No announcement yet.

plant explosion in Westlake, LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It blowed the soot out of it from the looks of those pics above ^^^.

Hope the injuries aren't too severe.

Comment

Why is this happening so regularly?? I’m not in the industry so I don’t know how those plants work.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        That’s a lot of fire for an empty tank
        Empty tanks can sometimes be the worst with lots of residue and vapors.

Comment

Prayers for the injured and for no fatalities

Comment

Terrible! I used to work in that plant as a contractor and would frequent the EDC unit. That is some bad stuff!

Comment

Prayers for all involved and the community

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat70 View Post
                Prayers for all involved and the community
                X2

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                  Why is this happening so regularly?? I’m not in the industry so I don’t know how those plants work.
                  I've been in this industry since 1988.. These plants(no matter the company)are getting older and there is entirely to much "acceptable risk" these days.. This acceptable risk can have catastrophic consequences at times. The can gets kicked down the road year after year.. Maintenance on equipment, mainly piping and vessels, is dollar driven instead of safety driven.. The bottom line is all about the profits and bonuses..

Comment

Company I work for had a EDC tank blow up . It was being taking out of service. EDC goes boom very easy. I work with it almost every day at work .

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      I've been in this industry since 1988.. These plants(no matter the company)are getting older and there is entirely to much "acceptable risk" these days.. This acceptable risk can have catastrophic consequences at times. The can gets kicked down the road year after year.. Maintenance on equipment, mainly piping and vessels, is dollar driven instead of safety driven.. The bottom line is all about the profits and bonuses..
                      This is just absolutely not true with the vast majority of big oil producers/refiners/Chem plants.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                        This is just absolutely not true with the vast majority of big oil producers/refiners/Chem plants.
                        Sure it is.. But we realize the risk when we accept the job.. What do you do for a living?

Click and open file.

And don't forget to study up on what caused the Deep Water Horizon catastrophe..

I can give as many as you want..
                        Last edited by PondPopper; 01-26-2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Let’s don’t paint with that broad of a brush. As we both know, several factors involved in that incident.

Incident rates have been on a steady decline in the petro industry over the 2-3 decades. There are stats out there you can fact check with…AFPM, IOGP, ACC, etc. Each of those publish industry stats on an annual basis. Are these places safe havens where absolutely no one is going to get hurt…no, but they’re much safer than some of the other industries out there.

From your article:

‘ 1.5 Key Technical Findings
                          1. The ISOM startup procedure required that the level control valve on the raffinate splitter tower be used to send liquid from the tower to storage. However, this valve was closed by an operator and the tower was filled for over three hours without any liquid being removed. This led to flooding of the tower and high pressure, which activated relief valves that discharged flammable liquid to the blowdown system.’
                          Last edited by slayr; 01-26-2022, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
                            Let’s don’t paint with that broad of a brush. As we both know, several factors involved in that incident.

Incident rates have been on a steady decline in the petro industry over the 2-3 decades. There are stats out there you can fact check with…AFPM, IOGP, ACC, etc. Each of those publish industry stats on an annual basis. Are these places safe havens where absolutely no one is going to get hurt…no, but they’re much safer than some of the other industries out there.
                            What do you do for a living?

Start on page 210 (Item 12)..
                            Last edited by PondPopper; 01-26-2022, 03:18 PM.

Comment

What do you do for a living?

Start on page 210 (Item 12)..
                              I work in Oil and Gas.

Comment

Bingo. This plant was the same one that had the release during Laura.

Comment

Working...
                                X