No announcement yet.

Actual cost of an African hunt ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely worth the cost of admission!!!![emoji95][emoji817][emoji95] If you are considering RSA, Namibia or Botswana the above costs seem about right for my 5 or 6 trips. If you are considering Zambia [emoji1268] , Zimbabwe [emoji1269] , or [emoji1241] Tanzania I would suggest you multiply those estimates by 3 or 4, based on what species you are chasing.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
      lots of variables. Plane tickets depend on who you fly with and what time of year. Can be as low as $1100 or as high as $2100. Animals vary on the outfitter as well. Some outfitters are cheaper than others, but that usually reflects in the overall experience and the quality of animals. Some are over priced. Do your research and find an outfitter with a good balance of price and animal quantity/quality. The lodging will also vary by outfitter and length of stay. Tips for PH, Tracker, lodge staff, cook, skinners, etc. PH is about 150-200/day, tracker 200/trip, lodge staff 50-100/trip, cook 250/trip, skinners 50-100 trip. All that depends on length of trip as well. Getting them back you will incur dip/ship costs, clearing customs, and then of course all your taxidermy needs. I hesitate to put prices down since so much of it is variable, but those are the things you should expect to pay for. Any hotel stay before or after your hunt would be on you. Any day trip is generally extra.

I've been 4 times, all with Limcroma and can't come up with a single complaint about them. I will be taking the family back over there on my next trip and I will be chasing buffalo with my bow. Africa gets in your blood.
      A buddy and me went with Limcroma as well this year. I actually took my fiance so there was up charge for her). The initial package was about $3200 for 3 animals. We both ended up taking 9 of the plains games and averaged about $14k final fee for 8 days of hunting (that's each). Plain tickets were about $1,500, for hide prep and ship back was another $1,500. My total taxi bill for 9 animals (all wall pedestals except for a half body bushbuck and a euro wart hog) was about little over $11k. As other have mentioned this is spread out over 3 years about from the time you make your deposit with the outfitter, buy plane tickets (take your time and check constantly for deals), 6 months for delivery of animals, 2-2.5 years to taxi everything.

I can't speak highly enough of Limcroma. Great people, great animals, and great accommodations. You will find cheaper (not by much) but you get what you pay for. If you are taking family I would definitely recommend these guys.

Comment

When my wife and I went 5 years ago, I shot 6 animals. Kudu, Gemstone, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Red Hartebeest and a Warthog. All my taxidermy was European mou to with a Zebra rug and the rest flatskins.
        All in including taxidermy, flights, lodging, trophy fees, tips etc. was $17,500 for 7 days in the lodge and 10 days total getting there and coming back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

There is no "cheap" way to do Africa right. That said, the cheapest is the first trip because you always go back!!!

Comment

Fly Qatar Air, I went February 2020 airfare was about $700 RT Houston to Jburg. Checked the other day and still in that area. The earlier you hunt airfare is cheaper, there is a shoulder and peak season to airfare. June-August is the peak. Look on Africa Hunting some good deals there.

Comment

Actual cost of an African hunt ?

I did SA 2 years ago and shot an impala, warthog, kudu, blesbuck and bushbuck.
              Flight $1800
              Hunt and trophy fees $6500
              Dip and ship about $1000
              I still haven’t mounted any of them so that’s another $6000-8000 if I do them all.
              My buddy that went shot a Gemsbok, impala, blesbuck and nyala cow and spent about $3500 on trophy fees and other expenses about the same as mine.
              I can’t wait to go back!!! If you go try and add a few days to some photo safaris. We spent 3 days at Pilanasberg reserve and that was almost as incredible as the hunt. Saw the big 5 in just 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I flew United from Dallas to Newark NJ and to J'oberg and back in an upgrade to Economy Plus for $1800. Shot a Roan, Sable, Zebra Stallion and a Cape Buffalo. The price I paid for these animals is between my PH and myself, sorry. I do a lot for this outfit and get rewarded with prices breaks on critters.

Just got the cost for the 4 animals to be dipped and treated at the taxi in RSA for $950. Shipping is yet to be determined.

I will tell you this, and I am very biased, but look back at my posts from hunting with Harry Nel at African Arrow Safaris in 2008, 2010, 2012 and again this past Sept and the animals we shot will rival trophy wise any other bowhunting outfit only in Africa. There will be difference in costs between outfitters but also difference in trophy quality and opportunity also.

Several people on here have hunted with Harry and I have yet to see a bad review from any of them. Like others have said on here, you get what you pay for, but for a bowhunting outfitter only, African Arrow Safaris are as good as anyone in RSA!

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your experiences as I should be going on my first safari in '22 or '23 and definitely do not want to experience any of these unexpected downers.

Comment

Working...
                  X