Police Scanners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police Scanners

Were any of y'all ever into these back in the day.. before the internet, cell phones, Motorola pagers and etc..

I remember my grandparents listening at night for hours, it played in the background, while the baseball game or news was on TV

I remember in about 1985 my grandpa spent several hundred dollars on a Bearcat scanner. He would dial those numbers after dark and we'd be entertained for hours listening to the police, emergency services, radio talk and etc
    Last edited by WalkieTalkie; 06-22-2019, 02:25 PM.

Ha, brings back some memories. My grandparents had one as well. I was too young to remember specifics about make or model.

Comment

My wife's grandmother had one until our area went digital. My parents had one as well.

Comment

Ha heck yeah, my grandpa even knew who was who, and all the codes , and I have his scanner from his office in my office ( only thing I can pickup now days is a weather alert and the aviation report in New airport

I got arrested one time on Halloween for throwing eggs and he and my mom came down to the jail. Nobody even had to call them , he had a portable one to in his car
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 06-22-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
          Ha, brings back some memories. My grandparents had one as well. I was too young to remember specifics about make or model.

Cobra?

Ha, the CB craze of the 70’s

Comment

You can download free apps for scanners now

Comment

Heck, my father-in-law had one that ran 24/7. Sat on the night stand by his bed. He couldn't fall asleep without that dang thing jabbering in the background...

Comment

5-0 radio app on my IPhone works well

Comment

crystals, man, crystals.

Comment

Lol! This model is pretty close to the one I remember him having back in 85'
                    Attached Files

Comment

When I started patrolling, my parents got one. It can be a blessing and curse having your dad listen to you on the radio.

We had a pretty bad call one time that ended in the bad guy getting shot by us. But before that happened dispatch told me that bad guy was on foot running in my direction. I grabbed my shotgun and exited my unit. Ended up having to close the channel several times while searching for the guy in barns and what not. Dad was a nervous wreck listening to that.

Comment

My stepdad was a sheriffs officer, and my mother worked as a dispatcher, so yea we had a scanner going almost constantly...

Matter of fact I think I have one sitting in the garage somewhere right now

Comment

Yea my grandmother had one in the kitchen and it was on all the time.

Comment

Yeah it sucked when they would blast your name on it and the whole small town would know.

Comment

My grandfather had one and left it to me. I can't pick anything up

Comment

Working...
                              X