No announcement yet.

Elk Hunters, are tags to cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't we change the rules to give the Elk a fighting chance. Walk in access only. Archery only. Etc.. then there would be more animals and less hunters..

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
      You could help that problem by quit hunting or do you mean other people?
      Overall for Elk. Too many hunters for a finite resource. I think NM has a decent system with tag allocation and results.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
        Why don’t you get on a multi state system where you will draw a tag every year? It will take you three to four years to get there and then focus on one state every year after that. Pricing a tag to unaffordable rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I also do not chase elk in the mountains every year but I do put in for mule deer draw every year. Seems to me from what you are writing is that you have enough money for them to raise the tag price five times what it is now to create a scenario that benefits you and if so that is great but why don’t you just buy private landowner tags (unguided) and hunt elk that way?

Agreed, I'm sure the people who can afford a $10,000 tag would pay it, if that meant getting the best tag & the best odds at a trophy

Comment

There is no logical solution. Everybody has an idea, but with human consumption being what it is, the system will plow forward until all of the resources are eliminated. And then folks will wonder what we could have done better or different.

The only reason every cow on the planet hasnt been taken out is because a long time ago someone realized that to prevent that, breeding replacements was necessary. It seems that might be a good idea now for elk if we want to have them in huntable numbers for the next 100 years

And i dont even care to hunt elk

Comment

It's a tough topic that I've had in my mind a long time. I generally lean that tags should be more expensive to reduce pressure, forming a higher quality hunt. Basically let the market fix.
            I'm also not a fan of the youtubers killing more animals than they or their extended family could eat in several years.

All in all there should be a balance between a unrealistic draw and $10k landowner tag.

- Get rid of points everywhere, NM style
            - Nonrefundable draws, yea it may cost you a bit but your odds are way better. Prevents applications going in to 10 different states.
            - Higher tag costs
            - Rest periods for the successful

Comment

Been playing the game out west a long time, heck my family has been doing itsince before I was ever even a thought in my dads head, and before he was even a thought in my grandpas. This sounds a lot like the MR rant. Tags in CO are more expensive than they ever have been but yet they sell more of them than they ever have. Elk hunting is the fad right now. It is the "in" thing to do. Growing up I didn't know anyone besides my family who ate elk on a regular basis or had ever even been elk hunting. Now, since its the thing to do, I know a lot of people that do. Next it will be MD or Pronghorn, or Black Bear, etc. It all goes in cycles, in the 90's it was caribou. I haven't hunted elk in 4 or 5 years since it started getting popular, still have and build my points but just not in a hurry to cash them in.

I make several trips out west each year for different species. I can tell you right now that I'd be livid if they raised tag prices to what you are thinking. It would completely cut me out to one trip a year. I have spent a lot of time, money, and hard work to be able to get tags, all draw, so that I can hunt multiple states and species a year. I mean if you're all about limiting other hunters from trying to get tags you can always just sit out a year or pay that 1500-3000k, nobody is stopping you.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
                Why don’t you get on a multi state system where you will draw a tag every year? It will take you three to four years to get there and then focus on one state every year after that. Pricing a tag to unaffordable rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I also do not chase elk in the mountains every year but I do put in for mule deer draw every year. Seems to me from what you are writing is that you have enough money for them to raise the tag price five times what it is now to create a scenario that benefits you and if so that is great but why don’t you just buy private landowner tags (unguided) and hunt elk that way?
                I do that already, still build in MT, WY, UT, and AZ and apply (next year will be 15 years) unsuccesfully in NM. I get a guaranteed resident elk tag for $36. I saw the writing on the wall and had the opportunity to move to an elk state, and I took it. I didn't move to Idaho to follow a job or woman we chose here. If I was still living in Texas I would be screwed. The only elk hunt you can depend on this year are ultra low success rate ones. The rotating state strategy works now but won't for long if something isn't done.

The elk tag situation has changed drastically in the past ten years. Hunter #'s have not ballooned in that time, elk tag #s haven't had a drop off either. Demand is up, it is way past time to raise the price.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  Been playing the game out west a long time, heck my family has been doing itsince before I was ever even a thought in my dads head, and before he was even a thought in my grandpas. This sounds a lot like the MR rant. Tags in CO are more expensive than they ever have been but yet they sell more of them than they ever have. Elk hunting is the fad right now. It is the "in" thing to do. Growing up I didn't know anyone besides my family who ate elk on a regular basis or had ever even been elk hunting. Now, since its the thing to do, I know a lot of people that do. Next it will be MD or Pronghorn, or Black Bear, etc. It all goes in cycles, in the 90's it was caribou. I haven't hunted elk in 4 or 5 years since it started getting popular, still have and build my points but just not in a hurry to cash them in.

I make several trips out west each year for different species. I can tell you right now that I'd be livid if they raised tag prices to what you are thinking. It would completely cut me out to one trip a year. I have spent a lot of time, money, and hard work to be able to get tags, all draw, so that I can hunt multiple states and species a year. I mean if you're all about limiting other hunters from trying to get tags you can always just sit out a year or pay that 1500-3000k, nobody is stopping you.

People were LIVID when Idaho raised the prices last year $250 bucks. Rants on social media everywhere. This year is the fastest elk tags have ever sold out....

As I said, elk are not an cheap 'opportunity' hunt. I agree with you that it is the 'in' thing right now. Sanity needs to restored to the market.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                    It's a tough topic that I've had in my mind a long time. I generally lean that tags should be more expensive to reduce pressure, forming a higher quality hunt. Basically let the market fix.
                    I'm also not a fan of the youtubers killing more animals than they or their extended family could eat in several years.

All in all there should be a balance between a unrealistic draw and $10k landowner tag.

- Get rid of points everywhere, NM style
                    - Nonrefundable draws, yea it may cost you a bit but your odds are way better. Prevents applications going in to 10 different states.
                    - Higher tag costs
                    - Rest periods for the successful
                    Agreed.

Comment

So your wanting the tags to increase in price so you have a better shot at getting one? Your basically saying let’s squeeze out the little guy out so you can feed my personal thirst for killing an elk. That’s freaking sad to even say out loud but I’m not surprised with some people’s greed. We’re screwed

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                        People were LIVID when Idaho raised the prices last year $250 bucks. Rants on social media everywhere. This year is the fastest elk tags have ever sold out....

As I said, elk are not an cheap 'opportunity' hunt. I agree with you that it is the 'in' thing right now. Sanity needs to restored to the market.
                        So- what if all hunting forums were shut down or only opened to people that had a very large bank account, would that help your situation er I mean overpressure?

Comment

I’m barely rich enough to afford a torch and pitchfork, but I’ve got them both ready after reading this.

Comment

Nahh they aren’t too cheap. We are just getting to the point where it’s the cool thing to do. Mix that with the lower barrier to entry based on technology and mapping applications, we have far more people hunting out west than tags available.

I like how New Mexico has a true lottery on their tags. I think bonus/preference points have created this monster in most states. A true lottery takes away the need to raise prices. $30 bonus points in Colorado and Wyoming sure don’t help the issue

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              I’m barely rich enough to afford a torch and pitchfork, but I’ve got them both ready after reading this.
                              At least you READ the post. lol

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                              Nahh they aren’t too cheap. We are just getting to the point where it’s the cool thing to do. Mix that with the lower barrier to entry based on technology and mapping applications, we have far more people hunting out west than tags available.

I like how New Mexico has a true lottery on their tags. I think bonus/preference points have created this monster in most states. A true lottery takes away the need to raise prices. $30 bonus points in Colorado and Wyoming sure don’t help the issue
                              I agree with you on the bonus/preference points and that would be a step in the right direction.

I also agree with you on some of the causes. Truth is we don't have drastically more hunters, or drastically fewer tags than 10 years ago. Something has to be done.

Comment

NO. $1000 for ONE tag is insanity. I do think resident prices should go up. Look how cheap they hunt in Texas. Then they hate us and charge is way more for one **** tag.

Comment

Working...
                                X