Buying land with abandoned above ground storage tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds expensive, and complicated.
    Look for another piece of property or enjoy the eye sore.

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
      sounds expensive, and complicated.
      Look for another piece of property or enjoy the eye sore.
      just depends on if it really matters to landowner. 99% of people are ok being head in sand on minerals/OG rights. To many, ignorance is bliss. Maybe nothing happens/maybe something happens. Its just a function of what you are comfortable with.

kind of funny when people complain about OG on their properties when they have every right to be there and everything was disclosed during the purchase. Purchaser just not doing their due diligence, or not caring/understanding.

Personally I think surface owners kind of get the shaft vs mineral owners/OG operators. The leases are usually ancient and deal done when land was used for cattle/farming not recreational or for houses like they are nowadays.

Comment

Sent you a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hope you have better luck than one owner has. An oil company has a number of tanks spread out over thousands of acres. Some are out of service but they won’t do anything unless you win a court judgment or the RR Commission forces action. Seen a lawsuit over it and other issues drag out indefinitely. Sadly not all oil companies and employees have a caring attitude towards the land owners.

We butted heads over other unrelated issues that kept occurring. Those appeared to be mainly due to problem employees who refused to shut gates and would let cattle out that had already been sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            I took a trailer full of crap to the yard the other day thinking id be happy with $ 40 and walked out with $116
            I am getting nearly $350/ton right now. CRazy

Comment

If you can tell me the general location I can look up the current operator according to the RRC

Comment

Y’all ever hear of the Golden Rule ? Them that has the gold make the rules ! That’s the state of affairs in Texas with oil companies, politicians, and the RR Commission. It should be that way but it is. As a landowner, just plan on being a large pain-in-the-azz if you want that stuff cleaned up. The environmental angle may be the way to go, but be very careful because the feds don’t really care who they punish. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  You might also consider having a Phase II environmental site assessment conducted. Old oilfield equipment likely means historic spills, which could mean liability for contamination clean up. May not be a big deal if there aren’t any creeks or other water bodies nearby. A Phase II ESA will protect you from liability, but it must be done prior to closing on the property.
                  X2

Buck Verde, it is a good idea to research what txpitdog is suggesting you consider for the subject property.

Comment

Working...
                  X