2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
    Yes sir. That is what I'm hoping for on my property in Harrison County. Good luck this year.

Good luck to you as well.

What do you know, my Cell cam just captured a big body crossing behind the feeder. If its a doe, shes been eating well! Its head is right behind the hand crank but i’d put money on that being a buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
      Good luck to you as well.

What do you know, my Cell cam just captured a big body crossing behind the feeder. If its a doe, shes been eating well! Its head is right behind the hand crank but i’d put money on that being a buck

Your cam as very crappy timing.lol That's nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
        Your cam as very crappy timing.lol That's nuts.

It was on medium sensitivity. After this mishap, its on full sensitivity as well as burst mode

Comment

Went out this morning to a spot that was covered up with deer last Saturday. Still a lot of sign but only three does decided to cruise through. 10+ photos of bucks cruising the area. I think the bigger ones are already starting to chase in northern liberty county

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            Agreed. That's exactly what I'm seeing on our place in Houston County. I had a 2yr old, a 3 yr old, and a 5 yr old all at the feeder together eating out of the trough at night this weekend.
            On all three of my Houston co places plus leon co, a doe can't eat 45 seconds without a buck of some kind bumping her.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              On all three of my Houston co places plus leon co, a doe can't eat 45 seconds without a buck of some kind bumping her.

That's crazy how different places can be. We are just north of Grapeland in Houston County and had does all over us this weekend with young bucks in the area showing no interest yet. Some of the 2 and 3 yr olds were still running together. I expected it to change this past weekend but didn't see signs of it as of when I left Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                That's crazy how different places can be. We are just north of Grapeland in Houston County and had does all over us this weekend with young bucks in the area showing no interest yet. Some of the 2 and 3 yr olds were still running together. I expected it to change this past weekend but didn't see signs of it as of when I left Sunday.
                Same at our place in Trinity co. I am hoping its the calm before the storm.

Comment

I pulled cards yesterday in Polk county and still have a lot of activity and their eating a ton of corn and protein. Bucks are harassing the the does pretty hard but are still not showing what I want to see. Plenty of bucks showing but still not seeing anything over 4 1/2 years old. Three bucks that I’m waiting on from last year haven’t shown at all. If they don’t show shortly I’m gonna start wondering if the hard freeze we had in February hasn’t taken its toll on the older bucks. My bow stand has taken a hard hit this year as well. The timber company decided to start selling red dirt on our lease this year and I have a dozer and track hoe working 200 yards from my blind. Yesterday it sounded like they were in my pocket with the squeaky tracks and back up alarms. It’s taken it’s toll over there for sure. I’m not making any adjustments this late in the game. I need it to start raining again so they can’t work for awhile.

Comment

Nothing at the feeders during the daylight. So thats been about the same. I am seeing a few differences though.

When the bucks are feeding it is definitely not in groups, it is one at a time. When another buck does happen to come in, they do not feed the same time at gravity feeder and seems they keep a constant eye on each other. And it seems only the big boys are coming in. Younger ones must be to scared to take the chance. lol

So it does seem the bucks definitely moving to the competition mind set.

I am looking forward to the next couple weeks. At least when I am able to get out into the woods.

J

Comment

Like a light switch was flipped, both feed areas were covered in deer yesterday, last night, and this morning at my little spot in Trinity County. Does are still grouped up and the bucks (at least the ones i have pics of) are still hanging in groups of 2 and 3. However, their rear hocks are turning dark black. I bet we start seeing them split before long and are gorging themselves prior to wide open rut. I couldn’t buy a pic or a deer sighting since opening day, then BAM. They appear out of thin air.

Comment

i had some bucks show up on my 2 buck-less spots yesterday afternoon, nothing to shoot at but at least it was something besides doe.

my old spot has had a ton of young bucks all over it, all still grouped up.

Comment

Like a light switch was flipped, both feed areas were covered in deer yesterday, last night, and this morning at my little spot in Trinity County. Does are still grouped up and the bucks (at least the ones i have pics of) are still hanging in groups of 2 and 3. However, their rear hocks are turning dark black. I bet we start seeing them split before long and are gorging themselves prior to wide open rut. I couldn’t buy a pic or a deer sighting since opening day, then BAM. They appear out of thin air.
                          That is so weird. With the bucks staying apart at my place in Houston County, the dark glands is something I am not seeing yet.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                            That is so weird. With the bucks staying apart at my place in Houston County, the dark glands is something I am not seeing yet.

J

These guys are young, but new to my area as of this morning. I can’t speak for the rest of surrounding Trinity County or any of east texas for that matter, but the upcoming full moon is typically the first and hardest rut activity in my little area. Come Halloween, sightings usually fall off the map and pickup during first week of rifle

Comment

When I pulled cards yesterday at one location it smelled like a toilet full of urine that hadn’t been flushed in a week. Probably a fresh scrape in the area but I didn’t look for it.

Comment

These guys are young, but new to my area as of this morning. I can’t speak for the rest of surrounding Trinity County or any of east texas for that matter, but the upcoming full moon is typically the first and hardest rut activity in my little area. Come Halloween, sightings usually fall off the map and pickup during first week of rifle
                                Interesting...

Well, hoping to be at my place next week for a few days and then again the whole week after that, just before rifle opener.

I am crossing my fingers daylight activity and glands look more like yours when I get up there.

J

Comment

Working...
                                X