No announcement yet.

6.5 Grendel on Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive shot a lot of deer with my grendel. Its absolutely great for deer. 123 amax bullets. No longer made though, I have a stash of em.

Comment

It came down to those two calibers (6.5 Grendel vs 6.8 SPC II)for me as well. The 6.5 Grendel shoots flatter and maintains more energy further out. I knew I wanted a 16" barrel or less in the ar15 platform, and 95% of my shots are under 200 yards. These circumstances gave the 6.8 SPC II the slight advantage ballistically. But what really tipped the scale for me was that I don't reload, and the 6.8 had more factory hunting ammo options commercially available than the 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

I've been following along and it looks like a lot of you really like the Grendel.
        What are your opinions about bolt action vs AR Grendel?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
          I've been following along and it looks like a lot of you really like the Grendel.

Just a personal thing ,but if CZ or howa would make a Grendel in left hand I would be all over it. My son shot his friends 7.62x39 in a cz & said it was sweet. I have no issues with my Grendel in the AR ,just like bolt guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post

just depends on if you want to go pew.....pew.....pew.....pew OR pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pe w.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew

Comment

I like the concept of the ar platform. But I'm the guy who's not happy with 1 inch groups at 100 yards.. I have yet to find an ar that I can make shoot as well as a bolt gun.. for most practical applications the ar works fine..

Comment

Originally posted by jds247 View Post
                I like the concept of the ar platform. But I'm the guy who's not happy with 1 inch groups at 100 yards.. I have yet to find an ar that I can make shoot as well as a bolt gun.. for most practical applications the ar works fine..

Some of the videos on youtube show 1/2” to 1” at 100. The PSA 20” 6.5 creedmore AR hits steel at 1000 repeatedly. They have come a loooong way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a group the guy that installed my new barrel shot. 18" odin with tune-able gas block and hornady black ammo.
                  So some AR can and will shoot well under a inch.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Love mine and it’s deadly. I paid less than 300 bucks for bearcreak upper. Shoots under an inch all day

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

123gr SSTs, no tracking needed.

Your boy's hat game is strong.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                        Thanks for the replies. Guess i will be ordering an upper pretty soon.

Dale, any suggestions on Optics? I have the Nikon P223 but i dont think the mil dots transfer to any other caliber offerings

I'm using a Leupold MARK AR 3x9x40. It's awesome. Price is not bad if you look around.

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                          My furthest with my 12.5” 6.5 G SBR has been 381 yds.
                          At that distance it is still moving around 1750fps with 840 lbs of energy.

What kind of muzzle velocities are you getting out of the 12.5" barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
                            X2
                            I would like to know this as well. Thats the reason i started this thread because im looking hard at the PSA 20” upper in 6.5 grendel.

I shot 8 hogs in two groups last week with my 223. Shooting the hornady 55 grain spire point. First hog shot in the face actually ran off. The group ran to me, and i hit 3 more point blank in the neck and shoulders. Visible blood and they made it 200+ yards to the neighbors.

Second group busted out and i hit 4 more, dropping one.

The 223 is fun, but i want a little more knock down power if i continue to hunt with an AR.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            The Grendel is your piece.

I have the 20" PSA upper. It shoots the 123 SST better than the 120 Fusion MSR in my gun. I can get right at 1" five shot groups at 100 yards with the SST's about 1.5" with the MSR. I only have 40 or so rounds down the tube. The last two 5" groups were better than the first two.

I've killed three hogs with it. Including my biggest boar ever. Very noticeable improvement in terminal performance over a 5.56.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                              just depends on if you want to go pew.....pew.....pew.....pew OR pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pe w.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew.pew

Side charging Gibbz Arms upper. No gas tube and block gas port with solid block = bolt action AR. Works great!

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                                Your boy's hat game is strong.

Thanks, those are his go to's if he's not playing ball. We took him to the Troubadors show when they played near our deer lease. I bet no less than 8 people have tried to trade him out of that hat. New Braunfels/Gruene is is favorite road trip in the summer time.

Comment

Working...
                                X