No announcement yet.

How many doe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you MLD? If so, I would talk with your biologist about the numbers you are seeing and ask for them to issue additional tags. We did that this year and were issued an additional 5 buck tags and 2 doe tags after our spotlight/camera surveys.

Comment

We hunted southern Kimble county many years and would shoot ~20 bucks and 50-75 does on 5,500 acres per year. This was pre MLD, but it seemed to work at the time. Probably could have shot many more that that way back when.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
        I think there is an interactive map on TPWD that you can estimate MLD tags based on a map and boundaries you draw. Might be a good resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Interesting, just ran our property that already is MLD. I had never seen this.

Said approx. 20 bucks and 50 does, we tend to shoot the opposite from this. The biologist told us t9 keep shooting bucks per our criteria and he will keep issuing tags. We do have a stronger buck ratio than doe though.

Also, I mapped a small acreage property I have that is part of a coop and I get two doe tags per year and a buck tag ever6 couple years, but the estimator said zero.
        Last edited by Greenheadless; 12-13-2021, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
          Interesting, just ran our property that already is MLD. I had never seen this.

Said approx. 20 bucks and 50 does, we tend to shoot the opposite from this. The biologist told us t9 keep shooting bucks per our criteria and he will keep issuing tags. We do have a stronger buck ratio than doe though.

Also, I mapped a small acreage property I have that is part of a coop and I get two doe tags per year and a buck tag ever6 couple years, but the estimator said zero.

Estimator does not take into account the biologist factor. It’s for the self managed option for the hunter program and biologists can issue what they feel needed for your situation.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
            Estimator does not take into account the biologist factor. It’s for the self managed option for the hunter program and biologists can issue what they feel needed for your situation.

Understood, but kinda misleading, especially for those smaller property options.

Comment

That calculator is wild. We usually shoot 25-30 does and 15-20 bucks a year. They are saying 36 bucks and 76 does for our place in Burnet County.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                Are you MLD?
                We are not. Those are the numbers set for by the landowner.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post
                  Maybe show him the estimator output? I am by no means an expert, but I know that on my little 300 acre lease it shows we should have 3 doe tags (which we do), but we have at least 15 doe that live on the property. That's just the ones that I will see on cam at the same time at separate stands. I think we should be at 4 or 5 at least depending on the fawn crop each year. So far it's not been an issue but I think in a year or two we will need to get more tags.

My guess is that estimator is going to be the low end of a biologist recommendation generally speaking. Sounds like you have an old school landowner that still holds to the "more does = more bucks" philosophy

Comment

Do you have 7 hunters?

Comment

wow! yall need to hammer some does for 2-3 years

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post

Sounds like your landowner is stuck in the old ways that believes not to shoot does.

A lot of older landowners and people in general believe things that aren’t based on any true management principles and practices and can actually detrimental to the herd health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I don’t see many does but I shoot each one that shows up until We reach our quota. We are shooting 12 on 330 acres, high fenced, MLD.

Comment

The number of doe to kill is based on managing high quality, natural browse. Hang with me...

Imagine attending a potluck dinner and you're the last guy through the line. All the good stuff (fried chicken, roast beef, mashed potatoes) is gone and all that remains are rubbery green beans and that macorini/pea salad. You don't know how many people showed up, but you know there wasn't enough high quality food for everyone. You can't increase the amount of food, so at subsequent parties, you reduce the number of people until the last guy through the line still gets good stuff.

So, there are browse plants on your place. Being able to identify the high quality species and monitor their degree of use and reproductive ability is key in knowing how many doe to kill. Of course it also requires a meaningful, science based estimate of population size, and it must also consider livestock impacts on the browse.

The online "Harvest Estimator" is not site-specific or habitat health based, but a quick generalized tool for guys that just wanna shoot some doe and don't see the need for professional guidance.

You and the landowner can get site-specific recommendations from a professional. Here's a great place to get started:

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                              The number of doe to kill is based on managing high quality, natural browse. Hang with me...

Imagine attending a potluck dinner and you're the last guy through the line. All the good stuff (fried chicken, roast beef, mashed potatoes) is gone and all that remains are rubbery green beans and that macorini/pea salad. You don't know how many people showed up, but you know there wasn't enough high quality food for everyone. You can't increase the amount of food, so at subsequent parties, you reduce the number of people until the last guy through the line still gets good stuff.

So, there are browse plants on your place. Being able to identify the high quality species and monitor their degree of use and reproductive ability is key in knowing how many doe to kill. Of course it also requires a meaningful, science based estimate of population size, and it must also consider livestock impacts on the browse.

The online "Harvest Estimator" is not site-specific or habitat health based, but a quick generalized tool for guys that just wanna shoot some doe and don't see the need for professional guidance.

You and the landowner can get site-specific recommendations from a professional. Here's a great place to get started:
                              https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/lan...county=Edwards
                              Yep, I would place internet biologists (like myself) at the same level as investment managers.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/lan...county=Edwards
                                Awesome stuff right here. I don't know much about the browse plants on our place but have decent knowledge of the population size for WT, exotics plus cattle. I journal every hunt and have been doing it for years but I am the only hunter doing it. I have suggested that maybe other should but no traction yet. This place is awesome and I see the potential. I am going to have a conversation with the LO this weekend about some of the things mentioned. I would like to talk to a local biologist but need to speak with the LO prior to doing so. Maybe I can convince him to make that call.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X