No announcement yet.

2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought y’all would dig this - just finished this strap for one of my duck-hunting buddies. Hope to be able to give it to him tomorrow at church!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, wind forecast is not looking good now, out of the SW and S at 7AM tomorrow. And 63 by 9AM.

I should have lined up some deer hunting, maybe? But looks like they ain't moving much either.

Oh well. Maybe next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
        Well, wind forecast is not looking good now, out of the SW and S at 7AM tomorrow. And 63 by 9AM.

I should have lined up some deer hunting, maybe? But looks like they ain't moving much either.

Go fishing! They’re biting!! I think our Christmas duck hunt got cancelled. Buddy has to work! Maybe take little man out of state after some slabs! Was looking forward to blasting some ducks again! Last weekend was fun! Best hunts he’s been on for sure!!

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
          Well 3rd hunt on a private lake. My buddy shot a ring neck, so after three hunts the skunk is off us.

Still scratching my head on how we need to set up.

All three hunts we've had ducks come in and circle the spread and then fly off. We are set up how he's always hunted out here, but for some reason they don't like the spread. Which is a simple spread at that. Couple of big ducks, feeder (wobbles), and five GWT.

Next week were setting up in a different spot on the lake and I'm thinking of replacing the GWT with gray ducks. And bring another feeder.

Still nice to have some place to go, and the fact we see birds I'm encourage to try to figure this out.

Fill that sucker with some corn and let the birds imprint this year.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsofshots View Post
            Thought y’all would dig this - just finished this strap for one of my duck-hunting buddies. Hope to be able to give it to him tomorrow at church!

Should keep it at 6 straps so there won't be any confusion. Other than that, it looks awesome. Need to make myself one

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
              Should keep it at 6 straps so there won't be any confusion. Other than that, it looks awesome. Need to make myself one

It’s an outlaw strap bro! All kidding aside, nice work.

Comment

Anybody on here been drawn for the Richland chambers trinity unit duck hunt? That’s the south unit, got drawn for January 7-8. Any insight would be great on what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
                  Anybody on here been drawn for the Richland chambers trinity unit duck hunt? That’s the south unit, got drawn for January 7-8. Any insight would be great on what to expect.

I'm pending second draw. I did get drawn and hunt the Carl Fentress unit last month. Had a great hunt that weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                    I'm pending second draw. I did get drawn and hunt the Carl Fentress unit last month. Had a great hunt that weekend.

Great to hear. I believe the trinity unit is the wooded WMA that is open to the public to hunt other animals just not duck or deer so i wasn’t sure if anybody has any insight on the property or if it holds birds.

Comment

Originally posted by 97JeepGuy View Post
                      Great to hear. I believe the trinity unit is the wooded WMA that is open to the public to hunt other animals just not duck or deer so i wasn’t sure if anybody has any insight on the property or if it holds birds.

I haven't hunted it for duck but I hunted it for archery deer last year. Going in and out we passed flooded timber that was holding hundreds of wood ducks. I've never seen that large numbers of wood ducks before. There were also a lot of mallards in the timber and small lakes as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                        I haven't hunted it for duck but I hunted it for archery deer last year. Going in and out we passed flooded timber that was holding hundreds of wood ducks. I've never seen that large numbers of wood ducks before. There were also a lot of mallards in the timber and small lakes as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

This is getting me quite excited. It looks like the dates we drew (7th-8th) is the first week they are allowing waterfowl hunting on the trinity unit. Should be a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsofshots View Post
                          Nice. The two extra are for geese. Made a call lanyard similar to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post

I was going to hunt Monday morning but decided I should work some. May hunt Monday afternoon. Never had much luck in the afternoon but better than working.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post

Ha, yea. Thought about that too, but I suppose there’s always the possibility of the random goose or 2. My thick leather duck strap from Cabela’s has 12 loops [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                                I was going to hunt Monday morning but decided I should work some. May hunt Monday afternoon. Never had much luck in the afternoon but better than working.

The last hour before sundown has been the best for me in the past, when I did evening hunts. Especially the last 30 minutes before sundown. Once it's quitting time (sundown), seems like they come pouring in. Wings a whistling like jet motors with mufflers.

Comment

Working...
                                X