Aerobic Septic Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aerobic Septic Question

Last month my wife came home to a flooded bathroom and the septic alarm going off. I tested the pump and the sprinklers didn’t go off. I pumped it out some to get us by until the septic company could be there the next day. Guy comes out, pulls the pump and it’s clogged. Cleaned it out put it back in and it clogged again within a few minutes. He told me it needed to be completely pumped out, but they couldn’t get here until the end of June. He took the screen off the pump and removed one of the sprinkler heads and said that would keep it going until I could get it pumped. It’s been working fine until Sunday.

I got home and noticed the toilets weren’t flushing very well. Went to the overflow pipe behind the house. Pulled the cap and it was full of water. I pumped it out directly from the overflow pipe and noticed there was still a little water coming from the tank side of the pipe. I thought there might be a clog between the overflow and the first tank. Rented a drain snake this afternoon and there’s no clog. When I test the pump, the sprinklers come on so I don’t think it’s the pump. I pulled the lids off all 3 tanks. The solids tank and the third tank are swirling and gurgling like I think they’re supposed to. The middle tank where the pump is, the water appears to be low. It’s well below the pipe that I put the chlorine tablets in. Right now I’m pumping in directly out of the overflow between every major water usage. Baths, showers, etc. any ideas what’s going on? I don’t know anything about septics and my wife’s not gonna be happy if we have to do all this pumping until they can get here to pump it out.

I took some pics (sorry for the gross factor) but I’m not sure where to go from here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	94B713C1-9888-4655-9498-603EF6B225B8.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	25284047

Name:	DB9E9CBF-E17C-4901-8772-AE641487F791.jpeg
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	25284048

Name:	34D4E769-612D-44CB-BFDA-9D562618E55B.jpeg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	25284049

Name:	69C8C008-F431-4A51-BDAA-270BCF576E2C.jpeg
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	25284050

I don’t know if your having the same issue but mine is very sensitive to the type of toilet paper we use. It happened to us about 3 times until my septic guy said to use “ Angel Soft” septic safe. We were using charmin up to that point. Switched toilet paper and have never had another issue.

Comment

I’d find another company that can pump it out now so they can see what’s going on. When was last time it’s been cleaned? You should be able to get someone out to pump in a couple of days max. End of June for a pump out is unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
        I’d find another company that can pump it out now so they can see what’s going on. When was last time it’s been cleaned? You should be able to get someone out to pump in a couple of days max. End of June for a pump out is unreal.
        The system is about 4-5 years old and it’s never been pumped out. I’ve called two other companies. One told me the same thing, other one hasn’t called back. I’m going to call the one that’s scheduled tomorrow and explain what’s going on. Maybe they can move it up in an emergency. I wasn’t too concerned about the time until this problem started yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
          I don’t know if your having the same issue but mine is very sensitive to the type of toilet paper we use. It happened to us about 3 times until my septic guy said to use “ Angel Soft” septic safe. We were using charmin up to that point. Switched toilet paper and have never had another issue.
          We use Charmin. Constantly on my kids about the amount of toilet paper they use. 😡

Will give it a try. Thanks

Comment

Sounds like a clog between the first and 2nd tanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mtltx View Post
              This ^. We had the same issue and switched Scott’s Septic safe, never clogged again.

Funny I had to replace the main pump last week because I heard the gurgling noise from the toilet and checked the tanks, they were completely full. I used a 5 gallon bucket to remove enough water to get us through the night. New pump installed and it’s good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
                Sounds like a clog between the first and 2nd tanks
                That’s what I’m now thinking. If it is, will the pump out solve that?

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                  That’s what I’m now thinking. If it is, will the pump out solve that?
                  Yes. They should pump it out and clean tanks and lines in between.

Comment

We had to have our pumped at 3 1/2 years. They say every couple but that has never had to be done in my experience. Sounds full to me.

Comment

I've never heard anything good about aerobic systems...Including my BIL's....
                      Last time, I had a "regular" septic system. I had it pumped
                      once, in 15 years... And really, the only reason I had it pumped,
                      was the lid got a large crack in it..And I just had it done, while it
                      was open...
                      Good luck, OP....

Comment

They will pump the tanks only- you will have to unclog it

Comment

What tank is your pump in? Should be in the last one (number 3). Both tanks 2 and 3 should remain "full" at all times. The tank with the pump should be the least full.

If pump is working as it should, and you are still backing up, you have a clog somewhere before 3rd (pump) tank.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                            What tank is your pump in? Should be in the last one (number 3). Both tanks 2 and 3 should remain "full" at all times. The tank with the pump should be the least full.

If pump is working as it should, and you are still backing up, you have a clog somewhere before 3rd (pump) tank.
                            I believe some of the clearstreams brands have the tanks out of order with the pump in the middle chamber.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

When they pump your tank, leave the aerator off. Use your garden hose to refill.
                              When it is full, turn it on. It will save wear and on the aerator.

Comment

Working...
                              X