Roof top tent talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bowtech32 View Post
    I saw this today that was intriguing that was sent to me, called a shift pod. Looks like they use these for FEMA as emergency shelters. Insulated and a heavy duty zip in floor. Still really interested in RTT, but this is like a portable cabin at nearly 12 x 12

These are gaining popularity. It’s kinda funny, they all have an “exit” sign on the inside, because the door looks just like the walls. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well finally got around to figuring out the next setup, and then spent some time (and money) making it work.

I built this rack for my 17’ F350 long bed, so I cut it down to fit my 22’ 250 shortbed week before last. Then I installed the RTT (CVT Denali), awning (OVS 270*), Ranchhand Midnight bumper, DECKED, and Carli 2.5” Backcountry suspension. I’m in it way more than I’d like to be, but a bit of wheeling and dealing used saved me a ton of money. Not to mention I already had some of it from my 17’.

We took it out this weekend, and I’m loving everything about the setup except for the tent. My CVT Shasta was extremely quick and easy to setup and take down. The Denali is twice the size, but at least 3X the setup and take down. I had a CVT Rainier previously, and it was perfect. Large size, but just as easy and quick to setup/takedown as my Shasta. I mistakenly assumed the Denali would be the same. Nope. Extra braces, and way more tent material to get stuffed back inside the cover for takedown. The tent is fantastic once setup, BUT I will hate it for our trips where we move camp every night. The Shasta could be setup in 3-4 minutes, and I took it down in less than 8. The Denali is 15 minutes up, and takedown is too close to 30 for my liking. Going to have to rethink this one although the size is perfect for our uses.
      Attached Files

Comment

Why can’t you just sleep on the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
          Why can’t you just sleep on the ground
          How many people do you see in here complaining of camping in the Texas summer heat just in this thread alone?

I’m not sure if you know it, but airflow is 5x better 6-7’ off the ground than it is on the ground. I ground camp a lot, I also hammock camp, and I also roof top tent camp. Why do you hunt deer? There’s way more fun game.

Comment

I’ll be more specific. Airflow is considerably better off the ground. Heat isn’t as much of an issue in a RTT in the Texas summer. Secondly, the wife is a lot more comfortable away from the creepy crawlies and is more willing to camp, and it’s actually considerably more comfortable than a ground tent. I prefer hammock camping when weather allows. I feel the best after a hammocks night sleep. I feel the worst after a backpack tents night sleep with just a small inflatable air pad. RTT has a reasonably comfortable mattress inside. I sleep pretty well. IMO all 3 beat a travel trailer, which I absolutely despise. They’re far too cumbersome for mediocre comfort.
            Last edited by TX03RUBI; 10-05-2022, 04:11 PM.

Comment

How is condensation in these? If mounted on your vehicle, I would think you'd have to let it "dry out" before packing it up or have to do it when you get back home?
              I'm really liking the lower profile (closed) of the ikamper or something similar, especially if I mount it on a vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post
                How is condensation in these? If mounted on your vehicle, I would think you'd have to let it "dry out" before packing it up or have to do it when you get back home?
                I'm really liking the lower profile (closed) of the ikamper or something similar, especially if I mount it on a vehicle.

Condensation happens when closed up for sure. I typically have the windows open with the screens up, which helps a lot. If we close up in the AM I’ve let it dry out when we get home, but a lot of the times I close up later morning or afternoon when possible. My wall tent is far worse, but then again so is the airflow.

Comment

I think airflow is dependent on the area and season. If it’s July with a 2 mph wind and trees all around airflow is going to be low in either. Think it’s more for the cool aspect and critters. I looked into one for awhile and still can’t think of the necessity of one vs regular tent. Regular tent is more versatile as well you can set up anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell8 View Post
                    I think airflow is dependent on the area and season. If it’s July with a 2 mph wind and trees all around airflow is going to be low in either. Think it’s more for the cool aspect and critters. I looked into one for awhile and still can’t think of the necessity of one vs regular tent. Regular tent is more versatile as well you can set up anywhere.
                    So you’ve looked into one and not used one? Of course if you’re completely surrounded by trees airflow is going to suck in either, but I’ve spent time camping in both in the same area. As well as camping with buddies on the ground next to me while I was in my RTT. I can tell you who was more comfortable every time. This wasn’t looking into them either. It was actual usage. I’ve got 2 ground tents, a RTT, a wall tent, and 2 hammocks. I use all of them in their respective places.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                      So you’ve looked into one and not used one? Of course if you’re completely surrounded by trees airflow is going to suck in either, but I’ve spent time camping in both in the same area. As well as camping with buddies on the ground next to me while I was in my RTT. I can tell you who was more comfortable every time. This wasn’t looking into them either. It was actual usage. I’ve got 2 ground tents, a RTT, a wall tent, and 2 hammocks. I use all of them in their respective places.
                      I’m sold thanks. Buying one next year!

Comment

A burb can haul everything you own and comfortably sleep 2
                        Attached Files

Comment

Used ones are all over Facebook marketplace.
                          Seems a whole lot of folks bought them and don’t use them and trying to recover some money. Seen lots of vids on them, I would want one for those prices but I’m sure they fill a need for some folks.

Comment

Originally posted by coach2 View Post
                            The only reason I would not want one is because I would want to use my truck or SUV during the day and would have to tear down camp every day
                            23Zero 62 Walkabout with an Annex mounted on a Trailer will solve that issue.

This tent and trailer spent 3 weeks in Colorado and Moab, Utah through rain and wind with ZERO ISSUES.

When it is cold, I have a generator that will run a small heater, that I place in the annex and the heat rises into the sleeping area. When it is hot I place a window unit right under the tent in the storage area and run a duct through one of the tent windows and then I have air conditioner LOL. If you have any questions get in touch with me.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tgil View Post

The one that I own is vented at the top and bottom so condensation is of no concern for me

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                                Used ones are all over Facebook marketplace.
                                Seems a whole lot of folks bought them and don’t use them and trying to recover some money. Seen lots of vids on them, I would want one for those prices but I’m sure they fill a need for some folks.
                                The only way to buy IMO. I’ve paid less than a 1/3 of new cost for lightly used models. No way they’re worth the $2500+ they sell for new.

Comment

Working...
                                X