 01:24 PM   #74
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Quote:
Many of those who are pushing this think of people who eat fish as low lifes.
Sad, but true
Elitist agenda........same people who donít eat wild game
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #75
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Quote:
Sad, but true
Elitist agenda........same people who donít eat wild game
They just want bragging pictures on their book of faces.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:42 PM   #76
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
Well is south west Louisiana wasn't already over fished it certainly will be now.
yep
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #77
jds247
Ten Point

Hunt In: Voca, Jasper county, newton county and sabine county

Quote:
I fish sabine 2 or 3 days a week and have no problems finding trout . Infact in starting in March I can fill the coolers from the bank ..The trout move in and and out with the salt water. Just gotta know what you are doing..
Personally I don't care how many trout you can keep . I don't eat those wormy fish.. what goes on on the rest of the coast has little to do with sabine. We have a lot more Marsh and plenty of deep spots for fish to get away from a freeze..
jds247 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 02:07 PM   #78
ram04
Ten Point

[quote=jds247;16068303]I fish sabine 2 or 3 days a week and have no problems finding trout . Infact in starting in March I can fill the coolers from the bank ..The trout move in and and out with the salt water. Just gotta know what you are doing..
Personally I don't care how many trout you can keep . I don't eat those wormy fish.. what goes on on the rest of the coast has little to do with sabine. We have a lot more Marsh and plenty of deep spots for fish to get away from a freeze..[/

What size trout are you catching and in how many different places or totally different areas of Sabine?

Last edited by ram04; 01-28-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:16 PM   #79
HankTheTank
Four Point

Quote:
That info is about as accurate as a Bidenís speech......and about as accurate as the CDC
TPW used info from Georgia to push their move on Flounder regs, go figure
What are you basing your opinion on? Seriously, please provide accurate info that supports your position.
HankTheTank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 02:29 PM   #80
jds247
Ten Point

[quote=ram04;16068324]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
I fish sabine 2 or 3 days a week and have no problems finding trout . Infact in starting in March I can fill the coolers from the bank ..The trout move in and and out with the salt water. Just gotta know what you are doing..
Personally I don't care how many trout you can keep . I don't eat those wormy fish.. what goes on on the rest of the coast has little to do with sabine. We have a lot more Marsh and plenty of deep spots for fish to get away from a freeze..[/

What size trout are you catching and in how many different places or totally different areas of Sabine?
In the spring there's 5 or 6 places I fish.. largest last spring was 28.5. I usually flounder fish so I don't spend a ton of time on trout. The only time I trout fish is if my kids want to go catch fish. Flounder fishing is not fast pace enough for them.. This time of year you can catch em over mud on the north end when it warms up in the evening.. late summer south end is where you want to fish. Especially if the water is fresh.. and if you really want to catch fish in the summer fish the docks at night..

Last edited by jds247; 01-28-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:38 PM   #81
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishted View Post
There are no big deer in east Texas or fish in Calcasieu.
There ain't no big trout in Calcasieu anymore dats for sure
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #82
ram04
Ten Point

JDS247, Yeah I fish everything your talking about and have been for years but the places your talking about are not near what they should be. The north end usually has fish all the way across it, when it was good 70# stingers happened and 40 fish days with most over 4#’s were common. Now you can catch em, but there is only small pods of fish full of pencils. A couple weeks ago on the north end there was one spot or two spots with a school of fish. I’m sure your talking about north levee in March, of course there is some fish there but that wall use to have fish all the way down it. All summer you could only catch trout south of the causeway, like I said since the floods our population has been decimated. Salty springs will give us a boost, but right now it’s nowhere near what is should be.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:47 PM   #83
jds247
Ten Point

Quote:
JDS247, Yeah I fish everything your talking about and have been for years but the places your talking about are not near what they should be. The north end usually has fish all the way across it, when it was good 70# stingers happened and 40 fish days with most over 4#’s were common. Now you can catch em, but there is only small pods of fish full of pencils. A couple weeks ago on the north end there was one spot or two spots with a school of fish. I’m sure your talking about north levee in March, of course there is some fish there but that wall use to have fish all the way down it. All summer you could only catch trout south of the causeway, like I said since the floods our population has been decimated. Salty springs will give us a boost, but right now it’s nowhere near what is should be.
The silt from the ship channel and hurricanes killed all the oyster in sabine. If tpwd wanted to do some good they would replant the oysters . The south reef use to be one of the best places during the summer.same with Light house cove Now it's nothing but gravel. The numbers are down but the fish aren't dead. They just move off shore. Instead of taking away limits TPWD should invest in habitat restoration.
Reducing the number of redfish would go a long way. They are the hogs of the saltwater vacuuming up everything in their path.. Reduce the slot to 16 inches and up the number you can keep. I'll eat 16 to 18 inch reds but any bigger they aren't worth keeping imo.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:54 PM   #84
ram04
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds247 View Post
The silt from the ship channel and hurricanes killed all the oyster in sabine. If tpwd wanted to do some good they would replant the oysters . The south reef use to be one of the best places during the summer.same with Light house cove Now it's nothing but gravel. The numbers are down but the fish aren't dead. They just move off shore. Instead of taking away limits TPWD should invest in habitat restoration.
Reducing the number of redfish would go a long way. They are the hogs of the saltwater vacuuming up everything in their path.. Reduce the slot to 16 inches and up the number you can keep. I'll eat 16 to 18 inch reds but any bigger they aren't worth keeping imo.
Very true on the reds and the south oyster, but lowering the trout is what is needed now. The beach was full of trout from Louisiana to Galveston this summer, those fish didnít pull in which hurt us. I donít want just trout I want what it use to be, if it means keeping less trout them Iíll keep less trout. Plenty of flounder and redfish to eat. I do think bringing in new oysters like they did in Galveston would be awesome.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #85
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTank View Post
What are you basing your opinion on? Seriously, please provide accurate info that supports your position.
If I had to guess it would be living on the water day in and day out.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #86
El General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
I seriously doubt that.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 04:10 PM   #87
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Bunch of guys go out and can't catch fish so claim we need to lower limits.

If you really want trout populations to come back then outlaw bait croaker. Not because it makes it easier for guys to catch fish but because we're depleting a direct food source for the fish we're complaining about having low numbers.

Quote:
I hope so, they compete for food sources and there's too **** many of them.

Dolphins are overpopulated too, they eat more trout than I do that's for sure.

Some of this is trolling.

Last edited by justletmein; 01-28-2022 at 04:17 PM.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 04:15 PM   #88
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post

If you really want trout populations to come back then outlaw bait croaker. Not because it makes it easier for guys to catch fish but because we're depleting a direct food source for the fish we're complaining about having low numbers.

It may be "Trolling" but what you say is pretty dang factual!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #89
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
It may be "Trolling" but what you say is pretty dang factual!
The best trolling always has a little truth embedded.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 04:31 PM   #90
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Brown View Post
I have no prob with that. TPWD Actually did something that makes sense
My SCI Chapter signed off on the TOP'S letter supporting the move two weeks ago. The freeze of last year was a big factor for our board members. I also was concerned about giving something up and potentially not getting it back but honestly we have enough conspiracy stuff at this point.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #91
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

I'm going to beat a dead horse and say they should focus more on them jetty folk.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2022, 09:29 PM   #92
stickbow
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad

you guys that dont live on the coast and didnt see the carnage down here from being on the water all the time are just ****** you cant make a meat haul. grow up and let the resource recover. We had the best **** trout fishery in the country before the freeze and it has not rebounded yet even though we are making progress. there is no conspiracy on the laguna. it affects the guides wallets here and we are on the water more than anyone and most of us are supportive. be patient and go eat catfish or whatever. now let it rain...
stickbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2022, 03:10 AM   #93
3rdCoastHunter
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbow View Post
be patient and go eat catfish or whatever.
Or largemouth bassÖ
3rdCoastHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2022, 06:15 AM   #94
Leemo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fowlerton

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankTheTank View Post
Opinion........hmmmmmm
I have a indirect/direct relationship with TP&W

Last edited by Leemo; 01-29-2022 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Sp
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2022, 06:26 AM   #95
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

I love these debates ,and really nobody is wrong .Mother nature has always corrected things and always will. From what i saw in Port Isabel a month ago it seems to be coming back great. Lots of small trout and tons of bait. In about 2 years yall will be smashing them again.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #96
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
There ain't no big trout in Calcasieu anymore dats for sure
Man, Calcasieu is some fishy water, but I danged sure ainít eating anything out of that system. Some of the nastiest water from the casinos on down into the bay.
Sackett is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2022, 09:11 AM   #97
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:

You ain't wrong
Quote:
you guys that dont live on the coast and didnt see the carnage down here from being on the water all the time are just ****** you cant make a meat haul. grow up and let the resource recover. We had the best **** trout fishery in the country before the freeze and it has not rebounded yet even though we are making progress. there is no conspiracy on the laguna. it affects the guides wallets here and we are on the water more than anyone and most of us are supportive. be patient and go eat catfish or whatever. now let it rain...
So only those who live a real Salt Life know what they're talking about and the rest are weekend limit warriors?

No one that drives 2 hours to fish is capable of letting more fish go than they string?

How bout those coastal dwellers who soak meat, fill the bottom of the boat with fish then let them go after a pic or two and think they all swim off happy?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Quackerbox; 01-29-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:59 AM   #98
osochuck
Four Point

Default tp@wd new trout law

Quote:

DolphinsÖman thatís a love hate relationship there, fun to watch our distant cousins etcÖlol

They eat a ton of fish and thereís sooo many if them. And they sure arenít nice and cuddly! When your wade fishing or in your yak

osochuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #99
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
You ain't wrongSo only those who live a real Salt Life know what they're talking about and the rest are weekend limit warriors?

No one that drives 2 hours to fish is capable of letting more fish go than they string?

How bout those coastal dwellers who soak meat, fill the bottom of the boat with fish then let them go after a pic or two and think they all swim off happy?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Lol

Keep over their limit haul them to the boat throw em in the bottom take a pic of social media then toss em back and say ah their good!
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2022, 04:37 PM   #100
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Quote:
The laguna took a big hit no doubt and last year was one of the worst for us trout fishing. Did catch some big ones but numbers aren't there.
You can say what you want about the guides and I know a ton of them down there. They are still catching limits and running multiple trips a day. How do you think multiple guides running 2-3- trips a day hauling out limits every time effects the resources? Definitely not good for it.
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top