Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a paint sprayer work for a house interior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a paint sprayer work for a house interior?

I know nothing about painting (as if my question didn’t tell you that). I have a house that needs lots of repair in order to sell it. One thing I need to do is repaint the entire interior. To save some time I was thinking maybe I could spray the interior walls, ceiling, kitchen cabinets, and pantry. These would all be some type of white. Then I would go back and brush paint baseboards, window trim, etc, brown. Any tips, and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

It works fine. Lots of overspray. Prep is the key. You will use a lot more paint too. I sprayed my whole inside, (ceiling flat white, and walls another color) in about 3/4 of a day.

Comment

In my experience I would say that you would not be saving much time because of all the tape that has to be put up. But you will be trading that for a higher quality finish. I just dabbled my feet into the spray gun world and have both HVLC and airless. HVLC is my preferred, but wear a mask. You will lose a few brain cells if you don't.

Remember that two light coats is better than 1 heavy coat.

Comment

I used my sprayer when I rebuilt the wife’s closet. Turned out great

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
          In my experience I would say that you would not be saving much time because of all the tape that has to be put up. But you will be trading that for a higher quality finish. I just dabbled my feet into the spray gun world and have both HVLC and airless. HVLC is my preferred, but wear a mask. You will lose a few brain cells if you don't.

Remember that two light coats is better than 1 heavy coat.

I’m looking at both types online at Home Depot. Can anyone recommend which one will work best for me? I’d like to knock the painting out in a day if possible. I understand there will be much more prep work involved. I plan to do that part tomorrow then paint Friday. Probably get two 5 gallon buckets of paint and get to spraying. No idea if that will be enough paint or not, but I will find out.
          Last edited by AntlerCollector; 06-29-2022, 12:05 AM.

Comment

My dad has this sprayer and has sprayed 100's of gallons of paint through it. He owned several duplexes and repainted in between every tenant for years. Not to mention I've built 2 houses that we painted inside and out with.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk
            Last edited by LivinADream; 06-29-2022, 03:35 AM.

Comment

We have the Graco and its been a good investment. As Ded Duck said lots of overspray but well worth it. On our rent houses we normally paint walls and ceiling the same color and break it up with white crown.Clean the gun,tank,lines up good and it will hold up well.

Comment

I would forget the brush idea. Spray the trim first, mask it off and spray the walls.

Comment

Airless is the way to go. You may be able to rent one.

Comment

I'm retired from painting but would suggest you rent a Graco from home depot. Lot of prep work required. If the ceiling is the same color it will go fast.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

No hill for a stepper like you AC. Get after it!!

Comment

Spray is definitely easier. As others have said prep, taping, masking is key but the overall process is much faster than traditional rolling and cut in for me. Depending on ceiling height it can be much much easier. I bought the titan from Home Depot years ago and have done my whole house. Have a power roller and the gun with extensions.

The one thing I do notice. Rolling spreads paint typically much thicker and covers up slight imperfections in the texture vs repairs etc. the spray is much thinner and typically carries that texture finish through each layer.

Comment

Yes but brown baseboards…NO!!! Seek counseling.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            Yes but brown baseboards…NO!!! Seek counseling.

Will do. I only said brown because sadly that’s the existing color.

Thanks guys. Looks like I will check on renting one from Home Depot or just buying the graco.

Yes, I’m gonna do walls and ceiling the same color.

Comment

Prep- tape- and tape some more- Get 2 aluminum shields. Use one and hand off to go get cleaned while using the other. It’s a 3 person job to do it right. One spraying- one moving sprayer and 5 gallon bucket- one cleaning and keeping everything going smooth that comes up. Don’t try and spray thick or it’s a mess with runs. It makes it easier but it’s still painting

Comment

Working...
                              X