No announcement yet.

2021 Austin/Colorado/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The forecast for Sunday morning is looking pretty prime. Of course, getting out of bed at 3:30 in the morning when it's in the 30's outside is easier said than done...

Comment

had a buck sniffing a doe on camera last week. Sat and watched our shooter at the feeder from the breakfast table on Sunday morning. Freezer is full from a calf we hamburgered out.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
        The forecast for Sunday morning is looking pretty prime. Of course, getting out of bed at 3:30 in the morning when it's in the 30's outside is easier said than done...

Sunday should be a good one. After a few warm days, they should be moving good. Thats the type of hunt that calls for a longer sit than usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Speck View Post
          had a buck sniffing a doe on camera last week. Sat and watched our shooter at the feeder from the breakfast table on Sunday morning. Freezer is full from a calf we hamburgered out.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
            Sunday should be a good one. After a few warm days, they should be moving good. Thats the type of hunt that calls for a longer sit than usual.

I've been trying to sit from 6:00-10:00 for the morning hunts, but it's tough for me. I start getting ancy & cold after a couple hours . Only four weekends left though, so I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it. I already started some post season work in our "thick" woods area this past weekend. I transplanted ten boxelder saplings to see how hard it would be, and they came up pretty easy with the dirt ball intact around the roots. From what I've read, they're fast growing and are more of a "weedy" type tree, so they sound like a good option to add thickness to our "thick" area. I'm planning on transplanting a lot more of them over the next few months. Just about every one of them in the sapling stage on our property has been browsed on or rubbed.

Comment

It has been slow slow slow!

We need some COLD weather to get deer into plots more during the day

Comment

2021 Austin/Colorado/Fayette/Washington Counties Thread

Had a new buck we’ve never seen before and hes in there pushing does this morning. So go hunt if youre still looking for a goodun. As theyre moving.

Comment

I ended up not hunting this past Sunday morning. My office Christmas party was Saturday night, so the thought of getting about four hours of sleep & sitting in the cold didn't really make me feel hellbent on going. My dad sat yesterday morning and saw four does. I'll probably try to sit a few more times before the season is over to see what happens.

Comment

Sat twice this weekend and had multiple bucks come to corn. None of them paid any attention to the does.

Comment

There have been tons of deer on their feet the last 2 days here in Bellville. Not sure why with this warm humid weather!

Comment

Sat yesterday morning from about 7:30-10:45 and saw 8 does. That wind was CHILLY .

Comment

We seem to have new bucks popping up here and there. Most showed up two to three weeks ago and have become regulars now. Guess we will see if they stick around through summer as theyre already starting to eat some protein. So hoping that will help them want to stay actually.

Anybody feed cottonseed? If so, where do you buy it at?

Comment

I kept cottonseed out for over a year and could never get the deer to eat it. Finally packed it up and moved it out.I was bringing it from feed store in East Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                              I kept cottonseed out for over a year and could never get the deer to eat it. Finally packed it up and moved it out.I was bringing it from feed store in East Texas.

Im not real sure they’ll take to it. But if I could get them to, I sure would feed it. I guess ill bring some back from west Tx and try it out.

Comment

Thanks to this thread I found out a few things. One neighbor that bitched about other neighbors killing young deer killed a young deer that I had been passing. Another neighbor wounded one and he’ll probably die. I just need to give up on trying to raise decent bucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X