Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
    that's a big pot of gumbo ducks
    Haha they all taste the same in the tamales! I was thinking he messed up that perfect Hollywood limit with a gadwall.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
      Haha they all taste the same in the tamales! I was thinking he messed up that perfect Hollywood limit with a gadwall.

That’s a smile for a mile pic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
        That bluebill on there will add some flavor too!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Just got the info for the banded goose. She was hatched in 2004 & banded on the Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge in 2005. Bird had seen some sights. Feel bad for killing an old warrior like her.
          That is Awesome congrats. Seems like all I ever see with band reports are like two or 3 yr old birds and thats it. Dont think I have seen one make it that long .

Comment

Awesome info on the band FVR. Definitely a trophy bird. Congrats

Just got back from my annual panhandle bird trip last night. Spent the first few days on my college roommate's dairy farm outside Hartley, TX pheasant hunting. This hunt is more of a college buddy reunion disguised as a pheasant hunt, than an actual hardcore hunt, but they've got plenty of land to play on. He told me he'd seen some ducks on a small playa and to go check it out one morning. Ended up killing a limit of mallards off that playa but really didn't see that many birds for it being this time of year. This hot weather sucks.

Tried hunting pheasants one day but the dust storm and winds gusting 50+ shut that down for the day. Next day was much better weather-wise but the birds were few and far between. Been going up there for 14 years and numbers weren't like we've seen in the past (on good years). We flushed about twice as many hens as roosters. Good times with good people but slower hunt overall. Things look good for the future though.

After a few days there headed down to Lubbock to meet up with a different group of guys to crane hunt. Monday morning was our best morning with a 9 man limit of cranes.

Tuesday we tried to goose hunt and got our teeth kicked in as the birds never really left the roost. To top that off, one of the farm workers started plowing the field that morning and eventually ended up right at the edge of our spread. I shot a random crane that floated in but that was it.

Yesterday went after cranes again but it was another tough windy day with a comedy of errors. 6 of us in the blind. One guy's gun wasn't working and another kept getting hung up in the tumbleweeds when it was time to shoot. They weren't much help. Had several groups of cranes turn and think about starting to work in but it was clear they didn't feel like fighting the wind after a few seconds of trying. They would try to come back but would just cock their wings and ride the wind the other way. Didn't see many and didn't have many come in. Ended with 8 cranes total for the hunt.

Slower trip overall from a bird count perspective but great food, drinks, and people. Caught up with lots of old friends and made some new ones. I look forward to this trip every year. Can't beat it

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
              Awesome info on the band FVR. Definitely a trophy bird. Congrats

Just got back from my annual panhandle bird trip last night. Spent the first few days on my college roommate's dairy farm outside Hartley, TX pheasant hunting. This hunt is more of a college buddy reunion disguised as a pheasant hunt, than an actual hardcore hunt, but they've got plenty of land to play on. He told me he'd seen some ducks on a small playa and to go check it out one morning. Ended up killing a limit of mallards off that playa but really didn't see that many birds for it being this time of year. This hot weather sucks.

Tried hunting pheasants one day but the dust storm and winds gusting 50+ shut that down for the day. Next day was much better weather-wise but the birds were few and far between. Been going up there for 14 years and numbers weren't like we've seen in the past (on good years). We flushed about twice as many hens as roosters. Good times with good people but slower hunt overall. Things look good for the future though.

After a few days there headed down to Lubbock to meet up with a different group of guys to crane hunt. Monday morning was our best morning with a 9 man limit of cranes.

Tuesday we tried to goose hunt and got our teeth kicked in as the birds never really left the roost. To top that off, one of the farm workers started plowing the field that morning and eventually ended up right at the edge of our spread. I shot a random crane that floated in but that was it.

Yesterday went after cranes again but it was another tough windy day with a comedy of errors. 6 of us in the blind. One guy's gun wasn't working and another kept getting hung up in the tumbleweeds when it was time to shoot. They weren't much help. Had several groups of cranes turn and think about starting to work in but it was clear they didn't feel like fighting the wind after a few seconds of trying. They would try to come back but would just cock their wings and ride the wind the other way. Didn't see many and didn't have many come in. Ended with 8 cranes total for the hunt.

Slower trip overall from a bird count perspective but great food, drinks, and people. Caught up with lots of old friends and made some new ones. I look forward to this trip every year. Can't beat it
              Congrats on a Great time! A pile of dead birds don't always mean success in my book!

Comment

Originally posted by chehunt View Post
                Anybody have a lead on duck loads? I looked at Academy, BPS, walmart and cant find anything.
                I bought some Ken 3s at Gibsons in Weatherford a couple of weeks ago. Might give them a call and see if they still have some. That had several cases. They were sold by the case.

Comment

Congrats to all on the success. I'm still waiting for my first band. I figure I have about 10-15 years left to get one. Not good odds seeing as I've been looking for one for about 50 years.

Comment

Had a fast two man limit on Monday! Mostly teal with a few Gaddy’s. First time using Migra, and I was very impressed with it. The 2/4 stack was hammering stuff.

Cold front blowing in again this weekend, hope another push of birds will come through!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What choke is everyone using? I’m looking for a full. Thinking about picking up a Kicks

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                        What choke is everyone using? I’m looking for a full. Thinking about picking up a Kicks
                        My 870 is a fixed mod and my A300 might as well be because the trulock mod stays in it.

Comment

Patternmaster Code Black

Comment

I run a Carlson black cloud extended mod in my A300

Comment

Back when I duck hunted a bunch, usually shot a skeet choke. Still use it, just in a 20ga now.

We also had a rule not to start gunning them until the feet were down as well…..that is 95% of the game

Comment

Factory Mod in the Benelli with steel #2. Straight factory Cylinder in the Baretta 400A Plus with steel #4.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                                X